Deon Bush overhyped?

Advertisement
So people didn't like Deon Bush? What the ....... I am fairly new to this stuff, but this teaches me to pay less attention to most opinions about the hs recruits. I think I will hang with this coaching staff from now on. They might not get everyone they want, but if they want a kid I'm for it. The thing I like the most about Al is he will cut the cord fast, even on his own picks if they don't measure up. No prideful stubbornness evident. Ok, I will admit I am worried about the DC thing, but I think Al has earned enough cred to buy more time there.

Its really interesting to look back at threads like this.. @ Columbus DB didn't look like anything other than a great athlete. After a freshman season, he looks like a future first round pick! Would anyone disagree that his freshman highlight tape looks soo much better than his senior high school tape? That's crazy when you this about it... He really developed into a football player pretty **** fast.

Threads like this really make you realize that recruiting really is a crapshoot at times. There are so many factors that determine whether a player will be successful or not. If you told me DB would be our best safety in 2012 when he committed, I would of threw up!

Advertisement
I saw Deon play all 4 years I was at Columbus and he always looked like he was just going through the motions out there. He looked lazy on the field and senior year it looked like he didn't want to get hurt or anything. I had no doubt he could play but he never went 100% at Columbus IMO

Football-wise, I'd say overhyped as a safety but correctly rated as a corner.

Nailed it. :ohlord:

I thought he was a corner all the way. He made more plays as a freshman safety at Miami than he did as a senior safety at Columbus. What surprised/impressed me most was the effort he played with. He went harder than pretty much anybody.

I thought he was a corner all the way. He made more plays as a freshman safety at Miami than he did as a senior safety at Columbus. What surprised/impressed me most was the effort he played with. He went harder than pretty much anybody.

I think if this thread shows us anything is that 99% of us don't know what the **** we are talking about. Having said that, looking at his HS senior tape it is evident he was playing down to his talent. I mentioned that in another Deon thread either on this site or canessport.

He clearly is a superior athlete who needed to having guys as good or better around him to light a fire under his ***. It's not that hard to shine against hispanic catholic school boys (I'm a CCHS alum btw). He would have showed out a little more had he been playing at Miramar, MNW, Booker T ect.

He showed out in the 7-on-7's because he was surrounded with equal skilled players. On a Columbus squad, not so much.

Actually pretty awesome and relevant for those of us who jumped on this board later (last summer for me) to see some of the history. Lot of the same debates we have on current recruits with the benefit of hindsight on our most productive freshman last year.

I hope you meant on D, because if not Duke says hello.

Advertisement
Yes, brittlecane is right. What is the point of this thread? Bush IS a high risk high reward kind of kid, not close to the HS production of a kid like Tracy Howard. Bush's athleticism is off the charts but there has been plenty of chatter involving concerns about his ability to convert that athleticism into college football production. Concerns about him being a camp warrior instead of a gametime playmaker.

sorry but this is retarded. where is the high risk? risk is not any higher than anyone else with a scholly. in fact the risk is prob lower, since the dude is an elite athlete with 1st round potential (based on measurables)

Yup, and if we're going to drill him for everything including Zimmerman's acquittal, we should give Coach D credit when it's due: Deon has been developed exceedingly well by our defensive staff.

I think if this thread shows us anything is that 99% of us don't know what the **** we are talking about.

Disagree. What this thread shows us is that you never know how a kid is going to react when he gets to college.

When Perryman was coming out, there were coaches on our staff who questioned the take. They pointed to his poor effort as a senior at Coral Gables. Once Perryman got around better talent, his true colors showed. Does that mean those coaches are clueless? Of course not. They were going off what they saw.

The flip side is Jacoby Briscoe. The coaches hoped they were going to get the effort they saw from Briscoe in the state championship. Instead they got an apathetic player who went bust.

Lucky for us, Bush was more like Perryman.

seriously, what are ur thoughts on this cat, LU?

I've long said he's one of my favorite athletes. I keep hearing complaints and concerns about his attitude and mentality. I really don't know him personally or know anyone who does, so I can't say anything about it. All I can say is he is in the top 5 of the best feet to size ratio for DBs I've seen in a few years. He has great balance, a good frame, good speed and just excellent feet. If he's a headcase or a lazy kid, obviously that's another thing altogether. But, physically, I'm a huge fan. I think he's got star potential at Corner or FS (which is the place I'd like him best if he has any football instincts, brain and a leader's mentality).

Dr. Lu just gets it.

Advertisement

I think if this thread shows us anything is that 99% of us don't know what the **** we are talking about. Having said that, looking at his HS senior tape it is evident he was playing down to his talent. I mentioned that in another Deon thread either on this site or canessport.

He clearly is a superior athlete who needed to having guys as good or better around him to light a fire under his ***. It's not that hard to shine against hispanic catholic school boys (I'm a CCHS alum btw). He would have showed out a little more had he been playing at Miramar, MNW, Booker T ect.

He showed out in the 7-on-7's because he was surrounded with equal skilled players. On a Columbus squad, not so much.

Disagree.

Columbus isn't a team full of scrubs. So there goes the logic that he would've shined more at Miramar or wherever. I was at the Columbus vs. Miramar play-off game and those two teams went toe-to-toe the whole game. Deon Bush was literally a none factor. Not only did he not make a single play, but he actually looked timid out there. The Miramar kids were punking him left and right. And I wasn't the only one who saw this.

What's crazy is the fact the the DB I saw that night is the same DB that was killing people at the University of Miami last season. The DB I saw that night wanted no part of contact.

I would've never guessed in a million years that this kid was gonna be the hitter he is right now. A light turned on in that kid's head.

The only thing I can fathom is that after getting all his scholarship offers, he played timid during his Senior year so he wouldn't get hurt.

Still, that would bother me. It shows a lack of competitiveness. It's the state play-offs and you're not playing your hardest?

Regardless, water under the bridge, the kid is a stud right now. Kudos to the staff on this one.

Disagree.

Columbus isn't a team full of scrubs. So there goes the logic that he would've shined more at Miramar or wherever. I was at the Columbus vs. Miramar play-off game and those two teams went toe-to-toe the whole game. Deon Bush was literally a none factor. Not only did he not make a single play, but he actually looked timid out there. The Miramar kids were punking him left and right. And I wasn't the only one who saw this.

What's crazy is the fact the the DB I saw that night is the same DB that was killing people at the University of Miami last season. The DB I saw that night wanted no part of contact.

I would've never guessed in a million years that this kid was gonna be the hitter he is right now. A light turned on in that kid's head.

The only thing I can fathom is that after getting all his scholarship offers, he played timid during his Senior year so he wouldn't get hurt.

Still, that would bother me. It shows a lack of competitiveness. It's the state play-offs and you're not playing your hardest?

Regardless, water under the bridge, the kid is a stud right now. Kudos to the staff on this one.

whoa whoa whoa hold up.... sometimes it takes time for certain players to realize how physically gifted they are.

For example it took Eric ****erson time for him to realize that he could not only run pass everybody but he actually was strong enough to run over everybody too when he was at SMU. You cant tell how great you are unless you find yourself in the position of having to stand yo ground in any competitive sport.

I can only assume that's what Deon was going through in high school... but lets not act like he was a scrub it was just all mental. He's from S. Florida so hes use to seeing other players just as fast as he is and players that look more physically imposing them him too. I'm sure UMs coaching staff and Swasey played a role in helping him, quickly, understand that he is more then just the everyday S.Florida athlete.... which can only give you the confidence to do what he was able to do as a freshman last year. Also i'm sure the 7 on 7 competitions and other elite football events that he participated in during his senior year helped made him aware of how talented he really is as well.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Also let me add this.... i didnt see an overrated player on his junior highlight tapes when he was a safety. He might not have been a hitter but i did see a ballhawk. His senior season, I thought he played CB most of the time and did a good job as well.... maybe he didnt make as much plays from that position but he still looked like an elite cb.

Disagree.

whoa whoa whoa hold up.... sometimes it takes time for certain players to realize how physically gifted they are.

For example it took Eric ****erson time for him to realize that he could not only run pass everybody but he actually was strong enough to run over everybody too when he was at SMU. You cant tell how great you are unless you find yourself in the position of having to stand yo ground in any competitive sport.

I can only assume that's what Deon was going through in high school... but lets not act like he was a scrub it was just all mental. He's from S. Florida so hes use to seeing other players just as fast as he is and players that look more physically imposing them him too. I'm sure UMs coaching staff and Swasey played a role in helping him, quickly, understand that he is more then just the everyday S.Florida athlete.... which can only give you the confidence to do what he was able to do as a freshman last year. Also i'm sure the 7 on 7 competitions and other elite football events that he participated in during his senior year helped made him aware of how talented he really is as well.

Dude, no. He knew how physically gifted he was when he was dominating at the camps and events during his Junior year. Everybody knew.

I'm pretty sure he had plenty of confidence in himself when he was playing press-man on Stacey Coley during combines. Then he came out his Senior year and tanked. The reason for him shutting it off during his Senior year is a mystery and fortunately is irrelevant now.

Read these post raise a concern with me. If he quit playing his senior year, for what ever reason, he could do it again to us before he leaves for the league. Assuming he makes it.

Advertisement
Back