Corey Flagg

The defense puts pressure on the safeties, not LBs. LBs are free to leave their gap to make a play, hence why the play recognition and instincts of Flagg could thrive here.

We sacrifice chunk plays looking for TFL, sacks, turnovers.

The safeties have to clean up any mistakes made by the front end.

I somewhat agree regarding this; but I’m referring to our LBs left out in coverage. We took McCloud off the field for a reason; we needed more speed on the field b/c, if u recall, in 2017-18, RBs were running wild out the back field, and those slant were death by a thousand cuts.

Advertisement
As other posters have commented, more than half the game at LB is your ability to read and react.

I've never seen Flagg play, so I've no idea how good he is at that, but the cliche that the first yard is in your head is especially true at LB.

For all the plaudits Quarterman has received, he doesn't read the game very well in my opinion. He often shoots the wrong gap.

The last statement is very true, and I’m not sure how that happened from his Fr year to now. But u’re absolutely correct.

Advertisement
Bad athletes don’t run 4.4 shuttles with 30+ VJ at 223 pounds.

If he shaves off just .1 in college, as many do, he will be in the same forty range Perryman and Beason ran at the combine.
Those numbers are very similar to boulware at clemson. Beason and perryman also ran those 40s at 240. But like i said earlier my concern with him is in space.

Our LBs are put at risk in space a lot with all the blitzing. That's my only concern. We've seen it with Shaq and Pinck. The VT game is a perfect example. If we have a slower instinctive run mauler inside, we need to surround that guy with speed and protect his deficiencies. Our coaches tend to NOT call plays and formations to our individual player strengths. It seems they force guys to fit instead of tweaking.

All I can say is:

1. If he's our 'worst' prospect we sign this year, we did really well at LB. I see a side line to side line player with speed to cover ground in passing lanes

2. His testing numbers are more than a year old. His shuttle and VJ were solid and that's your sign of explosiveness. 40 is a lot of technique, who knows how much he practices it

3. He played some safety this year and looked fine. This seems to go directly against the 'bad hips' 'plodder' narratives

I'm in no way crowning Flagg but the criticism is way overblown. If he were our top LB in the class then we might a problem. Thread after thread whining about a 4th LB take from the top program in Texas with insane production and a fine athletic profile is getting pretty **** old, even for CIS standards.

Advertisement
If a LB can read and fill u don’t need speed! Speed always helps. But Flagg can be legit hear if his instincts are as good as they seem. I want speed every where as much has the next guy but I’m not gonna knock a LB for being slow if he can diagnosis plays fast and therefore he plays fast

All I can say is:

1. If he's our 'worst' prospect we sign this year, we did really well at LB. I see a side line to side line player with speed to cover ground in passing lanes

2. His testing numbers are more than a year old. His shuttle and VJ were solid and that's your sign of explosiveness. 40 is a lot of technique, who knows how much he practices it

3. He played some safety this year and looked fine. This seems to go directly against the 'bad hips' 'plodder' narratives

I'm in no way crowning Flagg but the criticism is way overblown. If he were our top LB in the class then we might a problem. Thread after thread whining about a 4th LB take from the top program in Texas with insane production and a fine athletic profile is getting pretty **** old, even for CIS standards.

I think he will be just fine here. Some posters are just not looking at film and production.

All I can say is:

His testing numbers are from this year. And his highlights dont dispell the concerns. Most of his highlights he is coming down hill and that isn't the question people have about him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
As much as the staff loves him I’d bet a lot he’ll be in the rotation by year two. With a lot of st’s

We definitely need to rotate LBs more in the future. Shaq and Pinck have looked gassed at times without any rest but don't take plays off. With all the uptempo and plays, guys need a few plays rest here and there to stay fresh.

Props to Feeley though. We have real good conditioning as a team.

Advertisement
he plays tough.his speed worries me but you cant always go by offer sheets because i think olsen pierre and thurston ambrister have played in more nfl games than keith bryant and matthew thomas.

Olsen and Thurston collected nfl checks this year

This is before college s&c, he will be just fine here like others have said 40 is a ton of technique. I would be more worried if his shuttle was slow but he has explosive numbers where they matter. He's always around the ball. If he can get to his gap on time and not miss tackles im good

Advertisement
Back