• I am from Florida and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 147 32.5%
  • I am from the South (not Florida) and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • I am from somewhere else and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 121 26.8%

• Total voters
Advertisement
7 schools in the BIG are less than an hour drive to International airports, meaning lower fares, more available flights, and less overall travel time.
Vandy is the only school in the SEC.
Uh Austin airport is right by UT. Google maps says NOLA airport is 1 hour and 5 minute drive to LSU. Tuscaloosa is exactly 1 hour from BHM. Ole Miss is an hour 10 from MEM. OU is right by OKC. Some more under 1.5 hours, but I'm seeing 5 schools within an hour of an international airport.

Noted International Airport proximity;

Not sure how I missed that one, but thank you. I was doing the SEC off the top of my head and Nashville (Vandy) was the only city that came to mind. Overall that's about what I expected, and seems to indicate the total travel time and cost for individual attendees may actually be lower on average to B1G schools (assuming air travel from South Florida).

Uh Austin airport is right by UT. Google maps says NOLA airport is 1 hour and 5 minute drive to LSU. Tuscaloosa is exactly 1 hour from BHM. Ole Miss is an hour 10 from MEM. OU is right by OKC. Some more under 1.5 hours, but I'm seeing 5 schools within an hour of an international airport.
Didn't count OU and Texas.
Only schools that are currently in the SEC.
I didn't add potential future schools to the BIG number.

Also said less than 1 hour...that gets us back to 1, no?

If we're taking an hour to an hour and a half, that brings the BIG up to 10 (?)

Last edited:
Didn't count OU and Texas.
Only schools that are currently in the SEC.
Also said less than 1 hour...that gets us back to 1, no?

If we're taking an hour to an hour and a half, that brings the BIG up to 10 (?)

EDIT: Missed Ole **** and MEM
Yea I didn't include hour and a half. But LSU is 1 hour and Bama is also an hour from an international airport. So including Vandy, thats 4 currently in the SEC.

Advertisement
Yea I didn't include hour and a half. But LSU is 1 hour and Bama is also an hour from an international airport. So including Vandy, thats 4 currently in the SEC.
Got it.
I did say less than an hour though.

An hour to 90 minutes would add more schools to the BIG count.

B1G adds Miami, Cal, Kansas, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford, Washington

SEC adds Clemson, Duke, fsu, Georgia Tech, UNC, NC State, UVA, Virginia Tech, West Virginia
You really thing the B1G poaches Mizzou from the SEC ?
I don't see that, although Mizzou did want to join the B!G several years ago.

VideoCapture_20230607-122423.jpg

Advertisement
Honestly I don't see why distance matters. As a fan base we don't travel well. We don't stay home well for that matter except for when a big team comes to town. In the B1G we'd have bigger teams stop by more often and we could generate profits from attendance.

I guess Ole Miss is a hair over an hour. So less than an hour is 3, Bama, Ole Miss, and Vanderbilt.

What are the 7 B1G schools?
Rutgers 40 min
Northwestern 16 miles (35 min?)
Minnesota 14 miles (30 min?)
Maryland 15 min
Indiana 81 min
Michigan 45 min
Ohio State 13 min
MSU 15 min
Iowa 60 min

An average, the SEC schools are closer by 350 air miles+/-. At 560 mph that's about 38 minutes.
The 9 schools listed are about a 35-40 minute drive to the airport.
The 3 shortest drives you listed average 50 minutes (You must drive like me if you can cover 74 and 60 miles, door to door, in an hour- re: Bama/Ole ****).

The point was overall travel time to get to these games.
I'm running out of gas here but you can see where it's going. The average drive time to get to the campus to the BIG schools more than offsets the additional flight time. Worse case, it's really close.

Really no surprise, right?
Urban/Suburban settings vs rural.
Of course you can fly into regional airports but there goes your budget.

That being said...
if you throw USC/UCLA into the mix...

B1G over SEC.

When being disciplined within the conference for violations, we’d get treated like Ole Miss did vs how LSU/Bama/UGA/Tenn (soon to be Texas) would get treated.

At least in the B1G, only two teams in the cool kids club currently, OSU/Mich. More likely to be voted in and accepted as part of the club. Along with Notre Dame. View us as an alliance to take down the stronghold the SEC has on the sport/championship.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Flat out, the Big would relagate us to perrrenial doormat.

Why travel 1100 miles to play games when you can cut that in half and play schools of the same caliber or better in half the distance?

We're talking road trips verse two days in a car or airfare.

Recruiting wise, you just made it simpler for the SEC to take whomever they want. You're trying to do your thing while flying over the SEC wall.

I'm sorry, but if you want the Big, your head is in your ***. The Big isn't anything but the SEC's ***** right now and us g[BGCOLOR=initial]oing there doesn't change that.[/BGCOLOR]
Dude, what SEC school are you driving to from south Florida besides UF? It's an 11 hour car drive from Miami to Athens. 14 hours to Tuscaloosa. I'm taking an airplane to anywhere in the SEC besides Gainesville.

Advertisement
There’s zero southern about Miami. I was born and raised there and lived in the south, mostly Virginia, for many years. No one I’ve known looks at us as part of the south. They laugh when I say we’re in the south though.
This is true but Miami is Miami. It really doesn't fit nicely anywhere in my opinion. They beat to their own drum. once upon a time they were independent and fit nicely as that. Our biggest commonality is FSU. We should be in the same conference as FSU and UF if at all possible. That would be good times.

Rutgers 40 min
Northwestern 16 miles (35 min?)
Minnesota 14 miles (30 min?)
Maryland 15 min
Indiana 81 min
Michigan 45 min
Ohio State 13 min
MSU 15 min
Iowa 60 min

An average, the SEC schools are closer by 350 air miles+/-. At 560 mph that's about 38 minutes.
The 9 schools listed are about a 35-40 minute drive to the airport.
The 3 shortest drives you listed average 50 minutes (You must drive like me if you can cover 74 and 60 miles, door to door, in an hour- re: Bama/Ole ****).

The point was overall travel time to get to these games.
I'm running out of gas here but you can see where it's going. The average drive time to get to the campus to the BIG schools more than offsets the additional flight time. Worse case, it's really close.

Really no surprise, right?
Urban/Suburban settings vs rural.
Of course you can fly into regional airports but there goes your budget.

That being said...
if you throw USC/UCLA into the mix...
Thank you for providing that detail!

Although I said MSY to LSU Tiger Stadium is right at an hour, I would gladly turn it into a 49 hour drive, spending those extra 48 on Bourbon St 🤣

I’ll ask @TheOriginalCane this as I can’t remember - is there anything in contract law where a contract is so onerous on one side that they can’t do business competitively and it could become illusory or some kind of voidable contract???

I’m thinking that the money is so much less in the ACC compared to the BIG and SEC that we can no longer compete with our competition and therefore will be decimated if forced to remain in that onerous contract
Would that only come into play for "for profit" entities? Does the lack of a competitive football team truly affect the university's ability to perform its primary role (supposedly) of providing a college education for its students?

It is a good point and one I see being used down the line by those schools who do not end up in one of the Big 2. The money gap is so great with plenty of public institutions involved, I just don't see where the government or some kind of litigation gets involved once the dust settles.

Would that only come into play for "for profit" entities? Does the lack of a competitive football team truly affect the university's ability to perform its primary role (supposedly) of providing a college education for its students?

It is a good point and one I see being used down the line by those schools who do not end up in one of the Big 2. The money gap is so great with plenty of public institutions involved, I just don't see where the government or some kind of litigation gets involved once the dust settles.
Yeah, I think this is going to be a matter of needing to dissolve the ACC.

Advertisement
Back