DeAndre Wilder is smaller than our DB recruits

Advertisement
Even if he turns into a nickel LB and special team stud, that's fine with me. It's good to have some guys with a different skillset for sub-packages.

Wilder is 190 maybe 195 his entire family has a wiry skinny frame...Get him in a real weight program he should be about 215 before the season start. He's too old to redshirt but he should get time on special teams and as a backup role he better then Perry, and #23
100% Truth...

People have a made a issue of his weight, but a couple months in the S&C program and he's the same weight as Grace right around 205-210lbs.

Also, he shouldn't redshirt because he can be used right away on ST & because Steed will have to shirt due to his injury he'll get definite playing time vs Bethune, Toledo, Ark St & the easy ACC teams.

Plus, Pinckney will be out the first half vs Bethune, so Diaz will be preparing him all Fall camp to be ready to go day 1.

Last edited:
He is smallish.....and i don't care about height, i mean weight. Normally, not a big deal, as we've seen with other smallish LBs like Grace, Spence, Beason and other when they arrived.

However, Wilder's situation is a bit different, since he's already 2 years older than most of those guys were coming in. You would expect he would be a bit more physically mature, meaning heavier/thicker than a 192-196 LBer. It will be interesting to see how he progresses in a college weight and nutrition program.
His weight is like that because he ran track & he never bulked up completely for football.

Advertisement
Didn't we just spend 5 years complaining about players being too heavy? Now, a dude comes in @200 and he's too thin. Smdh.

Advertisement
its not just about height or weight. spence and perryman were shorter, but had thicker frames to build on. not only that, they were also far, far more talented. kid wont make it past his sophomore year here. which is fine. not every player makes it 4 years. if they did, we'd never be able to sign full classes.

same dudes down voting & calling the OP out will be consistently talking about "cutting the dead weight" and putting wilder in their lists a couple years from now.

that said, im very high on jennings and steed, so im not all that worried about LB. theres a few other prospects from south fl i wouldve rather seen us take, but given our numbers /talent at the position, i can understand why our staff might take a chance on a hybrid athlete like wilder.

The last thing i'm worried about is LB. We've got 3 young stud starters who will be here for minimum 2 more years, several experienced older backups, then Steed and Jennings. I don't care if Wilder stays or goes, but if he does stay, he might end up to be a valuable nickel LB for us.

Advertisement
He is smallish.....and i don't care about height, i mean weight. Normally, not a big deal, as we've seen with other smallish LBs like Grace, Spence, Beason and other when they arrived.

However, Wilder's situation is a bit different, since he's already 2 years older than most of those guys were coming in. You would expect he would be a bit more physically mature, meaning heavier/thicker than a 192-196 LBer. It will be interesting to see how he progresses in a college weight and nutrition program.

U do know humans continue to develop and mature well after 20?? Smh "omg hes already 20" lol

U do know humans continue to develop and mature well after 20?? Smh "omg hes already 20" lol

Yeah, i'm fairly certain i have the knowledge to understand that. But please, could you confirm that for me?

Instead of focusing on my point.....which is he's 2 years AHEAD of the others on the physical maturation process but still smaller than the others, which COULD mean his body just doesn't naturally hold 230 pounds without a ton of work and he may max out as a hybrid/nickel type LB (hence my point about the college weight room and nutrition program), you focus on a ridiculous fact that anyone semi-educated would obviously know. As such, I "smh" at you for wasting time on such a post.

Advertisement
Wilder is 190 maybe 195 his entire family has a wiry skinny frame...Get him in a real weight program he should be about 215 before the season start. He's too old to redshirt but he should get time on special teams and as a backup role he better then Perry, and #23
Real talk Bruh. Bobo(his pops) has the same tall wiry frame. He'll top out at about 225 but his speed will be the equalizer...

Wilder reminds me of the DE/LB/S that used to play for Maryland, Kenny Tate.

Rohan Marley, Sean Spence Denzel Perryman, Ray Lewis, Jermain Grace and all other speedy LBs all say hello

Sam Mills was one of the greatest linebackers in the history of football and shorter than 6', height at that position is not important.

Advertisement
Back