Drake Maye vs Miami Defense

He may be the best pure athlete out of all the Maye brothers. This dude can really spin the ball w/ accuracy. It’s still early, but I like what this kid brings.

Our saving grace is UNC’s def is putrid & running game is not “as good” as previous yrs.

UNC Def is 120th:
-112th against the run
-113th in scoring allowed
-102nd against the pass

UNC’s Run Game is ranked 38th (was ranked 18th last season & 11th in ‘20)

So schematically, in this area we should be good, since we’re 38th in scoring (and yes, I know the BCU game have skewed that rank), we have the 47th ranked rushing offense, & 11th rush def. Those r the positives.

My concern? UNC is 6th in Offense, & 12th in passing. Our pass def?? BBW Booty Cheeks at 94th, while our scoring def is 33rd.

Just a FYI on James Madison, since that’s been a point of emphasis in our loss to MTSU:

Did u know JMU have the #1 def & #29 offense? They are also the #8 scoring offense in the nation. They are 33-5 in since 2019 & 42-9 since 2018. They just made the jump to FBS this yr & r already 4-0. **** good football program. North Dakota State need to make that move, too. Doesn’t excuse the MTSU game, but we can remove that narrative from the equation.
How many times have:
- Miami defenses made even below average QBs look like Joe Montana?
- Miami offenses made even below average defenses look like the '85 Bears?

Answer:
way too many times

Advertisement
Hmmm, you think Maye is better than Cunningham from MTSU?. Holy touchdown Batman, could Miami be humiliated two times in a row?

Advertisement
How many times have:
- Miami defenses made even below average QBs look like Joe Montana?
- Miami offenses made even below average defenses look like the '85 Bears?

Answer:
way too many times

Hence, my concerns. We “should” be able to score on them. This will be the worst defense we’ll face in FBS all yr, so hoping we can light up the score board, at least, & make a few plays on defense to pull it off.

Hence, my concerns. We “should” be able to score on them. This will be the worst defense we’ll face in FBS all yr, so hoping we can light up the score board, at least, & make a few plays on defense to pull it off.
I love your hope.

I'll bring the potato salad if you cook the ribs.

Advertisement
I need to just watch the dang recorded MTSU game....because I'll never understand until I do.

We got no shot? @Rellyrell say it ain't so my dude.

I need the level headed posters to let me know if we really looking like a 4-8 team outchea

If they win this week UNC has a very favorable schedule the rest of the way. An away game at Wake is the only real obstacle. Then again, we know how the Coastal is.
Wake is not a conference game as stupid as that is. They have a yearly series with them unless they are the Atlantic crossover.

Man if he ends up being better than Howell, we're in trouble. Howell was 3-0 against us. Your post is on point. He does everything well and has only started 5 games
Maye is better than Howell and has a higher ceiling. IMO he’s the better pro prospect and has a better chance of starting in the league. He’s not wreckless with the ball either.

But that doesn’t have anything to do with him never losing to us like Howell. He doesn’t have the running backs or receiving core that Howell did. And somehow his defense is worse than when Howell was there.

Advertisement
We said the same thing in 2020 and only put up 26 points. And that Miami offense was 50 times better than this year.

The worst part about it? Kid is a tall lanky awkward looking guy but he will walk away from Flagg on the scramble

Advertisement
Maye is better than Howell and has a higher ceiling. IMO he’s the better pro prospect and has a better chance of starting in the league. He’s not wreckless with the ball either.

But that doesn’t have anything to do with him never losing to us like Howell. He doesn’t have the running backs or receiving core that Howell did. And somehow his defense is worse than when Howell was their.
I think Howell was average at best and yea I agree he did have 2 studs at rb. Haven't watched UNC this year so should be interesting.

Advertisement
Back