DeVonta Smith

Advertisement
He’s going to play at or around his current weight. This isn’t a 17 year old high school kid who’s never had good nutrition or a proper weight training program. This dude was at Alabama were they sprinkle roids on their Wheaties. No way he puts on 15-20 pounds now. Unless he gets fat. That doesn’t mean he can’t have a ton of success, I just don’t see him physically getting into that 180 pound range at this stage of his career. If he could have, he already would have.

He’s going to play at or around his current weight. This isn’t a 17 year old high school kid who’s never had good nutrition or a proper weight training program. This dude was at Alabama were they sprinkle roids on their Wheaties. No way he puts on 15-20 pounds now. Unless he gets fat. That doesn’t mean he can’t have a ton of success, I just don’t see him physically getting into that 180 pound range at this stage of his career. If he could have, he already would have.
Did I read he might have weighed in the 160 range recently? Going to be tough to have a long career and hold up. I can't think of a WR1 or WR2 who has been that light.

Good luck to him though. 😬

LMAO, he destroyed future NFL dbs all year. He will not play NFL Week 1 at 166, he will be closer to 175-180. Plenty of NFL WRs have played at that weight. You act like he played at a Sunbelt school with those takes.

And yes, like the other poster said I see him as a faster Marvin Harrison. I will be shocked if he doesn't have multiple 1000 yard plus NFL seasons.
By going up to 175-180, is he going to maintain all the other physical performance metrics?

His performance in college is undisputed--great achievement. I just don't know he is a must take Rd I pick for all 32 GMs. Of course he is going in Rd I (or matches Rodgers slide in surprise), but perhaps not every team shares the enthusiasm.

Advertisement
If he’s a legit 166 he might be able to gain 5-7 lbs at the most. Y’all dreaming thinking he gets to 180.

Smith is a **** of a player but Sark is one of the best OC‘s in football and would try to score every play. Gotta take that production with a grain of salt, especially when he has 3-5 seconds to get open. I think he’ll be a productive pro player, but I don’t think you can take him at 6. Trade down with Denver (Grier has already talked with them) to 9 and take Smith or Waddle.

I also can’t fathom Cincy passing on Sewell for Chase, the heart says Chase but the mind and common sense says Sewell. You gotta protect Burrow otherwise it’ll just be another Andrew Luck situation.

If he’s a legit 166 he might be able to gain 5-7 lbs at the most. Y’all dreaming thinking he gets to 180.

Smith is a **** of a player but Sark is one of the best OC‘s in football and would try to score every play. Gotta take that production with a grain of salt, especially when he has 3-5 seconds to get open. I think he’ll be a productive pro player, but I don’t think you can take him at 6. Trade down with Denver (Grier has already talked with them) to 9 and take Smith or Waddle.

I also can’t fathom Cincy passing on Sewell for Chase, the heart says Chase but the mind and common sense says Sewell. You gotta protect Burrow otherwise it’ll just be another Andrew Luck situation.

Agree. 166 means he put on as much weight as he could for the past 4 months. Realistically, he may get to 170 by camp by his playing weight will be most likely in the 160s. That is small.

He has always been small. He is electric, and so natural. He literally does everything well. His only knock is he is skinny. With the rules now to protect the WR's from HUGE hits, he will be fine, in fact he will thrive. Don't pass on him.

If Chase is gone at 6, would love to see the Phins roll the dice and see if they can get Smith with the second 1st round pick.

Advertisement
He has always been small. He is electric, and so natural. He literally does everything well. His only knock is he is skinny. With the rules now to protect the WR's from HUGE hits, he will be fine, in fact he will thrive. Don't pass on him.
This, these fools talking about too small are cracking me up. He destroyed teams with NFL dbs all season and the season before.

Right now the only thing keeping him from being the first WR off the board and likely top 5 pick is his frame. Does anyone believe that he would purposely hamper his draft stock by staying at 165 if he actually could get up to 180? If he could put on that extra mass and play, he would have done that already.

This, these fools talking about too small are cracking me up. He destroyed teams with NFL dbs all season and the season before.
People and scouts alike try to overthink.
Ohio state spent 8 days game planning for lil bitty Smith they couldn’t do anything as he had like 250 yards by halftime.

Advertisement
This kid is special and you'd be stupid to pass him up in the draft. He is one of those kids who is just better than everyone else on the field.
yeah even if you not a big fan of him...go back and watch the 1st half of the National championship game. dude has won 2 nattys and put the team on his back both times he's just a gamer. League will get this wrong and he'll be the 3-4 wr taken which will be a mistake.

Advertisement
Alot of schemed open stuff....and which nfl dbs he destroyed?. I know he went over the top on Stingley from LSU....but go check his highlights from last szn..and come back and tell me.

You have to be creative with him...i personally dont think he is #1 wr in the league...If my Dolphins drafted him i wouldnt actually be MAD..but i like Chase more...and i believe the last 2 sfla bama wr drafted are more talented than him. It would actually do well if his stock dropped and he ended up on a team with a good qb and offensive system
I agree. That should ding his value a bit but not outside of the 10-15 range. As you long as you have him in the slot or motioned into stacks and bunches he's a major weapon. His size only hurts him in the red zone if you're not using him with jet motion, orbit motion and reverse motion like Sark routinely did.

A team like the Lions that has Tyrell Williams as their #2 and Quintez Cephus as their #3...with a coaching staff that believes in varying formations and personnel putting players in best positions to succeed (Saints/Sean Payton model)...yeah they should be trading back and taking Smith, probably at pick 13 with the Chargers moving up for a Tackle.

As for size I think he'll bulk up to 175-180 before the season but play in the 170-175 range.

All this talk of him being 166 pounds is crazy. I watched this dude torch everybody and go for something stupid in the national, in the first half alone. He’s gonna be better in the league than all these guys that weigh more than him. He was the only player I watched last year that I expected to score every time he touched the ball. In a year where the best qb prospect since supposedly Elway played there wasn’t even a doubt on who the best player in the country was. And the Heisman has always been slanted towards qbs....stop worrying about his weight and use your eyes people. Dudes gonna be a 10 year stud.

Oh I am sure Miami does like both Waddle and Smith. But how could you justify giving up a first round pick to go from 12 to 6 and take Waddle and then watch Smith go 12th to Philly? No way in **** someone should value Waddle the same as Smith AND a first round pick next year. And yet that could conceivably happen.
Waddle and Smith are generally rated as top 5 or 6 prospects in this draft. Of course they're going to be pushed down because of the Qb's and oline. Hopefully, Miami can trade back to 9, get a second, and get one of those Bama receivers.

Advertisement
Back