Votes: 36 8.0%
  • I am from Florida and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 147 32.5%
  • I am from the South (not Florida) and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • I am from somewhere else and prefer the B1GLY

Votes: 121 26.8%

• Total voters
Poll will ultimately reveal what makes UM unique and really separates us from majority of other P5 teams. Our fanbase is extremely diverse by way of cultural backgrounds and our brand being throughout the country.

Places in the Northeast don’t root for Bama, doesn’t matter if they win 5 more titles. People in NC/The South don’t root for Ohio State etc….but both areas of the country have Miami fans.

As Mario said in his opening presser when taking the job….”This U, it’s just different”.

If the poll were about any other school, it would make sense. UM is different though. You also will notice that most people from the South, will likely not want UM in the SEC…UM fans are diverse and that’s generally the opposite when it comes to the SEC as it’s fanbase is from The South.

Advertisement
I'm just saying no other school can use the u can play vs the SEC against us. That's huge if u think it ain't it is. If we do our job we will get dogs but that makes it much easier imo.

You're right. They've definitely built their image as being the premier league and that would put us on a equal platform right off the bat. I believe that gap would be shrunk substantially though with us moving to the BIG. Obviously it's a much tougher sell for recruits when we tell them come play in the ACC against Tobacco Rd versus come to Miami and play against OSU, Michigan, USC, Penn St. ND, etc. Not to mention we'd have a good bit of the recruits already in our backyard because of our location that we'd have a better chance of keeping home. I believe the BIG would value our membership more because it gives them access to an area that don't already have in FL. Not to mention all the money that can be funneled to the players. There's been discussion regarding the BIG being the first to actually make players employees of the University, which would also be an advantage. I was definitely on the SEC train with you, but the more I think about it I believe the BIG would be the better move. We go to the SEC we've having to be looked on as an additional after thought behind Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, and others. We don't bring as much to the SEC as we bring the BIG.

You're right. They've definitely built their image as being the premier league and that would put us on a equal platform right off the bat. I believe that gap would be shrunk substantially though with us moving to the BIG. Obviously it's a much tougher sell for recruits when we tell them come play in the ACC against Tobacco Rd versus come to Miami and play against OSU, Michigan, USC, Penn St. ND, etc. Not to mention we'd have a good bit of the recruits already in our backyard because of our location that we'd have a better chance of keeping home. I believe the BIG would value our membership more because it gives them access to an area that don't already have in FL. Not to mention all the money that can be funneled to the players. There's been discussion regarding the BIG being the first to actually make players employees of the University, which would also be an advantage. I was definitely on the SEC train with you, but the more I think about it I believe the BIG would be the better move. We go to the SEC we've having to be looked on as an additional after thought behind Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, and others. We don't bring as much to the SEC as we bring the BIG.
Good post to open my eyes. Either way seems fine at this point. Whichever one we do go to I hope is best and works out best.

Poll will ultimately reveal what makes UM unique and really separates us from majority of other P5 teams. Our fanbase is extremely diverse by way of cultural backgrounds and our brand being throughout the country.

Places in the Northeast don’t root for Bama, doesn’t matter if they win 5 more titles. People in NC/The South don’t root for Ohio State etc….but both areas of the country have Miami fans.

As Mario said in his opening presser when taking the job….”This U, it’s just different”.

If the poll were about any other school, it would make sense. UM is different though. You also will notice that most people from the South, will likely not want UM in the SEC…UM fans are diverse and that’s generally the opposite when it comes to the SEC as it’s fanbase is from The South.

I don't agree with that at all. This is about TV markets, winning, and money. Not diversity. There's young men of all cultures on every team throughout the country and fans of all diversities. Stop that south stereotyping bull****. It's old and played out.

Advertisement
I would take either in a heartbeat and would be elated no matter what.

I would prefer SEC for a few reasons, recruiting being a big one. People bring up school culture and campus culture, but this seems pretty irrelevant to me compared to which schools recruit similar athletes to us. The way we play football, based on the types of players we recruit, much more closely aligns with SEC. If FSU were to go SEC and we go B1G, the kids in our backyard would be between us and all SEC programs (like it is now, but worse). I think a lot of recruits want to play with/against kids they grew up competing with, and I worry being a B1G island in a sea of SEC country would push more kids away to the SEC. I want to be part of the conference with the most power in the state, instead of remaining a second-class citizen in our own state. Obviously its different to kids up north, but here SEC is a much bigger brand among young people.

Separately, renewing the Florida Cup would be great, there's no other triangle of hate even close in the sport. Maybe I'm wrong and someone older can chime in, but Florida naturally feels like our second biggest rival.

Outside UF, SEC matchups imo are more interesting, and I think would help more than the B1G in terms of creating a great gameday at HRS. For me personally, UF, UGA, Tennessee, Bama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, TAMU, Texas, and OU are all big matchups that I'd also want to travel to. Only schools at that level, imo, in the B1G are Michigan, OSU, PSU, USC, and sorta Wisconsin.

Obviously great things about the B1G as well, just wanted to state why SEC gets the edge imo. Both conferences are great options and can't go wrong either way.

Win and the local SEC slurping minimizes. Add that the B1G would be a super conference and we fuccin …

The “I wanna play in the SEC” was a nice excuse for the locals to use to politely say Miami is hot garbage and we don’t have that loyalty to bring it back… even our own alumni…

Let's get to 1000 votes, you filthy Hurricane animals!!!
I couldn't vote because the construct of being "from" somewhere doesn't apply when you're omnipresent.....plus, I want to join the Big Sky Conference.

You ever see the lovely ladies of Montana and Idaho? You fools will spend one Saturday in November in Pocatello or Missoula and your wife and kids will never see you return.

I couldn't vote because the construct of being "from" somewhere doesn't apply when you're omnipresent.....plus, I want to join the Big Sky Conference.

You ever see the lovely ladies of Montana and Idaho? You fools will spend one Saturday in November in Pocatello or Missoula and your wife and kids will never see you return.
Dennis Erickson is a Montana State man.

Advertisement
When, though?

Some people are acting like we will have 4 or 5 snow games every year, and that's just not true.

I'm fine with going to Madison in the first half of the season. I'd like to see Camp Randall.

And let's not pretend that Madison/Ann Arbor will be any different from Starkville or Columbia (either one) or Norman.

I'll see you in Iowa brother

iowa.gif

corn2.gif

Advertisement
I forgive folks for only caring about football and saying SEC because they are without a doubt the best, been the best for a long time, and will be the best for the foreseeable future (until the realignment cards fall anyway). but it is bigger than football, and if the AAU research money speculation is true it would be a terrible mistake to gain status only to not take advantage on a university .

-also I hope the b1g adds UW and UO so I can have as many as 4 west coast games.

Advertisement
Flat out, the Big would relagate us to perrrenial doormat.

Why travel 1100 miles to play games when you can cut that in half and play schools of the same caliber or better in half the distance?

We're talking road trips verse two days in a car or airfare.

Recruiting wise, you just made it simpler for the SEC to take whomever they want. You're trying to do your thing while flying over the SEC wall.

I'm sorry, but if you want the Big, your head is in your ***. The Big isn't anything but the SEC's ***** right now and us g[BGCOLOR=initial]oing there doesn't change that.[/BGCOLOR]

Flat out, the Big would relagate us to perrrenial doormat.

Why travel 1100 miles to play games when you can cut that in half and play schools of the same caliber or better in half the distance?

We're talking road trips verse two days in a car or airfare.

Recruiting wise, you just made it simpler for the SEC to take whomever they want. You're trying to do your thing while flying over the SEC wall.

I'm sorry, but if you want the Big, your head is in your ***. The Big isn't anything but the SEC's ***** right now and is going there doesn't change that.
The Circus Middle Finger GIF by Showtime

Advertisement
Back