DT Tywone Malone enters Portal

If you want some Polys here, you might need to have a little loss leader with Joe as our Poly guy. DT recruiting isn't an A+ right now, but we got two dudes from the portal, two young guys, and we have been in the mix for seemingly a dozen others...but we have one of the best OL in the nation as a freshman, his stud mike backer brother, too, and you need to give Joe credit for those guys, too...we don't get an Uce without him around, even if he's not the lead recruiter.

I don't think this is a keep him or fire him situation. He certainly has value with recruiting Usos (but not DT-playing Usos for some reason) . He isn't great at DT recruiting. He also isnt currently in charge of DL game planning or on field practice (that's JTs job now). Functionally he is basically an analyst with DT recruiting responsibilities. As far as I understand it, an analyst can still make phone calls and meet with recruits on campus (maybe Cristobal has to think in 4 dimensions and get Big Joe a sweet bachelor pad within a mile of campus). I don't think we lose much of the Polynesian recruiting if Joe is an analyst,but I think we can make a big improvement at DT recruiting with a better DT recruiter.

Advertisement
Mauigoa's. Plural lol. All the Poly's giving us a look is because of Joe. Take that to the bank. If Joe is not here, we'd be crying for another replacement on the Oline and a starting MLB.

Joe is under appreciated. Take a look at how many Poly kids now visiting and considering the U. Since when? I agree with the take its both Joe and Taylors responsibility for the whole Dline now. All our guys not named Cristobal or Maribal need to do more.
It’s great Miami is getting more poly kids to look at them, good for Joe. But unless they sign with Miami (obviously not all) then just getting a look is irrelevant. Hopefully Joe is able to get some to sign.

I’ll hold off Judgment on Taylor, Guidry, Shannon, Harris, Beard, and Nicholson until they have a full recruiting period. 10000000000% Addae needs to be better

It’s great Miami is getting more poly kids to look at them, good for Joe. But unless they sign with Miami (obviously not all) then just getting a look is irrelevant. Hopefully Joe is able to get some to sign.

I’ll hold off Judgment on Taylor, Guidry, Shannon, Harris, Beard, and Nicholson until they have a full recruiting period. 10000000000% Addae needs to be better

We literally just landed the Mauigoa brothers. Sigh.

Mauigoa's. Plural lol. All the Poly's giving us a look is because of Joe. Take that to the bank. If Joe is not here, we'd be crying for another replacement on the Oline and a starting MLB.

Joe is under appreciated. Take a look at how many Poly kids now visiting and considering the U. Since when? I agree with the take its both Joe and Taylors responsibility for the whole Dline now. All our guys not named Cristobal or Maribal need to do more.

Imho, Joe gets canned & Francis transfers to UT Knoxville. Nico is there, the bag is there, + they just had a top 10 first round pick on the OL. Joe’s relationship w/ the family sealed off UT Knox. If Joe’s not here, Francis & most likely Francisco r in Knoxville. It was that close; Joe was the pendulum to swing it in our favor.

Imho, Joe gets canned & Francis transfers to UT Knoxville. Nico is there, the bag is there, + they just had a top 10 first round pick on the OL. Joe’s relationship w/ the family sealed off UT Knox. If Joe’s not here, Francis & most likely Francisco r in Knoxville. It was that close; Joe was the pendulum to swing it in our favor.

You think if he was a defensive analyst for UM, any of that changes? His family relationship wasn't going to disappear.

Advertisement
I don't wanna know how often we won the offseason based on star rankings and analysis by some 247 reporter.

Like, I hate to be that way, but I'm not jumping on any hypetrain until the games are being played. I can, for semantics sake, make all preseason rankings regarding Miami Hurricanes recruiting a TBD for that sake.

I'm thinking game to game right now. Not about how many wins we can, should, could have this season.
Sharing data bud, but remember you had a subjective opinion about our class, be able to read differing OPINIONS. Of course all that matters is games , but we are not playing right now are we!

You think if he was a defensive analyst for UM, any of that changes? His family relationship wasn't going to disappear.

He's essentially that anyway give JT is a DL not a DE coach. This is all semantics at this point, it won't change one thing with the portal. Let JT get to work.

Allow me to summarize the conversation so far

Me: Big Joe isn't recruiting DTs well but he recruits Polynesians at positions other than DT well

Joe Bros: Yeah, well he recruits Polynesians at positions other than DT well

Me: I literally just said that. He recruits at positions other than the ones that fall under his official job title of DL coach well. He also doesn't coach DL during practice or gameplan. So maybe Cristobal can move him to an analyst position so we can keep his ability to recruit non DT playing Polynesians, and hire a better DT recruiter /developer (because that's not JTs specialty either).

Joe Bros: BOOOOO WHY DO YOU WANT TO FIRE HIM SO MUCH, HE RECRUITS POLYNESIAN PLAYERS WHO DON'T PLAY DT

Me:
Arnold Schwarzenegger I Give Up GIF by Jerology

Almost all recruitments are that close. Kids have lots of great options. Francisco can't transfer (theoretically, sigh) without sitting out now. And I don't think Francis goes without his bro.

But I also think you aren't giving the bonds that kids create once they arrive enough credit. The bonds Francis has with Mario, Alex and his teammates are significant (though not foolproof of course), and he's doing really well so far. He might have came because of Joe, but Joe isn't coaching him. He's a Hurricane and he is recruiting IMG kids hard. Plenty of kids transfer, but most don't, especially 5-stars who are doing well at their first stop. This year there was only one kid in the portal that had a 5-star transfer rating... Hunter from Jax St., and we know all about that ****show.

Mario was trying to help Joe get an NFL job this year, if he thought he was going to lose those kids I don't think he would have been doing that.

Is it possible? Sure. But I certainly wouldn't project it.

Advertisement
Mario wanted Joe to leave. either way, I was critical of his recruiting and at DT, hes been bad, but I will absolutely will give him a ton of credit for securing our best recruit in forever. beyond that, you can be critical of this staff and the HC, but recruiting is one area Mario got covered. he knows these kids better than anyone. if he had any inkling that it would cost him Frances, he wouldn't have pushed Joe to leave

Almost all recruitments are that close. Kids have lots of great options. Francisco can't transfer (theoretically, sigh) without sitting out now. And I don't think Francis goes without his bro.

But I also think you aren't giving the bonds that kids create once they arrive enough credit. The bonds Francis has with Mario, Alex and his teammates are significant (though not foolproof of course), and he's doing really well so far. He might have came because of Joe, but Joe isn't coaching him. He's a Hurricane and he is recruiting IMG kids hard. Plenty of kids transfer, but most don't, especially 5-stars who are doing well at their first stop. This year there was only one kid in the portal that had a 5-star transfer rating... Hunter from Jax St., and we know all about that ****show.

Mario was trying to help Joe get an NFL job this year, if he thought he was going to lose those kids I don't think he would have been doing that.

Is it possible? Sure. But I certainly wouldn't project it.

Have u seen the transfer portal, lately? And u wanna tell me to give credit to bonds? Lol. The real bond is w/ Joe.

Mario wanted Joe to leave. either way, I was critical of his recruiting and at DT, hes been bad, but I will absolutely will give him a ton of credit for securing our best recruit in forever. beyond that, you can be critical of this staff and the HC, but recruiting is one area Mario got covered. he knows these kids better than anyone. if he had any inkling that it would cost him Frances, he wouldn't have pushed Joe to leave
Season 3 Episode 304 GIF by Rick and Morty

No not at all; Joe is not even coaching him. Lol. If he’s moved to an off field position, that would change nothing, imo. If Joe’s father gets a call from Mario to come pick up his kid, then maybe that’s a different situation. Lol

Advertisement

Addae gets zero credit for Stafford or Damari Brown? Zero credit for Davonte Brown, Davis or Richard? Yes, because kids want to waste a year or more playing for a coach who they think sucks.

Advertisement
Sharing data bud, but remember you had a subjective opinion about our class, be able to read differing OPINIONS. Of course all that matters is games , but we are not playing right now are we!
247 star rankings aren't data to me, they are subjective ranking by couch potatoes that are actively influenced by the liking of the program aka "Miami commits get a downgrade the instant they commit to Miami".

Its a recruiting service that I absolutely cannot take serious at all.

Ehhh. I say let it live.

Two mokes going at it tooth and nail over which one's half-baked opinion is more right (no judgment - quite often I find myself to be half of that equation) has got to be exactly what Al Gore had in mind when he invented the internet, right?
Now that you mention it, consolidating it to one location is probably best 😂

Advertisement
Back