Votes: 36 8.0%
  • I am from Florida and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 147 32.5%
  • I am from the South (not Florida) and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • I am from somewhere else and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 121 26.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, I think this is going to be a matter of needing to dissolve the ACC.
Agreed, but I was talking about all D1 schools left out of the Big 2, not just those in the current ACC. There are going to be quite a few former Power 5 schools who are going to be left behind as second class citizens getting the current Group of 5 treatment. I have a feeling the majority of them will look at ways to keep themselves relevant. More importantly, their state's Congressional membership will be looking to keep their electorate happy as well.

Advertisement
Would that only come into play for "for profit" entities? Does the lack of a competitive football team truly affect the university's ability to perform its primary role (supposedly) of providing a college education for its students?

It is a good point and one I see being used down the line by those schools who do not end up in one of the Big 2. The money gap is so great with plenty of public institutions involved, I just don't see where the government or some kind of litigation gets involved once the dust settles.

I think @No_Fly_Zone covered some of this in his great response back on Page 6.

This isn't about "profit" vs. "not for profit" entities. It's really about whether there was an element of fraud or deception or dishonesty at the outset that now renders the contract so onerous that the courts and public policy cannot allow it to stand as is.

Can the ACC schools make a STUPID decision? Absolutely. I've been arguing this for years, that the TV deal (ACC) and the adidas deal (UM) were just too **** long and did not provide the chance for a more-frequent market reset to fair market value. Instead, the only way that the ACC could "renegotiate" our TV payout was to increase the size of the conference. And outside of Notre Dame, this would have involved poaching schools from other conferences, which comes with its own legal and ethical dilemmas.

Now, can the ACC then DECEIVE the member institutions, or can ESPN on its own DECEIVE the ACC and lock various parties into an onerous contract? Posssssibly. So if the ACC told member schools "hey, you can get out of the GOR by paying a 2-year exit penalty", and then they remove that clause from the final document, one could argue that this deception locked the schools into a decades-long deal that was never contemplated. Or if ESPN comes back and says "hey, you just accepted Notre Dame for football, but because Maryland left a while ago, we will not re-open discussions, because we snuck in a clause that says "the ACC as constituted at 2010", then you could have legal recourse.

However...as discussed...I don't feel like we have the factual scenario to argue along these lines, even if we know that the widening $$$ gap is KILLING US. But...sadly...that is OUR FAULT for agreeing to such a craptastic contract. And I'm not saying that I personally knew every detail of the deal 10 years ago. But our Presidents and ADs did. And they signed off anyhow.

So I think our only way out is to kill the whole ACC conference. And THAT should kill the GOR (though I'm not sure if there has been a prior case that proved that theory). And then once the GOR and conference are gone, we can go where we want at no cost.

On the other hand, will ESPN threaten lititgation to keep a VERY favorable broadcast deal in place, GOR or no GOR? Very possibly, which is why we might still end up working out a compromise with ESPN.

Dude, what SEC school are you driving to from south Florida besides UF? It's an 11 hour car drive from Miami to Athens. 14 hours to Tuscaloosa. I'm taking an airplane to anywhere in the SEC besides Gainesville.

It's about parents going to games. I've known or met many through the years and they'd drive to the games. Often they'd hit the next weekend doing whatever between. Limited budget, it's certainly more viable hitting the road. Obviously some will fly, but again, you're passing a conference to play in another.

Advertisement
Thank you for providing that detail!

Although I said MSY to LSU Tiger Stadium is right at an hour, I would gladly turn it into a 49 hour drive, spending those extra 48 on Bourbon St 🤣
Ill be right there with you (y)

B1G over SEC.

We’d bring disciplined within the conference for violations, we’d get treated like Ole Miss did vs how LSU/Bama/UGA/Tenn (soon to be Texas) would get treated.

At least in the B1G, only two teams in the cool kids club currently, OSU/Mich. More likely to be voted in and accepted as part of the club. Along with Notre Dame. View us as an alliance to take down the stronghold the SEC has on the sport/championship.
This is a great point.
In the SEC we’d be on the back side of that old Tark’ joke.

It's about parents going to games. I've known or met many through the years and they'd drive to the games. Often they'd hit the next weekend doing whatever between. Limited budget, it's certainly more viable hitting the road. Obviously some will fly, but again, you're passing a conference to play in another.
I’m not sure it’s even that budget friendly to take 12+ hour road trips. On top of having to take extra time off from work to accommodate the travel time, you’re likely spending $200-300 in gas each way. I get your point but travel distance in the modern game isn’t really an issue. It’s why conferences aren’t regional anymore.

I’m not sure it’s even that budget friendly to take 12+ hour road trips. On top of having to take extra time off from work to accommodate the travel time, you’re likely spending $200-300 in gas each way. I get your point but travel distance in the modern game isn’t really an issue. It’s why conferences aren’t regional anymore.

Conferences aren't regional anymore because of one thing, money.

That doesn't mean the fans, parents, etc don't suffer for it.

That gas is one plane ticket, perhaps even less. Four or five family members in a car, etc.

Maybe NIL allows for low income families to travel more, but it's tough to beat the road for families that don't have much. In particular if there's a car load going. You could do it for a quarter of what it'd cost to fly, rent a car, etc.

Advertisement

That gas is one plane ticket, perhaps even less. Four or five family members in a car, etc.

Maybe NIL allows for low income families to travel more, but it's tough to beat the road for families that don't have much. In particular if there's a car load going. You could do it for a quarter of what it'd cost to fly, rent a car, etc.

Mileage on your car, taking an extra day off work, extra night hotel stay... I am not convinced it's 1/4 of the cost. Time is money afterall.

I suspect the costs of driving from Miami to Oxford for a 3:30 Saturday game vs. flying from Miami to Columbus are much closer than 4x... especially if you adequately value PTO.

You said “it’s about the parents” in another post. Are you saying that you think that the conference decision should be about parents of players being able to drive 5-16 hours to see their kids play above money and research opportunities for the school???

You really think that the conference decision should be about parents of players being able to drive 5-16 hours to see their kids play?

I think there's a lot of factors, but it's dumb to fly over an entire conference if both offer to play in the Big. You also have those schools across the entire country.

Parents ideally want their kids closer to home. That's just a fact. You start sending your team up north, across the country, that's going to elimanate some families. It's too **** spread out.

It's an optics thing. On most levels, the Big isn't the conference to be in. All we talk about on here is how overrated the conference is in football and now we want to join it? You've got people saying we'll be treated better. Please, people in the Midwest aren't any different than the Irish fans, in fact they're in lock step with them.

Academically and potentially monetarily are the only two reasons you'd go to the Big. Would you rather recruit Big areas or SEC areas? What conference has had a stranglehold on championships? What conference is better outside of football athletically? I can't stand thay conference if I'm being honest. It's not a fit and if we end up there, it won't be beneficial.

****, all these big conferences, there'll be two to four teams and the others will be feeder schools for them. The sport is turning to **** all for the sake of money.

Mileage on your car, taking an extra day off work, extra night hotel stay... I am not convinced it's 1/4 of the cost. Time is money afterall.

I suspect the costs of driving from Miami to Oxford for a 3:30 Saturday game vs. flying from Miami to Columbus are much closer than 4x... especially if you adequately value PTO.

Bro, where we get a lot of kids, there isn't PTO. You're lucky if both parents are in the home. Lots of broken families and unless they're getting the money from someone, they aren't flying. This isn't our stratosphere of wealth, but a different one we left or never knew. Obviously not everyone and maybe NIL changes that, but it isn't just catch flights everywhere, it's different.

Advertisement
I think there's a lot of factors, but it's dumb to fly over an entire conference if both offer to play in the Big. You also have those schools across the entire country.

Parents ideally want their kids closer to home. That's just a fact. You start sending your team up north, across the country, that's going to elimanate some families. It's too **** spread out.

It's an optics thing. On most levels, the Big isn't the conference to be in. All we talk about on here is how overrated the conference is in football and now we want to join it? You've got people saying we'll be treated better. Please, people in the Midwest aren't any different than the Irish fans, in fact they're in lock step with them.

Academically and potentially monetarily are the only two reasons you'd go to the Big. Would you rather recruit Big areas or SEC areas? What conference has had a stranglehold on championships? What conference is better outside of football athletically? I can't stand thay conference if I'm being honest. It's not a fit and if we end up there, it won't be beneficial.

****, all these big conferences, there'll be two to four teams and the others will be feeder schools for them. The sport is turning to **** all for the sake of money.
SEC is better for football recruiting. Academics, money with research and fit are better in the BIG. I really do believe that we would be treated worse in the SEC, yeah. No doubt in my mind about that.

I don’t think it will matter though because probably unlike most, I don’t think we get an actual invite to the SEC. I think, Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA and possibly VT and NC St would have more support for membership amongst the SEC faithful than UM.

Ehh, if seeing their kids play every week was the most important thing, Miami would be signing all these South Florida kids who went to Ohio State or Alabama or Georgia. When a south Florida kid goes to Ohio State, it’s a “business decision”. Miami needs to make a “business decision” in regards to their conference affiliation.

SEC is better for football recruiting. Academics, money with research and fit are better in the BIG. I really do believe that we would be treated worse in the SEC, yeah. No doubt in my mind about that.

I don’t think it will matter though because probably unlike most, I don’t think we get an actual invite to the SEC. I think, Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA and possibly VT and NC St would have more support for membership anongst the SEC faithful than UM.
Don’t forget UF will do everything they can to keep Miami out of the SEC. The state legislature forces them to play FSU every year so the Seminoles will be welcome but UF made it clear long ago that they want no part of having to play Miami yearly.

Advertisement
The opinion poll is nice to get the pulse of the fanbase. However, Miami will be headed to the B1G 100%.

Miami just got AAU academic status. This is a huge deal. The reason is that every B1G school has AAU status except Nebraska which was kicked out of the AAU.

Rather than me try to explain what the AAU is and why it's important you need to watch YouTube Mark Rodger's TV Miami Hurricanes show where Tony Altimore breaks down the AAU. He compares Miami and ND to the rest the B1G and also the rest of the P5. The money in academic research supported by the federal government dwarfs college football at over 16 billion annually.

Watch the video and you'll understand why Miami is headed to the B1G. It's just a matter of when.

Last edited:
Don’t forget UF will do everything they can to keep Miami out of the SEC. The state legislature forces them to play FSU every year so the Seminoles will be welcome but UF made it clear long ago that they want no part of having to play Miami yearly.

Miami to Big 10 Split my time between WNC and Tally. Like to see FSU Clem to the SEC. Maintain schedule somehow with FSU. Hope ACC crash and burns. Worst case would like to see new BIG East with top schools. Syracuse, Pitt, VTech Lou, GTech, and maybe poach some others. (I know not happening).
Miami will be in the B1G. Any school that doesn't have AAU status won't even be considered for the B1G. Miami and ND just got AAU status recently.

Miami will be in the B1G. Any school that doesn't have AAU status won't even be considered for the B1G. Miami and ND just got AAU status recently.
Yea I think that would be the move
Bringing Miami and nd together should be the move for the big 10 and make them an annual rival
That’s really the only marque move that moves the needle for the big 10

Bro, where we get a lot of kids, there isn't PTO. You're lucky if both parents are in the home. Lots of broken families and unless they're getting the money from someone, they aren't flying. This isn't our stratosphere of wealth, but a different one we left or never knew. Obviously not everyone and maybe NIL changes that, but it isn't just catch flights everywhere, it's different.

I hear you. And as a first generation guy I was fortunate enough not to live in poverty, but its presence was nearby and appreciated.

That said, in my experience, if you don't have the PTO you're going to be worse off. If you're on an hourly and you don't show up, at a minimum you aren't getting paid for the day (and you might end up fired). Even worse for single-income homes below a living wage, where the logistical realities can be as burdensome as the financial ones. Unfortunately, for the working poor, the practical reality of flying 1600 miles versus driving 1200 miles roundtrip is sadly the same... probably not happening without some financial assistance. A bright spot with NIL is it can help alleviate some of that.

Advertisement
Back