Corey Flagg

Advertisement
Flagg can be Shaq lite but he better have some space eaters that are strong and stout in front of him. I think he will play late in his career or be a guy thàt gets passed up if we recruit at a old school Miami level.

Lol recruit old school Miami level....So what you are really saying is he is getting PT freshman year and probably starting after that...... dIAZ is still the coach. Shaq is slower than Flagg.....constantly out of position....gets abused in open field and tackling is average at best.

The QB from Flagg’s team just committed to Va Tech in the past two weeks. Kid threw for 3 TDS and ran for 3 more. Kid looks like he’ll be good.

Clemson started a slow LB for 3 years and won two national titles. Kendall Joseph ran a 5.05 at his pro day. They also had Ben Boulware’s slow *** start and win for them. Flagg can be slow. Just fill the right gap and be quick to diagnose

Bingo. People who actually understand how the LB position is played know that if you diagnose plays quickly and have good lateral movement you can more than make up for speed deficiencies. The college game isn't that fast and LBs don't run a dead sprint for 40 yds very often.

On the flipside I told this board Devin White is overrated and my Bucs took him 5 overall anyway. He's slow to diagnose, can't get off blocks and routinely gets beat in coverage. He has like a 40/100 rating on PFF. But hey at least he runs a 4.4 so he can chase down backs who already ran 50+ yards away from him because he missed his read. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-grading-all-32-first-round-picks-after-week-12-of-the-2019-nfl-season

Advertisement
Bingo. People who actually understand how the LB position is played know that if you diagnose plays quickly and have good lateral movement you can more than make up for speed deficiencies. The college game isn't that fast and LBs don't run a dead sprint for 40 yds very often.

On the flipside I told this board Devin White is overrated and my Bucs took him 5 overall anyway. He's slow to diagnose, can't get off blocks and routinely gets beat in coverage. He has like a 40/100 rating on PFF. But hey at least he runs a 4.4 so he can chase down backs who already ran 50+ yards away from him because he missed his read. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-grading-all-32-first-round-picks-after-week-12-of-the-2019-nfl-season
So you don't think flagg will have the same struggles in space that guys like shaq and mike had? Shaq and mike look great when they get to attack downhill and when they are blitzing.

So you don't think flagg will have the same struggles in space that guys like shaq and mike had? Shaq and mike look great when they get to attack downhill and when they are blitzing.

Mike doesn't struggle in space that much. Shaq does when he takes poor angles or lags with his reads. Oftentimes the Diaz/Baker scheme creates these problems because they run aggressive gap exchange calls that delay the LBs from getting to the perimeter - they attack their gap first and then have to change directions when it's too late. This scheme prioritizes guys who are physical and aggressive between the tackles compared to an Under front with read-and-react LBs patrolling sideline to sideline and having extensive zone responsibilities. The coaches probably view speed as a luxury not a requirement.

I definitely think Flagg has lighter feet and better overall movement in coverage. He has practiced at safety for his team and looked comfortable doing it. As a run defender it will come down to his reads, decisions and angles more than his speed.

Advertisement
Clemson started a slow LB for 3 years and won two national titles. Kendall Joseph ran a 5.05 at his pro day. They also had Ben Boulware’s slow *** start and win for them. Flagg can be slow. Just fill the right gap and be quick to diagnose

Lol;
Ben Boulware was also 6’1 225, played on a stacked def, and coached by one of, if not thee best DC in CFB.

We can’t keep comparing what program A had v. what we have; it’s not a fair comparison. The type of def this staff runs puts a lot of pressure on the LBs, it’s an all risk type of def, so if the line or the blitz don’t get home, ur LBs r left booty naked. With Flagg, as I mentioned, he’s a coached up kid, no doubt but he’s not a fluid, natural LB that’s going to be a difference maker. It will be a much more watered down Quarterman....I’m talking about Taco Tuesday Tequila shots, watered down.

I’ve watched him play enough to know at the next level, he will get ate alive. There’s a reason 247 has him listed as the 78th best ILB and 1,876 best player and it’s not just b/c he’s 5’10 (closer to 5’9), it’s b/c he has fluidity & hip flip issues, and we don’t have a staff or scheme that will hide/correct this.

People talk about another Shaq like it’s a bad thing. The guy has flaws but he is a first-team All ACC player who has put up monster numbers on good defenses.

If Flagg is Shaq, you throw him a scholly and don’t think twice.
I just want a kid who come in here, works his tail off and makes everyone better. He seems like the kid who will turn heads and light a fire in our defenses ***...we need a vocal & productive guy like that.

Advertisement
Mike doesn't struggle in space that much. Shaq does when he takes poor angles or lags with his reads. Oftentimes the Diaz/Baker scheme creates these problems because they run aggressive gap exchange calls that delay the LBs from getting to the perimeter - they attack their gap first and then have to change directions when it's too late. This scheme prioritizes guys who are physical and aggressive between the tackles compared to an Under front with read-and-react LBs patrolling sideline to sideline and having extensive zone responsibilities. The coaches probably view speed as a luxury not a requirement.

I definitely think Flagg has lighter feet and better overall movement in coverage. He has practiced at safety for his team and looked comfortable doing it. As a run defender it will come down to his reads, decisions and angles more than his speed.
Look at what mullen did to shaq and mike. He completely took them out the game by spreading the defense all night. Unc was doing similar things. My concern is with him having to play in space vs these spread teams.

Lol;
Ben Boulware was also 6’1 225, played on a stacked def, and coached by one of, if not thee best DC in CFB.

We can’t keep comparing what program A had v. what we have; it’s not a fair comparison. The type of def this staff runs puts a lot of pressure on the LBs, it’s an all risk type of def, so if the line or the blitz don’t get home, ur LBs r left booty naked. With Flagg, as I mentioned, he’s a coached up kid, no doubt but he’s not a fluid, natural LB that’s going to be a difference maker. It will be a much more watered down Quarterman....I’m talking about Taco Tuesday Tequila shots, watered down.

I’ve watched him play enough to know at the next level, he will get ate alive. There’s a reason 247 has him listed as the 78th best ILB and 1,876 best player and it’s not just b/c he’s 5’10 (closer to 5’9), it’s b/c he has fluidity & hip flip issues, and we don’t have a staff or scheme that will hide/correct this.

The defense puts pressure on the safeties, not LBs. LBs are free to leave their gap to make a play, hence why the play recognition and instincts of Flagg could thrive here.

We sacrifice chunk plays looking for TFL, sacks, turnovers.

The safeties have to clean up any mistakes made by the front end.

Advertisement
Lol;

As other posters have commented, more than half the game at LB is your ability to read and react.

I've never seen Flagg play, so I've no idea how good he is at that, but the cliche that the first yard is in your head is especially true at LB.

For all the plaudits Quarterman has received, he doesn't read the game very well in my opinion. He often shoots the wrong gap.

Bad athletes don’t run 4.4 shuttles with 30+ VJ at 223 pounds.

If he shaves off just .1 in college, as many do, he will be in the same forty range Perryman and Beason ran at the combine.

Beason ran a 4.72, so he'd have to knock of 0.2 for that. Guys improve but that's a big jump....unless he has terrible technique off the start. That's the one thing we can't tell by posted numbers......how skills is he off the start for testing.

Beason ran a 4.72, so he'd have to knock of 0.2 for that. Guys improve but that's a big jump....unless he has terrible technique off the start. That's the one thing we can't tell by posted numbers......how skills is he off the start for testing.

I got him at 4.78 from this website. Perryman was 4.79.

The defense puts pressure on the safeties, not LBs. LBs are free to leave their gap to make a play, hence why the play recognition and instincts of Flagg could thrive here.

We sacrifice chunk plays looking for TFL, sacks, turnovers.

The safeties have to clean up any mistakes made by the front end.

Our LBs are put at risk in space a lot with all the blitzing. That's my only concern. We've seen it with Shaq and Pinck. The VT game is a perfect example. If we have a slower instinctive run mauler inside, we need to surround that guy with speed and protect his deficiencies. Our coaches tend to NOT call plays and formations to our individual player strengths. It seems they force guys to fit instead of tweaking.

Advertisement
Back