DeAndre Wilder is smaller than our DB recruits

He is smallish.....and i don't care about height, i mean weight. Normally, not a big deal, as we've seen with other smallish LBs like Grace, Spence, Beason and other when they arrived.

However, Wilder's situation is a bit different, since he's already 2 years older than most of those guys were coming in. You would expect he would be a bit more physically mature, meaning heavier/thicker than a 192-196 LBer. It will be interesting to see how he progresses in a college weight and nutrition program.

U do know humans continue to develop and mature well after 20?? Smh "omg hes already 20" lol

If you can't differentiate between a 18 year old at 190 and a 20 year old at 190, then idk what to tell you. Not to mention that a ton of these players gaining weight is their frame. Wilder is fine as a player, at worst a good ST's player, but he doesn't have the frame where he can put on a lot of weight and still move well. Nothing wrong with saying something like that. You can't take valid criticism and misconstrue it as negativity all the time. Try to reason like an intelligent adult, although the intelligent part may be beyond your reach.

Advertisement
From my meetings with the staff I get the impression they feel that they can pretty much stick any JAG in their LB positions and be successful. How successful remains to be seen since they have been lucky enough to have found 3 freshman studs last cycle. While watching film with the staff I can tell you that the ones who can read and react the quickest will play.

From my meetings with the staff I get the impression they feel that they can pretty much stick any JAG in their LB positions and be successful. How successful remains to be seen since they have been lucky enough to have found 3 freshman studs last cycle. While watching film with the staff I can tell you that the ones who can read and react the quickest will play.

Hey Sir [MENTION=10316]waynejr31[/MENTION], what's the update with your son

He has been enrolled, attending classes and meetings since Wednesday of last week. He had his first workout session today and messaged me to tell me that the workout was "crucial". I am currently trying to find out if Bradley and Burns got accepted or not yet. As many of the guys we can get in early the better!!!

Advertisement

He has been enrolled, attending classes and meetings since Wednesday of last week. He had his first workout session today and messaged me to tell me that the workout was "crucial". I am currently trying to find out if Bradley and Burns got accepted or not yet. As many of the guys we can get in early the better!!!

LOL 247 reported Steed wasn't in yet as of yesterday.

Not comparing their on the field abilities, but Sean Spence was smaller than Wilder is, and Spence was the best LB we had at the time.

I saw that, I'm not sure where they get their information from but I can assure you that he is 100% good to go.

I saw that, I'm not sure where they get their information from but I can assure you that he is 100% good to go.

Yea, I thought it was funny. Obviously I'll take your word for it lol

Advertisement
He is smallish.....and i don't care about height, i mean weight. Normally, not a big deal, as we've seen with other smallish LBs like Grace, Spence, Beason and other when they arrived.

However, Wilder's situation is a bit different, since he's already 2 years older than most of those guys were coming in. You would expect he would be a bit more physically mature, meaning heavier/thicker than a 192-196 LBer. It will be interesting to see how he progresses in a college weight and nutrition program.

U do know humans continue to develop and mature well after 20?? Smh "omg hes already 20" lol

If you can't differentiate between a 18 year old at 190 and a 20 year old at 190, then idk what to tell you. Not to mention that a ton of these players gaining weight is their frame. Wilder is fine as a player, at worst a good ST's player, but he doesn't have the frame where he can put on a lot of weight and still move well. Nothing wrong with saying something like that. You can't take valid criticism and misconstrue it as negativity all the time. Try to reason like an intelligent adult, although the intelligent part may be beyond your reach.

Lol i dont know why you thought that was an intelligent post smh

Wilder is tall than both Beason and Spence. He looks like the type a guy that can go into fall camp his 2nd year at 225 pounds.

Advertisement
Yall MF's sound like Al Golden, over analyzing ****.

This ain't the 1980's where everybody is lining up in the I-formation and running down hill. **** near everybody we play runs the spread offense. LB's like him spend more time OUT of the box playing in space than they do in the box ******** with O-linemen.

This also ain't the NFL. Your LB's don't need to be 235+. Wilder can run! There's no reason why he can't be effective at 220lbs.

WTF is gonna happen if he's a little too light? Is he gonna get ran over by the massive, bruising tailbacks we face every week?
If he gonna get pancaked by those huge O-Linemen that never reach the second level because our D-tackles are penetration monsters?

C'mon man. Yall stressing this BS? Nothing to see here, move along.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not comparing their on the field abilities, but Sean Spence was smaller than Wilder is, and Spence was the best LB we had at the time.

Spence was listed as a 6'0 190 lbs LB recruit coming out of high school. Wilder is going to end up at 225lbs or so by the time he finishes college. At the bare minimum.

too much focus on his size and not enough on his (lack of) play

WAR TIME!! - Deandre Wilder highlights - Hudl

watch that. then watch any of our linebackers clips from last year or this year and tell me you dont see a stark difference.

I do see a stark difference...

In where they're lined up.

clearly. but im talking about much more than that. watch how they tackle. watch their instincts. watch their aggression.

there are plenty of kids that can both run and play the position much better.

now, if you want to take the route you chose, we can play that, too. name for me the last player we had excel here at linebacker that lined up at rush end like wilder does in high school. i see guys comparing him to spence, grace, perryman etc. those kids played either linebacker or safety in high school. were able to play in space AND they played with aggression.

Last edited:
too much focus on his size and not enough on his (lack of) play

WAR TIME!! - Deandre Wilder highlights - Hudl

watch that. then watch any of our linebackers clips from last year or this year and tell me you dont see a stark difference.

I do see a stark difference...

In where they're lined up.

clearly. but im talking about much more than that. watch how they tackle. watch their instincts. watch their aggression.

there are plenty of kids that can both run and play the position much better.

now, if you want to take the route you chose, we can play that, too. name for me the last player we had excel here at linebacker that lined up at rush end like wilder does in high school. i see guys comparing him to spence, grace, perryman etc. those kids played either linebacker or safety in high school. were able to play in space AND they played with aggression.

Mike Smith is doing an incredible job at LB. There's no drop off when he comes in.

Advertisement
Back