• I am from Florida and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 147 32.5%
  • I am from the South (not Florida) and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • I am from somewhere else and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 121 26.8%

• Total voters
Advertisement
I like the regionality and $EC would fill the stands more than Rutgers and NW.

However, B10 would now have UCLA and USC, so that would be great with PSU and OSU.

Flat out, the Big would relagate us to perrrenial doormat.

Why travel 1100 miles to play games when you can cut that in half and play schools of the same caliber or better in half the distance?

We're talking road trips verse two days in a car or airfare.

Recruiting wise, you just made it simpler for the SEC to take whomever they want. You're trying to do your thing while flying over the SEC wall.

I'm sorry, but if you want the Big, your head is in your ***. The Big isn't anything but the SEC's ***** right now and us g[BGCOLOR=initial]oing there doesn't change that.[/BGCOLOR]
There is a case to be made on both sides of this arguement. But to say that posters are dumb as **** for choosing the B1G is a bit over the top and a little arrogant of you. Just shootin straight with you.

Both have significant benefits for different reasons… we’ve had different administrations who’ve had different priorities. I think it’s no longer up for debate what strong athletics… football mostly does for a university.

We come out winners either way. But from a recruitment standpoint I think the SEC provides a slight advantage. Especially in the trenches, where the high end DL typically choose to go and you see the difference there year in and year out from a depth perspective.

There are outliers of course. But typically SEC second teamers in the trenches are way better anyone else’s second teamers. There in lies the recruiting advantages because of the draw.

Advertisement
I don't agree with that at all. This is about TV markets, winning, and money. Not diversity. There's young men of all cultures on every team throughout the country and fans of all diversities. Stop that south stereotyping bull****. It's old and played out.
Dude…first of all, if you can’t come correct, don’t comment on my post at all. My post was about the POLL and why it ultimately will result in Pro B1G over the SEC. Has nothing to do with the kids on the teams or their nationalities…so try frickin READING the next time before coming sideways at a poster.

Good day Sir.

I've been thinking about this angle. It's not entirely dissimilar to why F$U joined the ACC.
It’s hard to predict how much winning will need to be done in the future to make the playoffs, and in turn, compete for a championship. Right now, you can lose at most 1 game. Yea, we’re not doing that in BIG or SEC soon.

With expansion to 12 games, that opens up the post-season to teams that have finished with 3 losses historically. It seems, ultimately, the playoffs will just be the SEC and B1G, the gap will just be too large. Maybe playoffs will be 4 best SEC vs 4 best B1G, who knows. I do think we’ll see 9-3 teams make the playoffs, maybe even less.

Something to keep in mind, that winning standards needed for the post-season will likely drastically change.

Right now, voters from Florida are closely divided but favor B1GLY Those from the rest of the South favor $EC. Those from elsewhere (other states and abroad) heavily favor B1GLY.

Will continue to monitor this lively poll.

Advertisement
I forgive folks for only caring about football and saying SEC because they are without a doubt the best, been the best for a long time, and will be the best for the foreseeable future (until the realignment cards fall anyway). but it is bigger than football, and if the AAU research money speculation is true it would be a terrible mistake to gain status only to not take advantage on a university .

-also I hope the b1g adds UW and UO so I can have as many as 4 west coast games.
I’d like this too though selfishly want a Bay Area school. I agree with others who think that the SEC would be better for recruiting. It probably would. That said, if you’re UM, as a University the BIG is better and it’s more money just in research grants.

Tough call. A number of solid arguments either way.

$EC, mainly if FSU and Clemson join as well. I do think $EC refs would make their ACC colleagues look like amateurs when is came to ***** the Canes.

BIG, if the $EC wasn’t an option. Selfishly, living in SoCal, I’d love to see Miami play West Coast games vs USC, UCLA, and possibly Oregon and Washington if those team joined. I do think, and perhaps I’m wrong, playing in the BIG would provide a national platform with teams on the West Coast, MidWest, East Coast, and South. If Mario can return us to true national prominence the BIG could have elite programs across the country. Travel issues, sure, but so would everyone in conference.

If ND and FSU join us in the B1G it becomes much more appealing. Otherwise, SEC just makes too much sense.

Geography + football recruiting goes to the SEC. Would be nice to take the "SEC football is just different" pitch and flip it in our favor. Total school profile, we probably have more in common with the B1G. I am somewhat concerned in the SEC we'd get treated similar to how the ACC treats us.

Thinking of other sports for a minute, I give a slight lean to the B1G for basketball. SEC is definitely better for baseball. Have to think life will be logistically and financially easier for the other non-revenue sports in the SEC.

Tough call. From a purely football perspective I lean SEC. From an overall perspective I lean B1G. Either is better than the ACC, though.

Advertisement
Flat out, the Big would relagate us to perrrenial doormat.

Why travel 1100 miles to play games when you can cut that in half and play schools of the same caliber or better in half the distance?

We're talking road trips verse two days in a car or airfare.

Recruiting wise, you just made it simpler for the SEC to take whomever they want. You're trying to do your thing while flying over the SEC wall.

I'm sorry, but if you want the Big, your head is in your ***. The Big isn't anything but the SEC's ***** right now and us g[BGCOLOR=initial]oing there doesn't change that.[/BGCOLOR]
You are getting on a plane for every game but gainesville if you live in south florida. Who are we kidding, Miami fans don’t drive to hard rock stadium in any significant number so let's not pretend this has anything to do with the likelihood that someone shows up to watch Miami.

The idea of saving yourself one set of airfaure at best every other year is such a bad argument.

Gainesville - 670+ miles round trip

Auburn - 1200+ miles round trip
South Carolina - 1200+ miles round trip
Georgia- 1300+ miles round trip
Alabama - 1500+ miles round trip
Tennessee - 1700+ miles round trip
Miss St - 1700+ miles round trip
Vandy - 1800+ miles round trip
LSU - 1800+ miles round trip
Ole Miss - 1900+ miles round trip
Kentucky - 2000+ miles round trip
Texas A&M - 2500+ miles round trip
Missouri - 2600+ miles round trip
Texas - 2600+ miles round trip
Arkansas - 2600+ miles round trip
Oklahoma - 2900+ miles round trip

Advertisement
I forgive folks for only caring about football and saying SEC because they are without a doubt the best, been the best for a long time, and will be the best for the foreseeable future (until the realignment cards fall anyway). but it is bigger than football, and if the AAU research money speculation is true it would be a terrible mistake to gain status only to not take advantage on a university

I’d like this too though selfishly want a Bay Area school. I agree with others who think that the SEC would be better for recruiting. It probably would. That said, if you’re UM, as a University the BIG is better and it’s more money just in research grants.

I know y’all are correct in saying the academic side should be prioritized, but … man it sure would feel good if the president said something to the effect of “we will base a decision on our future athletic conference strictly on what’s best for our athletic programs at this university.”

You are getting on a plane for every game but gainesville if you live in south florida. Who are we kidding, Miami fans don’t drive to hard rock stadium in any significant number so let's not pretend this has anything to do with the likelihood that someone shows up to watch Miami.

The idea of saving yourself one set of airfaure at best every other year is such a bad argument.

Gainesville - 670+ miles round trip

Auburn - 1200+ miles round trip
South Carolina - 1200+ miles round trip
Georgia- 1300+ miles round trip
Alabama - 1500+ miles round trip
Tennessee - 1700+ miles round trip
Miss St - 1700+ miles round trip
Vandy - 1800+ miles round trip
LSU - 1800+ miles round trip
Ole Miss - 1900+ miles round trip
Kentucky - 2000+ miles round trip
Texas A&M - 2500+ miles round trip
Missouri - 2600+ miles round trip
Texas - 2600+ miles round trip
Arkansas - 2600+ miles round trip
Oklahoma - 2900+ miles round trip

And how far is it to the Big Schools? It's much further.

I'm not talking about fans, I'm taking about parents. Every game is a monumental undertaking. You just drove or flew past every SEC school aside from a few to get to the Big school. Literally drove past or flew over.

Again, you're doing to so play against teams that get waxed on the big stage, no pun intended.

I know y’all are correct in saying the academic side should be prioritized, but … man it sure would feel good if the president said something to the effect of “we will base a decision on our future athletic conference strictly on what’s best for our athletic programs at this university.”
Lol That won’t happen. The SEC would benefit us in recruiting in some ways. That said, in terms of how we’re treated, I think the BIG is better for us, money aside. I absolutely believe that if we got in the SEC and recruiting took off that they’d put some kind of limits on local visits or something. I don’t trust them in the least. If they had us under their control they’d hamstring us to level out our location advantages.

Advertisement
Back