Deon Bush overhyped?

Advertisement
From his highlight film, he looks like a great athlete who likes to be physical, but not a natural S. What I mean this this is, you dont see him read a play, or jump a route. The anticipation isn't there (or atleast of his tape). BUT, you do see a kid with the athletic ability to make up for that at the high school level.

IMO, Bush still needs to develop as a football player. Usually when you label with that tag, they aren't physical enough. This is not the case. From what I've seen he just needs to stop relying on athletic ability and start gaining football knowledge.

Now, mind you, this is what I've picked up from his highlight film and 7 on 7 videos on youtube. I havent had the pleasure of watching him live.

He's a ++ athlete. If you can get him to sign on the dotted line and enroll here, you take him and worry about random flaws later on. The nature of South Florida football players is that some of them are just athletes, high end ones at that...you need to mold them into football players when you get them on campus.

good to hear about the athleticism part. 'You can't teach speed' sounds like it may apply here...better to mold and teach an athlete than some slow chump kid. Thanks for the info fellas.

Advertisement
He's a ++ athlete. If you can get him to sign on the dotted line and enroll here, you take him and worry about random flaws later on. The nature of South Florida football players is that some of them are just athletes, high end ones at that...you need to mold them into football players when you get them on campus.

This, get him here and then turn him into a football player.

seen the kid play numerous times, he just doesnt really jump out at you at safety. Plays that a natural safety would make he just doesnt. The games I have been to he rarely played corner so it would be hard to make a comment on that but if I were a coach I would know not to even waste time at safety because he just isnt one.

Now my thinking is in line with others, he is a big time "athlete" in your backyard, we have lost wayyy too many of those recently and you HAVE to take him. Just HAVE to especially at a position of need, stick him at corner and see if he can develop there. He has size and speed so you hope he has the mental makeup and hips to atleast mirror kids and not play 13 yards off, ugh

PS: Another thing when you take a "athlete" type who is high risk high reward, as a coach you should hedge your bets with other players you feel fit your scheme better but might not be as high a ceiling (something it seem golden has done). This is something previous staffs in coral gables seemed to be oblivious to in the past

Last edited:
seen the kid play numerous times, he just doesnt really jump out at you at safety. Plays that a natural safety would make he just doesnt. The games I have been to he rarely played corner so it would be hard to make a comment on that but if I were a coach I would know not to even waste time at safety because he just isnt one.

Now my thinking is in line with others, he is a big time "athlete" in your backyard, we have lost wayyy too many of those recently and you HAVE to take him. Just HAVE to especially at a position of need, stick him at corner and see if he can develop there. He has size and speed so you hope he has the mental makeup and hips to atleast mirror kids and not play 13 yards off, ugh

PS: Another thing when you take a "athlete" type who is high risk high reward, as a coach you should hedge your bets with other players you feel fit your scheme better but might not be as high a ceiling (something it seem golden has done). This is something previous staffs in coral gables seemed to be oblivious to in the past

Totally agree, he's in our backyard, make him a Cane.

Someone said the kid has a vision problem. That can easily be the reason he doesnt break on the ball as fast.

Advertisement

You know I usually don't think our opinions are that off, but I would disagree with that last part. If this kid doesn't have good ball skills now, then I doubt he picks them up later. It's one thing to say that you're going to bring a + athlete like Holifield into the mix and turn him into a good TE or DE or something of that nature, but it's much harder to teach instincts at an instinct position. I think you can make a solid starter, a guy who will take to coaching, play fundamentally sound football, and can start, but I don't believe that this kid will ever be what some people expect him to be, i.e. a star player who will be as good a football player as his measurables suggest he should be. I'm not buying that at all. In that sense, he's more Taylor Mays-ish than he is Sean Taylor-ish from an analogy standpoint (as I do know he plays a different position). As far as the CFB game goes though, that's not so bad. Factor in that he should be a solid ST's player, then I like the pickup but would sell on him being an all-star.

Look at the schools after him. At worst he is the 2nd best athlete in our secondary. Plus, UM supposedly loves him at corner.

I'd take him in a heartbeat

Advertisement
Do we really have a chance with him? Whats the latest?

Definitely have a chance, many think he will be a Cane when all is said and done.

I agree with the general feel here. He might not be the shutdown corner you look for but he is such a special athlete, you dont hesitate to bring him in and find a spot for him.

Definitely have a chance, many think he will be a Cane when all is said and done.

I agree with the general feel here. He might not be the shutdown corner you look for but he is such a special athlete, you dont hesitate to bring him in and find a spot for him.

And we definitely need more athletes at CB, we were quite horrid last season.

Advertisement

And we definitely need more athletes at CB, we were quite horrid last season.

For sure. We may have even overachieved too, considering our best corners were a Wake transfer and a running back.

I also have seen him live multiple times and totally agree with this. He just doesn't make as many plays as you think he would given his talent. He's just not very rangy as a safety which tells me he lacks natural instincts to play the position. I will give it to him that he isn't afraid to come up and tackle. Maybe he will be a much better corner? That said I'll take him just because he has the skill set to potentially be coached into an all conference type player. Oh ya and I also like the 4 stars next to his name lol

Advertisement
Back