DeAndre Wilder is smaller than our DB recruits

Wilder's name doesn't belong anywhere near Spence or Grace. Go back and watch their high school film and you will see that their instincts were off the charts regardless of size. Wilder just gets up field and had very little responsibility. If THIS staff wants him who am I to argue, but I'm not a fan.

Advertisement
Wilder's name doesn't belong anywhere near Spence or Grace. Go back and watch their high school film and you will see that their instincts were off the charts regardless of size. Wilder just gets up field and had very little responsibility. If THIS staff wants him who am I to argue, but I'm not a fan.

It's like the old well Berrios is Wes Welker comparison that was popular on this board, just cause they are about the same height that doesn't mean anything. Wilder is a good PROSPECT, a person who is likely to succeed, but he doesn't even play LB and he is way to small for rush DE in college. I'm pulling for the kid and trust Diaz but those guys he is not. I wasn't big on his tape but I do see potential, think he will contribute nicely right away on special teams. Not sure what's up with the Oregon stuff either, considering he was dropped by Auburn and basically said well I guess I can go to Miami, not sure that's the proper way to pay this staff back from keeping you out of Utah.

Don't know if he's visiting anywhere else this weekend but it won't be oregon
From Oregon 247
I've checked in with De'Andre Wilder and LaTavious Brini and both players are now no longer visiting Oregon as scheduled.

Seems like our official visit solidified him

too much focus on his size and not enough on his (lack of) play

WAR TIME!! - Deandre Wilder highlights - Hudl

watch that. then watch any of our linebackers clips from last year or this year and tell me you dont see a stark difference.

I do see a stark difference...

In where they're lined up.

clearly. but im talking about much more than that. watch how they tackle. watch their instincts. watch their aggression.

there are plenty of kids that can both run and play the position much better.

now, if you want to take the route you chose, we can play that, too. name for me the last player we had excel here at linebacker that lined up at rush end like wilder does in high school. i see guys comparing him to spence, grace, perryman etc. those kids played either linebacker or safety in high school. were able to play in space AND they played with aggression.

How can I see what kind of instincts Wilder has when he's lined up on the edge throughout the whole tape? You can't compare the 2 tapes, they're nothing alike.

I can't tell you who we've recruited that played that role in high school. Ohio State signed a guy from South Florida named Ryan Shazier. He played DE in high school and he turned out pretty good.

Wilder's size and speed, as a LB, reminds me of a guy that Richt had early in his UGA tenure. The same discussions were being had then but Thomas Davis turned out alright.

Advertisement
Nobody's comparing Wilder and Spence's ability, you dummies, they're talking about their weight.

Nobody's comparing Wilder and Spence's ability, you dummies, they're talking about their weight.

I could say they are the same size as you, it means absolutely nothing. The tape is what matters, he is a prospect, those guys were not prospects... That is the point. People were saying that he is the same size as them. Well he is the same size as a lot of people, it doesn't matter and that's the point people are trying to make, not that they compared him to Spence/Grace (although I would say by them bringing them up they are indirectly comparing them). There is no need to bring them up because they have no similarities other than their height.

Ah yes, I love the "his frame is maxed out" debate that goes on when talking about a 20 yo. Lol

The kid definitely has room to put on 15-20 pounds in a year or 2. No doubt. That puts him right around 220. Do you know how many successful college LBs are in the 220 range? A lot.

Advertisement

I could say they are the same size as you, it means absolutely nothing. The tape is what matters, he is a prospect, those guys were not prospects... That is the point. People were saying that he is the same size as them. Well he is the same size as a lot of people, it doesn't matter and that's the point people are trying to make, not that they compared him to Spence/Grace (although I would say by them bringing them up they are indirectly comparing them). There is no need to bring them up because they have no similarities other than their height.

Precisely. There are plenty of dudes who are the same size as Grace or Spence who never accomplished anything.

Wilder is a tall very skinny dude who didn't play LB, which makes him as similar to Grace and Spence as a jackalope.

Wilder might turn out to be a good player, but that is a total guess at this point. I can envision him as a guy who will run down on kickoffs if he's a tough guy because he is fast in a straight line. Could be a Carl Walker or Weaver.

I've seen Wilder up close and he looks bigger/lankier than Spence and Grace did.

I think the staff sees a high-motor player who can really run (22.8 200M). At worst, he can be a special teams demon.

I've seen Wilder up close and he looks bigger/lankier than Spence and Grace did.

I think the staff sees a high-motor player who can really run (22.8 200M). At worst, he can be a special teams demon.

Ramon Buchanan?

Advertisement

I'm sure the staff will find his role. Mike Smith played pretty well this year (another guy who played DE and not LB in high school) and like him I'm sure they'll find a spot/role that Wilder will fill. I'll be cheering for the guy to succeed.

Advertisement

do we have any confirmed times for him? 100m or 40 yards? ive seen a lot of people comment that it's his speed that really sets him apart.

Ramon Buchanan?

A 4.4 40 recorded time that never showed on the field lol.

I think COOKIE struggled with the in between the ears part of the game.

do we have any confirmed times for him? 100m or 40 yards? ive seen a lot of people comment that it's his speed that really sets him apart.

I think I saw a 4.8 forty posted at some point.

Advertisement
Back