DeAndre Wilder is smaller than our DB recruits

Advertisement
i dont height is the issue. the problem is frame and weight im guesssing with guys.

Also if i hear of Perryman being undersized again....dude was big as **** by freshman year...by junior year ...i heard out of his own mouth and he looked it...he was 255pds that spring.

Advertisement
LOL at dudes bringing up Spence, Grace and Perryman. Wilder is skinny. He's skinny for a Safety let alone a 20 year old LB. Those dudes were short but powerful and were all great LBs. Wilder didn't even play LB.

Wilder is 190 maybe 195 his entire family has a wiry skinny frame...Get him in a real weight program he should be about 215 before the season start. He's too old to redshirt but he should get time on special teams and as a backup role he better then Perry, and #23

IMO he needs to redshirt to learn to play LB instead of rush end.

Wasting a redshirt year to develop would be a huge mistake for him.

Still wish we got Ventrell Miller over Wilder

Wilder is 190 maybe 195 his entire family has a wiry skinny frame...Get him in a real weight program he should be about 215 before the season start. He's too old to redshirt but he should get time on special teams and as a backup role he better then Perry, and #23

He's not going to redshirt. The kid will not stay in college until he's 25 years old. He'll play special teams day 1 and contribute on defense whenever he develops.

Advertisement

He's not going to redshirt. The kid will not stay in college until he's 25 years old. He'll play special teams day 1 and contribute on defense whenever he develops.

AGE REALLY DOESNT MATTER THAT MUCH. **** if you could have 28 or 29 year old beasts out there playing. Might have an advantage. There is a couple of kids on bamas squad that are like 28 years old. that came from juco.

LOL at dudes bringing up Spence, Grace and Perryman. Wilder is skinny. He's skinny for a Safety let alone a 20 year old LB. Those dudes were short but powerful and were all great LBs. Wilder didn't even play LB.
Don't understand why people can't grasp the concept of body frames when discussing these kids. The weight doesn't matter that much, hence why you see kids all the time that are 250 coming out of HS that are labeled DTs, because they have the frames to gain weight. Its painfully obvious that Wilder doesn't have the frame to bulk up to being a full-time traditional backer. Never really cared for the kid that much, he is a tweener, but can see him having some success here on STs. I can see him playing a specialized role in Diaz's defense in certain situations where he plays a rover.

Don't understand why people can't grasp the concept of body frames when discussing these kids. The weight doesn't matter that much, hence why you see kids all the time that are 250 coming out of HS that are labeled DTs, because they have the frames to gain weight. Its painfully obvious that Wilder doesn't have the frame to bulk up to being a full-time traditional backer. Never really cared for the kid that much, he is a tweener, but can see him having some success here on STs. I can see him playing a specialized role in Diaz's defense in certain situations where he plays a rover.

Let the pros do their thing and you stick to the internet opinions game. If the coaches offer the young man a scholly its because they see something they like. People act as if we still got golden girl and dorito chips runnin the circus show.

Let Pastor Richt and El Jefe do their thing.

Don't know why people are getting mad...Wilder IS smaller. I'd bet he's lighter than Edwards and Carpenter as well. Carpenter actually looks like a LB. I see Wilder being a nice contributor on Special Teams, I don't see him being a starting LBer for us ever. Nothing wrong with that though

How can you make a comment like this before the kid even gets to practice and in the training room?

Advertisement

Let the pros do their thing and you stick to the internet opinions game. If the coaches offer the young man a scholly its because they see something they like. People act as if we still got golden girl and dorito chips runnin the circus show.

I'm going to avoid "the coaches are infallible" line of crud and continue discussing recruits on the recruiting board.

Clearly, as you astutely pointed out, we can accept that the coaches like Wilder, or they wouldn't have offered him. But that doesn't mean we're forbidden from sharing our own opinions.

They offered Scott and Dingle too at one point in the process, and lots of us didn't like those offers all that much. Just because they offered Wilder doesn't mean he's not really skinny.

I agree, anyone bringing up Grace or Perryman is crazy. Those guys were 5 stars in "3 star" bodies. Wilder doesn't even play LB and what I saw of his play at DE wasn't that exciting. I'll trust Diaz's evaluation of him but Wilder should have been dominating at his age and I didn't always see that in his highlights.

100% Truth...

People have a made a issue of his weight, but a couple months in the S&C program and he's the same weight as Grace right around 205-210lbs.

Also, he shouldn't redshirt because he can be used right away on ST & because Steed will have to shirt due to his injury he'll get definite playing time vs Bethune, Toledo, Ark St & the easy ACC teams.

Plus, Pinckney will be out the first half vs Bethune, so Diaz will be preparing him all Fall camp to be ready to go day 1.

Yep. We don't have a lot of quality depth and we can instantly use him on ST coverage units. He's exactly the type of kid you want on STs - 200-205 pounds kid who can fly.

Advertisement
Hop he can be like the LBer from FSU who is balling for the Jags. forgot his name. but he was not very big, great college and NFL career and was undersized.

I was under the impression that the Sam spot in Diaz's defense requires more of an athlete that's good in space rather than a traditional linebacker and that Mike and Will would be pretty interchangeable as the more traditional linebackers. Which is why there was so much talk about Grace being a great fit for the spot. He may not have the frame to carry 250, but he can certainly get up to 210/215 and handle that spot if he's a good enough athlete. How much time he ever plays at LB is going to depend on instincts and how well he plays in space, not size. We knew coming out that Grace and Spence knew how to play the position, we'll just have to wait and see on Wilder

Barring injury, no way this kid redshirts. He'll get plenty of work on special teams.

Yeah, seeing that this is a recruiting board I will continue to stick to my internet opinions game that has already been proven right over the staff on a couple of offers. GTFOOH with that limp ****, the coaches are always right BS. Wilder is skinny for an LB, that is a fact. Comparing him to Grace, Spence and especially Perryman is a terrible comparison based on their frames.

Advertisement
Back