Derek Wingo Finally Gets Miami Offer

Am I the only one who could care less if we land this kid?

Much better true LBs in this class than Wingo.

Not to mention he seems to have very little interest in us and is looking to head out of state.

I personally hate taking guys who have never played a true LB position in HS to play LB at Miami.

It has never worked out for us and we always try it.

Hopefully Joyner and Brooks can change that.
Striker position would say otherwise.

Advertisement
He was a lock like Irvin and he decommitted after the abortion with Clemson (can’t blame him) but we keep referring to this pipeline but can’t land any of their top kids.
Yes we haven’t landed many of the talent down here because of where we’ve been as a program.
But any kid from that school that’s a blue chipper is no different than any other kid from down here.

I don't believe in layups or locks in recruiting.
MAR bounced. Tyson Campbell took the bag. And a young man that is Jimmie Jones' nephew and Cleveland Gary's little cousin did not stick. These kids all have their own minds and still need to be recruited hard, regardless of the bloodlines and family ties.

Also, and I know he was a transfer from McArthur, but Avery Huff is a blue chip stud from STA that signed in the 2019 class. However, I agree with your greater point: a blue chip recruit from STA acts like most other SFLA blue chip recruits (except for maybe MNW, BTW, CC, Central).

Every where

I know of the Bosas even tho I think the younger Bosa is vastly overrated. But I cant really put my finger on anyone else from STA that has truly either made an impact or even played up to their rankings.

I partially agree. I think STA players get a ranking bump purely bc of where they play. But in the Smith/Casullo days they churned out more consistent talent IMO (less HS superstars). Class of '10 and '11 were solid and i think better than their ranking. I dont think there are any all world players, but a good amount that are or have been solid pros.

2010: Joyner, Linder, Bernard, White, Riggs. (you also have Jermaine Burton who flopped)
2011: Hart, Marcus Roberson, Dorsett, Greene

I know that they used to develop talent and rarely had the best talent in the state. Out of the top '10 and '11 guys, all, expect Joyner, started as freshmen in the JV team and made the move to varsity once the JV season ended. Not sure if that still happens, looking at last year's recruiting class I think most of the guys did not attend STA from the start of their HS careers.

I partially agree. I think STA players get a ranking bump purely bc of where they play. But in the Smith/Casullo days they churned out more consistent talent IMO (less HS superstars). Class of '10 and '11 were solid and i think better than their ranking. I dont think there are any all world players, but a good amount that are or have been solid pros.

2010: Joyner, Linder, Bernard, White, Riggs. (you also have Jermaine Burton who flopped)
2011: Hart, Marcus Roberson, Dorsett, Greene

I know that they used to develop talent and rarely had the best talent in the state. Out of the top '10 and '11 guys, all, expect Joyner, started as freshmen in the JV team and made the move to varsity once the JV season ended. Not sure if that still happens, looking at last year's recruiting class I think most of the guys did not attend STA from the start of their HS careers.

Those are fighting words on this site.

Those are fighting words on this site.

Man, I went to that school. So many new faces once the season ended/spring started. The majority of the team is made up of kids that attend STA from day 1, but it definitely seems like the top talent transfers in; specially seems to be the case recently (but thats every HS team in SFla)

Advertisement
That's because he's not actually from Broward, he's originally from Naples then moved to Ft. Lauderdale.

I've explained this on the board a bunch of times too lol he was never high on Miami & we never had a shot with him, he was always going to either PSU, UF or another school elsewhere.
He called them the home team for STA because of Trevon Grimes. I was thoroughly confused.

Striker position would say otherwise.
Mainly talking about taking Rush Ends who don’t have to do anything but beat the guy in front of him on the way to the backfield.

I have never been against turning big Safeties into LBs (the old Miami way of utilizing speed over size), and that is what the Striker position is.

Safeties have to make pre snap reads, be good in coverage and against the run and have good instincts much like a LB, they are just further away from the line and rarely have to deal with OL.

Most DEs don’t have those instincts and they have to be developed.

IMO LB is way more about great instincts than size and athleticism.

I am interested to see how Sam Brooks develops at the LB position and think he has the best shot of any we have had since MRob (who couldn’t).

I am not expecting it this year, as the transition to LB will take time, but think he will end up being a monster.

IMO this is a perfect situation for him to learn behind Pink for a year (he should redshirt and play in his 4 games).

Hopefully Joyner takes that next step this year to start turning it around for the DE to LB experiment we have been trying for the last decade.

Mike Smith finally developed his LB instincts as a SR and would have seen a lot more playing time if we didn’t have better LBs, but was never a monster.

I do think Brooks can be that monster and definitely before his Sr year, just not this year (would love to be pleasantly surprised) and that is OK.

Mainly talking about taking Rush Ends who don’t have to do anything but beat the guy in front of him on the way to the backfield.

I have never been against turning big Safeties into LBs (the old Miami way of utilizing speed over size), and that is what the Striker position is.

Safeties have to make pre snap reads, be good in coverage and against the run and have good instincts much like a LB, they are just further away from the line and rarely have to deal with OL.

Most DEs don’t have those instincts and they have to be developed.

IMO LB is way more about great instincts than size and athleticism.

I am interested to see how Sam Brooks develops at the LB position and think he has the best shot of any we have had since MRob (who couldn’t).

I am not expecting it this year, as the transition to LB will take time, but think he will end up being a monster.

IMO this is a perfect situation for him to learn behind Pink for a year (he should redshirt and play in his 4 games).

Hopefully Joyner takes that next step this year to start turning it around for the DE to LB experiment we have been trying for the last decade.

Mike Smith finally developed his LB instincts as a SR and would have seen a lot more playing time if we didn’t have better LBs, but was never a monster.

I do think Brooks can be that monster and definitely before his Sr year, just not this year (would love to be pleasantly surprised) and that is OK.
That makes way more sense than previously. I think an athlete like Sam is what you want when standing up an end. All the athletic and physical traits to be an LB. basically was an LB in college with his hand in the ground.

Advertisement
More Broward County front-running groupie facquitry. Think about how most of the kids who wind up at STA get there. They want to be associated with a winning program and the hype that surrounds the STA name. That’s the definition of front-running.

Most of them are of the “I want to thank Coach Macheau at Western for making me the player I am, but I’ve decided to leave him right when he can finally reap some of the rewards of his efforts in developing me. God bless the world” Twitter transfer announcement crew.

So it’s not surprising that the vast majority of them are front-running groupies. That’s all they know.

More Broward County front-running groupie facquitry. Think about how most of the kids who wind up at STA get there. They want to be associated with a winning program and the hype that surrounds the STA name. That’s the definition of front-running.

Most of them are of the “I want to thank Coach Macheau at Western for making me the player I am, but I’ve decided to leave him right when he can finally reap some of the rewards of his efforts in developing me. God bless the world” Twitter transfer announcement crew.

So it’s not surprising that the vast majority of them are front-running groupies. That’s all they know.

Double edged sword with those kids.

Very talented. Usually well coached but the mental weakness and bull**** level is getting higher and higher.

We won't get "those types" until we win which is obvious.

I agree. No doubt whats happening here. Same happens in Tampa. Coach X develops a kid, then kid transfers to Armwood or Plant. Dem ho's ain't loyal and as soon as a more popular dude with a bigger house and better car comes along, she gone!

Advertisement
He was a top 100 player in the Composite. If you don't believe he's elite I'm not going to argue with your opinion but being a top 100 player says otherwise coming out of high school.
But didn’t even start and the player that was starting in front of him was ranked lower. I’m not trying to be a blind homer but if his last name was Jones or Smith, you would feel different. Asante Jr was the guy we MISSED from over there.

Advertisement
Double edged sword with those kids.

Very talented. Usually well coached but the mental weakness and bull**** level is getting higher and higher.

We won't get "those types" until we win which is obvious.
Not so sure how great the coaching is. The front-running groupie mentality runs as deep as magma though.

But didn’t even start and the player that was starting in front of him was ranked lower. I’m not trying to be a blind homer but if his last name was Jones or Smith, you would feel different. Asante Jr was the guy we MISSED from over there.

Asante Jr is like 5’6 140 pounds, we didn’t miss on anything there

I'm just telling you how he was ranked. He was ranked 97 in the Composite and 59 on rivals. Based on him coming in last summer and passing Gil and DJ right away that's blue chip quality. As far as him not starting in HS I believe someone on this board or another board said that politics were in play when it came to that. Was that the truth or a homer spinning things I have no clue.

I'd take Blades over Asante everyday of the week. Blades is versatile and just plain bigger but I do like Asante Jr. I wouldn't have minded if we landed him as well.

Advertisement
Back