Dewan Huell not playing tonight

Employer v. Employee
I thought you weren't gonna comment to me anymore on this? Just can't resist?

Do you really think coaches of L's stature kowtow and grovel to a no-name Athletic Director in a case like this -- especially if they are convinced they and the player are in the right?? If Hernandez is totally clean, all it would take is one threat of a presser by Coach L to put James on the "hot seat" to explain himself, do the right thing, or be gone.

On the other hand, if Hernandez has problematic issues, then ... talking a whole different ball game.

Advertisement

Do you really think coaches of L's stature kowtow and grovel to a no-name Athletic Director in a case like this -- especially if they are convinced they and the player are in the right?? If Hernandez is totally clean, all it would take is one threat of a presser by Coach L to put James on the "hot seat" to explain himself, do the right thing, or be gone.

On the other hand, if Hernandez has problematic issues, then ... talking a whole different ball game.

I am talking to TCGrad. Can I help you?

You seem very naïve. L is under contract with UM. He is required to follow the protocols of the university. The stature of his boss is irrelevant. If UM told him that his entire team was suspended and he had to play walk-ons for the rest of the season, he could either play walk-ons or quit. If he threatened "a presser" to blast Blake James, he would (and should) be fired for cause i.e. insubordination. That's how the world works.

Advertisement
Coach Jim Larranaga said they expect to get an update on Hernandez’s status “by the end of the business day” Monday. per t the article.

There's no chance that any good news surfaces with regard to UM athletics.

You seem very naïve. L is under contract with UM. He is required to follow the protocols of the university. The stature of his boss is irrelevant. If UM told him that his entire team was suspended and he had to play walk-ons for the rest of the season, he could either play walk-ons or quit. If he threatened "a presser" to blast Blake James, he would (and should) be fired for cause i.e. insubordination. That's how the world works.
I don't think that the world of entertainment, to include sports, whether it be professional or college level, "works" in reality like normal business does.
Some AD's are powerful; others are often literally no more than figureheads. Many, at best, share power with the coaches of the major sports. Greg Byrne is AD at Tuscaloosa. He's Nick Saban's "boss." Right!!

If an injustice to Hernandez is being done, you're saying L just has to take it lying down and say "it's above my pay grade" to have any influence? I sure hope that is not the case.

Anyway, the decision is supposedly imminent.

I don't think that the world of entertainment, to include sports, whether it be professional or college level, "works" in reality like normal business does.
Some AD's are powerful; others are often literally no more than figureheads. Many, at best, share power with the coaches of the major sports. Greg Byrne is AD at Tuscaloosa. He's Nick Saban's "boss." Right!!

If an injustice to Hernandez is being done, you're saying L just has to take it lying down and say "it's above my pay grade" to have any influence? I sure hope that is not the case.

Anyway, the decision is supposedly imminent.

I have no doubt that L has discussed the issue with Huellnandez. He may have had it out with Blake James et al behind closed doors as well. But if you are suggesting that L publicly oppose administration, the answer is absolutely not.

Advertisement
Advertisement
With the season being shot, my rooting interest is for Huellnandez to ball out and get paid. He deserves a payday after being hung out to dry by this pathetic administration.
Agree. If Dewan has indeed been "hung out to dry" for no reason, what do you think should/will happen in terms of accountability within house?

Flake will announce what's going on with Dewan right after he has that sit down talk with Mork at the beginning of the dead period, oh wait...

Advertisement
Simple question, young man: What have you been waiting for?
That is a good question. Here's another: Who's paying for the attorney? There's no monetary settlement in this for the case to be taken "on spec" and lawyers don't work cheap. Maybe this is why he didn't hire one earlier?

Aren’t you excited to read the statement from UM?

It will be a copy and paste job of the DQJ "reinstatement."

I continue to believe (based on nothing but my feminine intuition) that if he's not playing by the start of ACC schedule, he'll leave.

Last edited:
One one hand, I wouldn't blame him a bit for leaving. He's shown great patience through all this. On the other hand, leaving sort implies some level of guilt. Plus, does he have anything better to do this coming semester? Wonder what his academic standing in relation to a degree is?

Advertisement
Back