Context for Aug. 24 - QB Advantage Isn't Clear Cut & Other Notes

He's ****ed because we don't have a true freshman kicker booming 50 yard FGs like he's Justin Tucker.

There were 2 kickers drafted last year. DRAFTED. We're talking the best of the absolute best, obviously. Only 2 were selected in the draft.

One is the kid from Utah who went to Tampa....he was 7-10 from 40-49 yards, and 3-5 from 50+, which, to any sane person, is amazing for a college kicker. Except this lunatic, who thinks *ANY* scholarship kicker should make 75%+ from 40+. But guys who get drafted don't even do that. Our true freshman should though, or else he sucks.

The other was the Oklahoma kicker who went to Cleveland....wanna know how many kicks he made over 40 yards? One. He was 1-1, and 0-1 from 50+. He was also OU's kicker for 4 years. His freshman year, he made 78% of his kicks (18/23). His sophomore year, he made 69% of his kicks (11/16). So a kid who was drafted as one of only 2 kickers in the entire country, for his first 2 years combined, made 74% of his FGs. Bubba Baxa made 75% of his as a true freshman.

And, just since I'm bored and enjoy how triggered our freshman kicker has gotten you, the OU kicker (Austin Seibert, by the way), was 7/11 on FGs between 30-39 yards his freshman year....you know, the ones who you say should be as automatic as extra points. A kid who was drafted to kick field goals in the National Football League made less than 70% of his "automatic" kicks as a freshman at OU. But our freshman kicker, who made 75% of *ALL* his kicks.....he's a liability and should have his scholarship revoked lol. You should've went back to work like I told you to hours ago.

Boom!!

Advertisement
sounds like only thing you play is the skin flute

You made your argument and lost. Dont resort to childish comebacks because it makes you look petty. We get how you feel about Baxa. When he costs us a game then feel free to come back and gloat and say I told you so, but fact remains he wasn't the major problem from last year

You made your argument and lost. Dont resort to childish comebacks because it makes you look petty. We get how you feel about Baxa. When he costs us a game then feel free to come back and gloat and say I told you so, but fact remains he wasn't the major problem from last year

Can lose an option based argument with no facts other then baxa is less then average. Guy ducked every question I asked him about what makes him know kickers, and kept pushing his agenda. I asked him if he ever played competitive sports? Taking shots at soccer and my family is childish and petty, just eventually went to his level. I don’t have to say I told you so down the line, that is childish.

I hope Baxa can change my opinion but takes results not showing me someone else’s stats who can kick the ball 20 yards further then Baxa. Just want the canes to win and below average play won’t get that done at every position not just kicker.

Last edited:
Dunno if it’s been mentioned... probably has, but I’ll say it anyway.....

UF has no film of the offense they’re gonna face in August. No tendencies to exploit and no defensive packages to combat Miami’s strengths. Whatever they prepare will be based on what Enos did with a different rooster, and what the rooster did with a different coach, scheme and philosophy.

That’s gotta be worth something, and I think will outweigh whatever first game bugs are going to need working out.

That is not good. Lol. How many 50 yard field goals did we pass up last year bc he doesn’t have the distance? The world isn’t black and white look at the context in between. Coaches didn’t trust him and he can’t kick far. You realize we only have so many players we can take in a year and taking a punter was more of a concern then the PK for good reason. Assumptions get you in trouble and homie trying to call me out is doing a **** ton of assuming and also is okay with mediocrity. No one should be okay with middle of the pack. We are the U.
Don’t think 50+ yard field goals attempted is a measure that should be used to evaluate an NFL kicker, let alone a college freshman. Those are low percentage kicks at any level.

Advertisement
Uf fans read that and I believe they can only argue at the WR point. Everything else I feel is spot on and not biased
That’s not true on many levels. There’s no way UF has more talent at WR. UF fans are delusional most say they have better TE talent. It’s laughable. UF has a bunch of transplant WRs and underachievers. UM has guys UF dreams about in Pope and Payton. Anyone with half a brain takes JT4 over any WR on their roster. You add Osborn to the mix who’s a proven D1 talent and who’s starting here from UF? The transplant Grimes who we told to kick rocks?

Let’s not get in a ****ing match over Justin tucker bc he can do more then kick the ball far. Do you also knit pick employees bc they make an accurate statement. I doubt your actually the boss of anyone but even if you are your employees probably think your an *******. Is that you Hugh Jackson?

Totally off topic, but this is a perfect example of a dysfunctional coaching staff...which is what we had on offense last year.

Tod Haley was literally undermining the head coach, over bullshlt, and trying to usurp his moral authority...and doing it boldly.

If I were Hue Jackson...I would have fired Haley immediately after this meeting. I promise you Haley probably spent a good part of that season undermining Jackson.

Totally off topic, but this is a perfect example of a dysfunctional coaching staff...which is what we had on offense last year.

Tod Haley was literally undermining the head coach, over bullshlt, and trying to usurp his moral authority...and doing it boldly.

If I were Hue Jackson...I would have fired Haley immediately after this meeting. I promise you Haley probably spent a good part of that season undermining Jackson.

I agree and disagree with this. Todd Hayley came from a winning culture so I think his opinion is somewhat warranted when Hugh hadn’t won a game in two years. Hugh also undermines everyone else’s opinion in that room saying “I’m the boss and what you say doesn’t really matter”.

Todd Hayley is a known hothead and got in multiple arguments with the Pitt coaching staff as well over small stuff. It would be hard to take anything he says as not trying to engage, undermine, and run the show(I think he knew Hugh was a dead man walking and tried to set himself up to be head coach). Didn’t Hugh eventually fire him? But talking how he did to Freddy kitchens and now kitchens is the head coach is kinda funny. That Hugh wouldn’t consider change after two years of not winning is kinda egotistical. Think Richt has same problem and why he eventually stepped down.

How bad and predictable our offense was last year someone had to call Richt out. I don’t have any insight into last years coaching staff like that but Manny, Hartley, dugans, anyone has to tell Richt we are losing games because this basic offense. If nothing is said then nothing is going to change. It takes balls to stand up to your boss when they are wrong but you can’t get so emotional about it and have to do it the right way probably more in private.

Advertisement
Don’t think 50+ yard field goals attempted is a measure that should be used to evaluate an NFL kicker, let alone a college freshman. Those are low percentage kicks at any level.

Every nfl kicker can kick a 50 yard field goal. I promise it is in the formula for grading kickers. But our coaching staff has to trust our kicker to make a long field goal when the game is on the line(or even when it is not). Their actions last year by punting or going for it when we had 50 plus yard field goals on the the table is concerning. He doesn’t have to hit everyone but our coaches need to be confident when they put him out there he has a pretty good chance to make it. The top 30 kickers all attempted and made atleast one. Our kicker needs to be able to do the same. 33% accuracy beyond 40 yards is a huge concern. Small sample size but it is facts.

Sorry I am at work and typed that quickly and made the kid look better. You made my point even more. Do you think of Miami as the 35th ranked school in the country bc seems like most on this board does not. Bubba kicks have NO power. I love the canes but just pointing out facts that he will cost us a game by not being able to kick 40 plus yard field goals consistently. Looks like you stopped reading at pretty much the end but I made my point and thanks for pointing out the shanked kickoffs. I’d say you might want to learn the Miami standard before you start acting like 35th is any kind of achievement. Get a clue....... with that loser mentality golden and Richt are gone my friend and those numbers don’t cut it.

Small sample size to make any real determination. 12 attempts overall and only 3 from 40 and beyond doesn't tell you much. He should get more opportunities this fall.

Every nfl kicker can kick a 50 yard field goal. I promise it is in the formula for grading kickers. But our coaching staff has to trust our kicker to make a long field goal when the game is on the line(or even when it is not). Their actions last year by punting or going for it when we had 50 plus yard field goals on the the table is concerning. He doesn’t have to hit everyone but our coaches need to be confident when they put him out there he has a pretty good chance to make it. The top 30 kickers all attempted and made atleast one. Our kicker needs to be able to do the same. 33% accuracy beyond 40 yards is a huge concern. Small sample size but it is facts.
I get your point. No stat tho exists in a vacuum.....

The strength of our team the last few years was defense, with ST being one of the weaknesses. So, part of the calculus the HC uses to decide whether to stay, punt, or attempt a FG will be how confident he is in his defense.

Richt would’ve been confident in his D, so if he’s looking at a choice between a kick with below 50% success rate, and a 4th and short attempt..... I gotta think he’s gonna lean towards going for the 1st down, knowing that he can count on his D to get the ball back. Especially w a freshmans kicker.

I’m not concerned about the placekicker. He was a young kid w garbage coaching, and still performed better than the offense, the punter, return units etc. You could very well be right tho, he may not be good enough. I just don’t think that one stat is useful in determining that.

Also... yes, every nfl kicker can hit a 50 yarder. But this isn’t the NFL.

Dunno if it’s been mentioned... probably has, but I’ll say it anyway.....

UF has no film of the offense they’re gonna face in August. No tendencies to exploit and no defensive packages to combat Miami’s strengths. Whatever they prepare will be based on what Enos did with a different rooster, and what the rooster did with a different coach, scheme and philosophy.

That’s gotta be worth something, and I think will outweigh whatever first game bugs are going to need working out.

Couple that with Grantham leaning on the aggressive side and we may be able to get quite a few big plays, especially early.

Advertisement
To argue Baxa cost us games last year over the offensive and punting woes is ludicrous at best argument. When Manolo looked at his list of things to fix immediately, kicking 50+yd field goals wasn’t at the top of the list, I can guarantee it. We had so much disfunction on offense and the other elements of special teams for him to have it anywhere near the top.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back