Votes: 147 32.5%
  • I am from the South (not Florida) and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • I am from somewhere else and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 121 26.8%

• Total voters
Wherever the most money and best branding is

For just football i rather sec

Also can we stop with the sec hates us narrative or wants to control us **** lol we have stunk forever stop deflecting, if we are serious about football we will be good no matter where we go

Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami isn't the South. It's Miami! And because of our distinct culture, we are hated in the south

To me, the Big10 is a better culture fit and, with its expansion west, the Big10 allows us to remain a national brand.
There’s zero southern about Miami. I was born and raised there and lived in the south, mostly Virginia, for many years. No one I’ve known looks at us as part of the south. They laugh when I say we’re in the south though.

Also can we stop with the sec hates us narrative or wants to control us **** lol we have stunk forever stop deflecting, if we are serious about football we will be good no matter where we go
Im not saying we get a welcome hand job from the B1G, but I think your sweeping a lot under the rug there with that statement.

If we are serious about football, yes. We will be good anywhere. Of course. But you are smart enough to know that the SEC does not like us and would love to control us.

Would you still believe your statement if I swapped out the word SEC and replaced it with NCAA?

Advertisement

I am distrustful of those southern gentlemen. I think they’d mess with our recruiting location advantage if we did well. I don’t trust em for a second and no…

zpttjRDX.gif

Football & Baseball the SEC makes the most sense imo. Basketball & academics it’s the BIG. Personally I feel like the brand, culture and demographics fit the BIG better than it would in the SEC.

If you did a blind resume I feel it would align more with being a BIG school. The only reason this is a debate is Miami is the southernmost P5 school. If we were anywhere north of Tennessee I think it’d be a foregone conclusion we’d be in the BIG.

And how far is it to the Big Schools? It's much further.

I'm not talking about fans, I'm taking about parents. Every game is a monumental undertaking. You just drove or flew past every SEC school aside from a few to get to the Big school. Literally drove past or flew over.

Again, you're doing to so play against teams that get waxed on the big stage, no pun intended.
No doubt, if we are making a pros and cons list, travelling to games would be easier overall to the SEC. You can check that box.

But I think the point is, its maybe not that big of an undertaking as you may think for fan/parent travel. There are only 6 away games anyways. You still have to get on a plane in most cases unless you plan on really long road trips.

Lets say Kentucky: about 2 hr 20 minute flight time from Miami

Lets say OSU: about 2 hrs 45 minute flight time from Miami

Its not going to be too much more time with your butt in that airplane seat on average for those 6 games.

Is it advantage SEC, yes. Big advantage, No. not imo.

Miami isn't the South. It's Miami! And because of our distinct culture, we are hated in the south

To me, the Big10 is a better culture fit and, with its expansion west, the Big10 allows us to remain a national brand.
Devils advocate - being a national brand is tied into how much the national media talks about you. We all know ESPN/ all national media spends more time on the SEC than anyone else. Yes, a lot of that is due the Bama dynasty/Georgia’s current run. But look at Ole Miss, not a traditional power, they went 8-5 but media loves talking them up. Kiffins personality certainly helps, but Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, and Maryland all had same/better records - with a fraction of the hype.

I get what you’re saying and agree to some extent, but I think national media covers SEC way harder which pushes a lot of national branding.

Advertisement
OP, I know it's late in the game, but I wonder how age factors into this decision. I'm guessing those fans 35 years or younger would more likely vote Big 10 and over 35 would lean toward the SEC. As an older guy myself, I'd lean SEC to play Florida again every year (plus, I think FSU is going to the SEC).

Just an observation, but I find it funny people think Miami will be treated fairly by either the SEC or Big 10. The question should be which would treat Miami worse. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just see them picking Miami strictly for strategic purposes (Big 10 to get into Florida, SEC to prevent the Big 10 from getting into Florida).

Big 10 is a better cultural and academic fit. I also believe our chances of being treated as a top tier asset/investment would be higher.
Big 10 will make us a priority. There have been reports saying the Big 10 desperately wants to be presented in Florida. Plus, they got a hefty new TV deal.

Thats a nice pull.

Advertisement
SEC for many reasons (in no particular order):

1) It is the best football conference;

2) It would help recruiting the most;

3) We have not played well in cold weather in the past (only our greatest teams were seemingly unaffected by weather; our less-than-stellar teams were heavily affected by it). Could you imagine a bunch of SoFla divas going to Indiana or Purdue (basically bfe) and it's December and their W-L is say 5-4 and they are not really that into it? We've seen that movie before in the El Paso bowl & others and it ain't pretty;

4) There are very few appealing destinations to travel to in the BIG (outside of USC & UCLA). Games against Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana, Butgers in winter in really cold & depressing places etc. Nah...thanks, dawg;

5) Attendance & atmosphere at HRS would see a major boon from joining the SEC. The SEC would travel well for virtually all of their games. That would leave only OOC games against weak opponents at risk of poor attendance. Virtually all other games at HRS would be sold out...and we could sell that on the recruiting trail;

6) Almost every game against an SEC opponent would be of interest to me. Only a handful of games would be in the BIG.

7) Our strength of schedule metrics would be off the charts in all 3 major sports;

8) Our South Florida athletes (fast, explosive, athletic) fit better in the SEC than in the BIG where it's slower, larger and more lumbering players. Remember when Golden tried to "BIG" us in recruiting? It wasn't a fit. Also, it's been feast or famine for us against big physical run-oriented teams like Wisconsin. When elite, we've destroyed teams that were one-dimensional. At other times, they've run a train on us and we could not stop it. How miserable would that be to travel to Wisky in December and sit there in the freezing cold and watch them pound the ball down our throats for 3 hours (note: this won't happen under Mario because the trenches are getting a HUGE upgrade on both sides but it could happen post-Mario in 20 years);

9) When we were elite in the late 80s, we dominated SEC teams like LSU and Missouri by scores like 44-3 (in Baton Rouge no less). Yes, the SEC is more likely to control our fate than the BIG but if we're great there's only so much the refs & the Commissioner can do (in the NIL era). Pre-NIL it would have been a whole different story as the only sacred cows were the current top 5 schools;

10) Games against UF & FSU would be great (assuming FSU also joins);

11) Travel for football isn't that big of a deal because of the limited number of away games each year. Travel for Baseball and Basketball (and non-revenue sports) could be a real burden in the BIG as Baseball plays quite a few games;

12) Can't stand OSU and don't want to be reminded of the tainted Fiasco Bowl every year; and

13) Vandy's a prestigious school academically and it hasn't been hurt by SEC membership.

We fit much better in the SEC in almost every aspect. Two other big factors to consider are: (i) revenue & payouts and (ii) research grants.

Last edited:
Thinking you are correct. SEC will not do us any favors...but will the b1g?
No. This is the strangest narrative on this thread.

There are many, many good points being made, but the assumption of better treatment by one of these two leagues is baffling to me.

Advertisement
Back