DeVonta Smith

Advertisement
Ahem, he weighed 155 at his pro day. He probably loaded up to get to that weight. Lulz

166 for smith just sent him to the bottom of the first? Last sub-180/170 pound WR taken in the first?
Hollywood Brown two years ago. 166.

DeSean Jackson was 169 coming into the league. Tavon Austin was 174.

I wouldn't worry about the weight. He played light in college, lined up against plenty of future pros, including first round picks, and they couldn't get their hands on him off the line. He's such a good route runner and he can play anywhere. If you look at his 2019+2020 film, Alabama had him do at least a little big of everything. In 2019, he's got a lot of slot snaps where he was mad successful from basically every possible spot a wide receiver could be over the past two seasons.

His route tree from 2020.

To which he literally succeeded everywhere.

79% success rate versus press man coverage, too. Best in the draft class? idk. He didn't do this versus jabronis either. The same guys he'll be lining up against in the pros, he was doing it to in college from everywhere running every route.

Some of the other guys that he has been compared to Marvin Harrison and Isaac Bruce came into the league at 181 and 174 respectively. Again, I wouldn't worry about the weight that much.

Last edited:
What would worry me about his frame are his stick legs. Never seen a player of this caliber have legs that skinny. He is one lower body hit away from not having a career. Then again, he seems to never get touched because of how elusive he is. But not getting hit is a thing of the past once he enters the league.

I wouldn't mind Smith on the Dolphins, but I don't think they draft him. Call me crazy, but I think he's got some Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison in his game. His route running is as precise as any collegiate WR I can ever recall. Dude put up over 200 yards in just one half of the national championship and is not afraid to run over the middle at his size. Plus, I'm sure he can put on some weight and get up to around 180.

Advertisement
I wouldn't mind Smith on the Dolphins, but I don't think they draft him. Call me crazy, but I think he's got some Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison in his game. His route running is as precise as any collegiate WR I can ever recall. Dude put up over 200 yards in just one half of the national championship and is not afraid to run over the middle at his size. Plus, I'm sure he can put on some weight and get up to around 180.
If he aint get up to 180 with Bama's steroid use he aint getting there.

If they dont have him as a move wr...or get creative he will get thrown in to the bleachers like he did in that hs film at camps.

It would be scary what Xavian Howard would do to him in practice. lol

If they dont have him as a move wr...or get creative he will get thrown in to the bleachers like he did in that hs film at camps.

It would be scary what Xavian Howard would do to him in practice. lol
Bama definitely has rampant steroid use, but no way is everyone in on it. Smith never took steroids, he wouldn't look like he does. I think in this day and age with the way the NFL rules are, he'll thrive in the NFL.

Smith's draft odds are dropping like a rock. He's now projected o/u 11.5 with heavy vig on the over. So don't worry about Miami taking him. Until they do.

It would be scary what Xavian Howard would do to him in practice.
LMAO, he destroyed future NFL dbs all year. He will not play NFL Week 1 at 166, he will be closer to 175-180. Plenty of NFL WRs have played at that weight. You act like he played at a Sunbelt school with those takes.

And yes, like the other poster said I see him as a faster Marvin Harrison. I will be shocked if he doesn't have multiple 1000 yard plus NFL seasons.

Bama definitely has rampant steroid use, but no way is everyone in on it. Smith never took steroids, he wouldn't look like he does. I think in this day and age with the way the NFL rules are, he'll thrive in the NFL.

Smith's draft odds are dropping like a rock. He's now projected o/u 11.5 with heavy vig on the over. So don't worry about Miami taking him. Until they do.

Mid-Teens has been a projection for him for a while. It might be safe to say Waddle will go before him.

The best wide receivers in most drafts arent the first few off the board anyway. Dropping and going to a team with a better offense / quarterback is better for his career anyway.

Advertisement
LMAO, he destroyed future NFL dbs all year. He will not play NFL Week 1 at 166, he will be closer to 175-180. Plenty of NFL WRs have played at that weight. You act like he played at a Sunbelt school with those takes.

And yes, like the other poster said I see him as a faster Marvin Harrison. I will be shocked if he doesn't have multiple 1000 yard plus NFL seasons.

He’s a great player but he didn’t play against NFL caliber DBs all year.

Mid-Teens has been a projection for him for a while. It might be safe to say Waddle will go before him.

The best wide receivers in most drafts arent the first few off the board anyway. Dropping and going to a team with a better offense / quarterback is better for his career anyway.
I've been tracking odds from Bookmaker. They opened Over 11.5 +123, Under 11.5 -147 on Smith and now it's Over 11.5 -124, Under 11.5 +105. That's about a 50 cent move in vig.

I think Waddle was Under 11.5 -145 when I checked earlier today. Waddle's odds are trending that he's picked earlier.

Dolphins fans need to hope Atlanta goes QB 4th because I'm pretty sure Cincy is taking Chase. And if Atlanta goes Pitts then Miami will have paid Philly a first round pick next year to take Waddle or Smith instead of....the one who they don't take that falls to Philly 12th? That'd be a disastrous trade up from 12 to pay that price.

Advertisement
I've been tracking odds from Bookmaker. They opened Over 11.5 +123, Under 11.5 -147 on Smith and now it's Over 11.5 -124, Under 11.5 +105. That's about a 50 cent move in vig.

I think Waddle was Under 11.5 -145 when I checked earlier today. Waddle's odds are trending that he's picked earlier.

Dolphins fans need to hope Atlanta goes QB 4th because I'm pretty sure Cincy is taking Chase. And if Atlanta goes Pitts then Miami will have paid Philly a first round pick next year to take Waddle or Smith instead of....the one who they don't take that falls to Philly 12th? That'd be a disastrous trade up from 12 to pay that price.

I think the Dolphins like Waddle.

Cardinals are also rumored to be thirsting to trade up for Waddle.

We'll see. Might be the typical pre-draft smoke, maybe not.

I think the Dolphins like Waddle.

Cardinals are also rumored to be thirsting to trade up for Waddle.

We'll see. Might be the typical pre-draft smoke, maybe not.
Oh I am sure Miami does like both Waddle and Smith. But how could you justify giving up a first round pick to go from 12 to 6 and take Waddle and then watch Smith go 12th to Philly? No way in **** someone should value Waddle the same as Smith AND a first round pick next year. And yet that could conceivably happen.

Bama definitely has rampant steroid use, but no way is everyone in on it. Smith never took steroids, he wouldn't look like he does. I think in this day and age with the

way the NFL rules are, he'll thrive in the NFL.

Alot of schemed open stuff....and which nfl dbs he destroyed?. I know he went over the top on Stingley from LSU....but go check his highlights from last szn..and come back and tell me.

You have to be creative with him...i personally dont think he is #1 wr in the league...If my Dolphins drafted him i wouldnt actually be MAD..but i like Chase more...and i believe the last 2 sfla bama wr drafted are more talented than him. It would actually do well if his stock dropped and he ended up on a team with a good qb and offensive system

Advertisement
Oh I am sure Miami does like both Waddle and Smith. But how could you justify giving up a first round pick to go from 12 to 6 and take Waddle and then watch Smith go 12th to Philly? No way in **** someone should value Waddle the same as Smith AND a first round pick next year. And yet that could conceivably happen.
The dolphins are throwing all type of smoke screens.....i dont think they are looking for Waddle. If so they can just rock with Albert Wilson or the other 100 small slots we got.

Alot of schemed open stuff....and which nfl dbs he destroyed?. I know he went over the top on Stingley from LSU....but go check his highlights from last szn..and come back and tell me.

You have to be creative with him...i personally dont think he is #1 wr in the league...If my Dolphins drafted him i wouldnt actually be MAD..but i like Chase more...and i believe the last 2 sfla bama wr drafted are more talented than him. It would actually do well if his stock dropped and he ended up on a team with a good qb and offensive system
He will be better than anyone but Chase IMO. He has plus hands, plus speed and is a superb route runner. He is an NFL teams dream and will ball out IMO. As a WR he is light years ahead of Waddle
His 2019 stats of 1250 yards and 14 TDs on a team with Judy, Riggs and Waddle?? Thats a real knock on him, lol

The dolphins are throwing all type of smoke screens.....i dont think they are looking for Waddle. If so they can just rock with Albert Wilson or the other 100 small slots we got.
I won’t be upset with Waddle 6th, but then he better be the next Tyreek Hill. I’d prefer Pitts then Chase then Smith and last Waddle for pass catchers. And I’d be OK with Sewell, too.

I trust Grier. If he wants Smith or Waddle then that SHOULD mean Pitts and Chase are off the board, which means we should be able to do a small trade down with, say, Denver and still land either guy 9th and pick up more picks. I don’t want Miami reaching on a guy for a position of need.

Off the top of my head

Our very own Tyrique Stevenson, Eric Stokes, Derek Stingley, Marco Wilson, 5-star Jaylon Jones...in 2019 Jaycee Horn. He ate Tyson Campbell up all game in the Georgia game when Campbell was covering him. Shaun Wade, obv. (he'll be drafted and make a team). Noah Igbinoghene (who Smith also says was the best corner he's ever played against FWIW - but had 9 catches for 150 yards and a TD against him). Might be more, but a few first rounders, some five stars, future NFL players in there.

Not quite AJ Terrell, Pat Surtain, Trevon Diggs, CJ Henderson among others like Ja'Marr Chase, but its very good.

Advertisement
Back