Votes: 36 8.0%
  • I am from Florida and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 147 32.5%
  • I am from the South (not Florida) and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • I am from somewhere else and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 121 26.8%

• Total voters
For both you and @JeddTheFisch , I don't think we would win in a pure contract situation (not involving termination of the conference itself) because I do not think that the TV money, non-FMV though it may be, is so low that you could argue an inability to do business (such as, our costs exceed the revenue, no matter what we do).

The problem is that there are two aspects to this. Simply on the issue of what ESPN pays, compared to what we "need" to stay on par with the Big 10 and SEC, the arguments would be that we thought the money was good on Day 1, we have brought nothing "new" to the table in terms of new schools/markets, and that our ratings do not evidence a need to gratuitiously raise the payouts just because someone else is getting paid more.

The second aspect is the Grant of Rights. The GOR is a mechanism that provides stability to not only the conference (it dissuades members from defecting), but also for the TV network (the group of schools/markets that they originally contracted to broadcast remains stable, and you don't "lose" Clemson and then get East Carolina as a "replacement"); it is the GOR which FINALLY induced ESPN to help us launch the ACC Network.

The TV deal, by itself, may not fit the definition of so "onerous" that it allows us to get out early. Unlike the Bally deal, the ESPN checks are coming through on time. The GOR might be able to be attacked based on its length, but what will hurt us here (and in other aspects of the case) are that our GOR isn't even the longest, as the Big 12 has a 99 year deal to stick together. But the notable differences are that that the Big 12 has a "2-year out" from the GOR, where you only forfeit two years worth of revenue, not "twelve more years".

I think the only possible compromise(s) involve killing the ACC, killing the GOR, and figuring out a way to let ESPN get back into the Big 10 broadcasting game. If any of those things don't happen, I can't see a more "polite" approach like attacking the TV contract itself or the GOR itself as having any real chance of succeeding.
Yeah this is the concept I was thinking of but couldn’t recall when a contract becomes so onerous that it’d validity can be attacked 1 like we can no longer compete with our competition but it’s such a reach. We need to hope we can kill the conference.

Advertisement
I agree with this, and I think a lot of this board is underestimating the fact that saying "B1G" carries very little cachet here, whereas the $EC brand carries a lot.

Some will say "we recruit nationally now." That's all fine and good, but look at who we actually sign, and our roster composition.

The bread and butter is Florida, and that's not changing any time soon.

The money is powerful, but don't kid yourself that going to the B1G is ANYTHING but a pure money play.

IMO the most persuasive selling point SEC schools use against UM while poaching South Florida kids is some variation of "SEC football is the highest level of college football and NFL teams know this and draft accordingly." Thinking about only football recruiting, I don't think anyone can honestly argue SEC isn't the winner. I could entertain an argument that "more money" will mean "more money for athletics and more NIL money," which will undoubtedly help close the gap. But while I believe the money will help close the gap, we will still lose blue-chip recruits to SEC schools who are looking at college as a mandatory 3 years before turning pro.

We can agree to disagree. No need to argue friend. Go Canes.

2333gg.jpg

What if it revealed some problematic dealings by Swofford and ESPN of which the presidents were not made aware?

Just throwing **** up against the wall, but that seems like something ESPN maybe wouldn't want out in the open because it could get messy?
Tougher question. I don’t know.

There would be a fiduciary breach between Swafford and the ACC/ACC schools in the hypothetical you’re raising.

I think they would have to look at what ESPN knew at the time and prove that they were aware that Swafford was dealing with them in a manner that was in breach of his fiduciary responsibilities.

Selfishly, I want the SEC, I would potentially be able to see my Canes play here in Columbia SC every other year. There would also potentially be games against Clemson and Georgia that I could go to as well. BUT.....I think that the B10 would treat us more fairly than the SEC would.

Advertisement
@E1k ‘s cool man but once he’s on a mission he simply…

View attachment 241027

He is a very solid poster. His deflection statement was Grade A. It's all good.

This is a great thread with very solid points on both sides of the aisle. In terms of the games themselves, either would bring a much sexier set of matchups than what we have now. Like @E1k implied, we are still our own worst enemy. We need to get our house in order and start running this program like a 1st class business by the time we step into the ring with either conference.

IMO the most persuasive selling point SEC schools use against UM while poaching South Florida kids is some variation of "SEC football is the highest level of college football and NFL teams know this and draft accordingly." Thinking about only football recruiting, I don't think anyone can honestly argue SEC isn't the winner. I could entertain an argument that "more money" will mean "more money for athletics and more NIL money," which will undoubtedly help close the gap. But while I believe the money will help close the gap, we will still lose blue-chip recruits to SEC schools who are looking at college as a mandatory 3 years before turning pro.
SEC is absolutely better for us in terms of pure football recruiting, assuming all else is equal in terms of the recruiting rules being what they are today.

I trust the SEC less than the BIG as far as how we’ll be treated and valued.

The research money and academic boost is better in the BIG. I get why a lot of people who care mostly about the football aspects prefer the SEC and based on their priorities it’s logical within the scope of football first.

When, though?

Some people are acting like we will have 4 or 5 snow games every year, and that's just not true.

I'm fine with going to Madison in the first half of the season. I'd like to see Camp Randall.

And let's not pretend that Madison/Ann Arbor will be any different from Starkville or Columbia (either one) or Norman.
Try a little farther north like Knoxville or Lexington, KY
But to your point, don't we play in Chestnut Hill, Mass or Pittsburgh or Blacksburg, Va late in the season ?

Advertisement
If ND and FSU join us in the B1G it becomes much more appealing. Otherwise, SEC just makes too much sense.

Geography + football recruiting goes to the SEC. Would be nice to take the "SEC football is just different" pitch and flip it in our favor. Total school profile, we probably have more in common with the B1G. I am somewhat concerned in the SEC we'd get treated similar to how the ACC treats us.

Thinking of other sports for a minute, I give a slight lean to the B1G for basketball. SEC is definitely better for baseball. Have to think life will be logistically and financially easier for the other non-revenue sports in the SEC.

Tough call. From a purely football perspective I lean SEC. From an overall perspective I lean B1G. Either is better than the ACC, though.
Yeah, lower revenue sports would be better in the SEC

It's been awhile since I've posted but this thread has piqued my interest. I attended Miami a long, long time ago. Many of you weren't even born by the time I graduated. The joke back then was "Miami is the only place where you have to drive 200 miles north to get to the south". By and large Miami was built on northern money. Most students in those days came from NY, NJ, MA, PA, CT, etc. The U could not be called a SOUTHERN school. We played many southern schools naturally because they were close. But we also played teams from the north, mid-west and far west. To repeat: Miami is NOT a SOUTHERN school even with all the changes over the years.

There are tons of people who come down in the fall from the north. They are mostly OSU fans and Michigan fans. If we were to get into the BIG there would be plenty of interest from those northerners. My vote goes BIG!

Last edited:
B1G adds Miami, Cal, Kansas, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford, Washington

SEC adds Clemson, Duke, fsu, Georgia Tech, UNC, NC State, UVA, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Advertisement
I dont buy that recruiting will be easier in the SEC....the B1G has a national profile, and it would be easier to recruit the NE, SW, MW and FW.

I attended Miami a long, long time ago. Many of you weren't even born by the time I graduated. The joke back then was "Miami is the only place where you have to drive 200 miles north to get to the south".

(y)

Know from experience it's 500 miles round trip from Daytona Beach to Joe Robbie Stadium (and you ain't hit "The South" along that I-95 corridor til you get to Daytona)

Advertisement
When we move, it’ll be to the Big imho. SEC schools don’t want us as recruiting competition, and the Gator will do everything in its power to make sure it doesn’t happen.

When we move, it’ll be to the Big imho. SEC schools don’t want us as recruiting competition, and the Gator will do everything in its power to make sure it doesn’t happen.

Spurrier and Meyer days are over and done.

UF the bottom feeder got about as much “power” in the SEC as Mississippi State and Vandy.

Advertisement
Back