Don't Shoot The Messenger But...

Advertisement
This coaching search is going to be such a massive letdown. As much as we're going to rejoice when/if Golden is finally tossed headfirst out the door, the names being thrown around represent final nails in this program's coffin.

Herman and Fuente aren't even going to be on their radar when they should be top priorities. Butch is going to be the only "Miami man" they won't interview, even though he's the only "Miami man" who deserves a place at the table.

Chud, Cristobal, Schiano and others whose names won't be mentioned for any other vacancy will be the ones this administration covets. Then we'll repeat this cycle in 4-5 years. What a disgrace.

Might as well just bury this program right now.

Feldman: Mario Cristobal is ‘Most Viable Option’ to Replace Al Golden
Brian FlanaganOctober 23, 2015
It’s me, Mario!

Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman speculated on who the next Miami Hurricanes head coach could be if the program parts ways with Al Golden in the coming months.

The Miami grad’s most viable option? Mario Cristobal, a current assistant coach under Nick Saban at Alabama.

“In light of Al Golden — who I don’t think is a bad coach, I just think he’s a bad fit at Miami — I think it’s imperative Miami hire somebody with deep connections to South Florida,” Feldman said on his Fox Sports podcast, “and a real grasp of what Miami is and what Miami has been about and that’s why I would say to me Mario Cristobal was my most viable option there. He’s a guy who was a starting offensive lineman and won national titles at Miami. He was an assistant at Miami. He also has head coaching experience because he turned around what was the worst FBS program at FIU, got them to a bowl game. They won a bowl game. Then they had all kinds of issues with the administration. He is a great recruiter on Nick Saban’s staff and he’s more plugged into South Florida than any coach in college football. I would say he’s on top of my list and he would also not cost a fortune.

“I don’t know if Rob Chudzinski, who was a former Miami player and has been in the NFL a lot. He’s very well respected by a lot of the old Miami players. I think he’s somebody they would consider. Greg Schiano coached there. I’m not sure how much support Greg would have but I think he’d be a better fit than Al Golden was.”

Feldman’s dream scenario? “I would want Jimmy Johnson to come back.”

Feldman: Mario Cristobal is 'Most Viable Option' to Replace Al Golden

We would be better if Coley took over and hired his guys to coach the defense. I dont want Mario.

Coley is probably the one guy who could/would be worse than Mario.

These are both shoot-yourself-in-the-face type options.

This coaching search is going to be such a massive letdown. As much as we're going to rejoice when/if Golden is finally tossed headfirst out the door, the names being thrown around represent final nails in this program's coffin.

Herman and Fuente aren't even going to be on their radar when they should be top priorities. Butch is going to be the only "Miami man" they won't interview, even though he's the only "Miami man" who deserves a place at the table.

Chud, Cristobal, Schiano and others whose names won't be mentioned for any other vacancy will be the ones this administration covets. Then we'll repeat this cycle in 4-5 years. What a disgrace.

Don't forget about Trestman.

I have no doubt that if these boneheads somehow do the right thing and fire Golden, they will immediately follow that up by hiring some crap candidate like Mario or Chud.

Advertisement
The problem with Butch is the whole scandal at UNC will follow him anywhere. This school won't hire him because of this issue. The school doesn't want to go through another Shapiro scandal as much as I want Butch as well

What I found most interesting about his take on Cristobal, is that he argued he did a good job with FIU. Then, went on to talk about what a bad hire Lane Kiffin would be for Miami, but would be good for USF or UCF ...

Yeah, the guy who coaches the OL FOR Kiffin should be the Miami coach, but Kiffin is only good enough for USF or UCF ...

No doubt in my mind, his preference for Cristobal is based on a personal relationship, and not on anything objective.

Because Feldman overvalues the nonsense about the next guy having to be plugged into South Florida recruiting. He assumes Luigi would kill here without the Satan/Bama affiliation whereas Kiffin wouldn't. Having to mention both of those names in relation to here is almost so sad that it's comical.

Perhaps Feldman should consider fiction writing instead of sports journalism....

It’s me, Mario!

Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman speculated on who the next Miami Hurricanes head coach could be if the program parts ways with Al Golden in the coming months.

The Miami grad’s most viable option? Mario Cristobal, a current assistant coach under Nick Saban at Alabama.

“In light of Al Golden — who I don’t think is a bad coach, I just think he’s a bad fit at Miami — I think it’s imperative Miami hire somebody with deep connections to South Florida,” Feldman said on his Fox Sports podcast, “and a real grasp of what Miami is and what Miami has been about and that’s why I would say to me Mario Cristobal was my most viable option there. He’s a guy who was a starting offensive lineman and won national titles at Miami. He was an assistant at Miami. He also has head coaching experience because he turned around what was the worst FBS program at FIU, got them to a bowl game. They won a bowl game. Then they had all kinds of issues with the administration. He is a great recruiter on Nick Saban’s staff and he’s more plugged into South Florida than any coach in college football. I would say he’s on top of my list and he would also not cost a fortune.

“I don’t know if Rob Chudzinski, who was a former Miami player and has been in the NFL a lot. He’s very well respected by a lot of the old Miami players. I think he’s somebody they would consider. Greg Schiano coached there. I’m not sure how much support Greg would have but I think he’d be a better fit than Al Golden was.”

I wouldn't mind JJ heading up the next coaching search committee. As for Feldman, I like him and all but he's been on the Cristobal thing for a while now. Not sure what he sees in him but he burnt that bridge when he left here for Bama.

Advertisement
Listened to this yesterday. I used to respect Feldman. That's done.

The dude is saying the most likely outcome given that (1) our AD and Board don't care about the football team and don't want to pay and (2) no major coach really wants this job - as evidenced by the number of people who didn't last time since Al was like our 5th choice. People keep acting like this is a highly sought after position but it isn't.

The problem with Butch is the whole scandal at UNC will follow him anywhere. This school won't hire him because of this issue. The school doesn't want to go through another Shapiro scandal as much as I want Butch as well

Nothing against you but the Admin full of bull *****. They're so worried about another Shapiro scandal but they're the one who let him run rampant on campus and put Shapiro's name on a building.

It’s me, Mario!

The only part of the article I like is how Folden is referred to in the past tense. Worst UM coach ever. Not a good fit...ya think?

Advertisement
Why would Feldman want JJ and not Butch? JJ has been retired for 16 years

Anyway, from what I've been told Cristobal is very hard to work with and doesn't have pull within the admin. Not a lot of people (that make decisions) like him. Chud will probably get interviewed though[/QUOTE

JJ would make huge splash. Unfortunately it would be behind his house in the Keyes as he dove in the water to get away. JJ is having fun in the sun. No way he comes back. Amazed the Butch got no mention. That makes everything the dude said useless. The Butch question must be dealt with before anyone else is considered. He did to much and wants the job too much and will work cheap enough to where he must get first consideration. And you better have a **** of a good reason to not pick him. Mario is not a good enough reason. Maybe Chud is, but Greg is not. Whoever they pick better try to get Butch as DC and recruiter or expect the air force again and sooner.

We've been through this a million times. Feldman has a fascination for Mario and they may even be buds. Feldman is always propping up Mario. Why? I have no clue - it makes no sense. It would be a disaster hire.

Cuban Alf.

Besides, Bruce just named 3 ex canes as potentials - he's throwing **** against a wall to see what sticks.

i told u guys the media was in the tank for cristobal. how can he not mention butch?

Advertisement
If Chud or Cristobal went to ANY other school, there names would NEVER come up.

Exactly! Are these 2 corches on any other team's list of possibilities? Wake up knuckleheads! Nobody else wants them. Ergo, we don't want them.

I know I'll get negged for saying this....but Mario is learning from one of the best coaches in college football history, could be a interesting hire...

It’s me, Mario!

We would be better if Coley took over and hired his guys to coach the defense. I dont want Mario.

don't give our admin any ideas.

We shouldn't be looking at any coach that isn't a candidate for the USC, USCE or Maryland job. I have not seen Chud, Cristobal, or Schianos name mentioned anywhere as frontrunners for these jobs. Why do we always have to trump up jags just because they played or coached here in the past. We have been down that road with Randy and Coker already.

Advertisement
Back