Context for Aug. 24 - QB Advantage Isn't Clear Cut & Other Notes

Baxa is a huge liability and will end up costing us a game. I said this by just watching him kick all last year. He has no power and no confidence(I did not draw this conclusion from the game in the rain). So I dug deeper. He was 9/19 in his highschool career(4/10 his senior year). It says he can kick a 55 yard field goal but I just don’t see it bc he can barley kick off a tee with no pressure 60 yards. Last year he had 49/63 touchbacks(our kicker should have a touchback every kick). He also had 3 attempts from 40+ and missed two of them. If we are inside the 30 yard line we should kick field goals with ease and that is not even close to the case. Call in a woman soccer player to give him some competition or maybe the Australian juggernaut can kick field goals too.

If you're going to post like this (aka cry), at least be factual.

Baxa was 41/69 on touchbacks.....that's 59.4%. That was good for 35th in the country as a true freshman. I also stopped reading when you said our kicker should have a touchback on every kick....there were 9 kickers in the entire country who had over 75% touchbacks. There were 0 who had 90% touchbacks. Get a clue.

If there was a real knock on Bubba, it was his 4 kickoffs out of bounds. That is inexcusable.

Advertisement
Objectively UF is the favorite to win on Aug. 24, but not by much. That early -7.5 line that's been put out is going to change a lot before kickoff. There are three crucial facets to this game that will determine who wins. They are QB play, line play, and which team will have more skill players that break out. Starting at the QB position, a lot of people are vastly overrating how good Felipe Franks is and how he performed last year. There's been a lot of talk about UF having a clear QB advantage over us, but I wouldn't be so quick to make that claim. On the surface, people look at Franks and think there was a massive improvement from the 2017 season to the 2018 season. Here are his main stats for both years.

Year
Comp.
Attempts
Comp. %
Yards
Avg. Per Pass
TD's
INT's
QB Rating
2018​
188​
322​
58.4%​
2,457​
7.6​
24​
6​
143.3​
2017​
125​
229​
54.6%​
1,438​
6.3​
9​
8​
113.3​

Looks pretty good right? From 2017 to 2018 there are some big differences in the stat line. Comparatively, Franks threw 45% more passes, had 71% more yards passed overall, less int's, a better QB rating, and a 21% increase in his avg. yd's per pass. Mullen's scheme put him in a better position than 2017, and Mullen's QB development is better than McElwain's by far. But, if you take a closer look at Franks "improved" stats, you'll see that they're majorly inflated by playing bad competition and that he struggled against even subpar teams. Below is Frank's 2018 stat line versus above .500 teams and against below .500/D2 teams.

Type of Team
Comp.
Attempts
Comp. %
Yards
Avg. Per Pass
TD's
INT's
QB Rating
Above .500 Teams​

101​
183​
55.2%​
1,135​
6.2​
6​
4​
75.74​
Below .500/D2 Teams​
87​
139​
62.6%​
1,322​
9.5​
18​
2​
127.45​

Overall, you can see that when playing above .500 teams (which included UK, Miss. St., LSU, UGA, Mizzou, USC, and U Mich.) Franks had 32% more attempts but had a 7.4% lower comp. %, only 46% of his overall yards passed against these teams, 67% less TD's, more INT's, and a 41% lower QB rating. To his credit, he was not an INT prone QB last year and was smart with the ball. Nevertheless, he only passed for more than 200 yards in 6 games, of which 4 were against below .500 teams. In 7 games he threw for less than 180 yards, and against UGA and Mizzou he threw for 105 yards and 84 yards a piece.

Franks has the edge with experience, having played in 25 games over the course of his career. During his two years of play though, he's proven to be a below average-average QB against teams above .500. Against teams with a Top 25 defense, he's struggled to make an impact. While our 3 QB's have little game time experience (particularly Tate and Jarren), Franks has the added advantage of playing time and an inflated stat line. You could say Franks is the better QB on playing time alone, but that would ignore his stat line against teams with a pulse. I know it's old and not relevant to Aug. 24, but I remember people saying in 2013 how Jeff Driskell was the clearly better QB than Stephen Morris. Driskell also had an inflated stat line, and he played like hot garbage against us.

There's always the possibility that if Franks doesn't deliver, Mullen could bring in Emory Jones to change up his offense. Jones though doesn't have much game time experience (similar experience to some of our QB's) and he hasn't been able to beat out Franks outright over two years. While UF has a very slight advantage at QB because of Frank's in-game experience, don't be surprised if our starting QB plays better than Franks, and if he struggles big time because of our front 7. If Tate/N'Kosi/Jarren play better than Franks/Emory, we're winning this game.

Other Notes

• The OL advantage is a wash for both teams, at least in a direct comparison. UF's replacing 4 of their starters from last year's team, and we're trying to figure out which 5 of our guys are worth starting. Scheme-wise, our OL will benefit from Enos' offense, a big FB in Realus, and a mobile QB.

• UF will have a solid front seven, but it won't be better than ours. We've got 3 senior and game tested LB's starting, a front four including Garvin, Hill, Nesta, Rousseau, and a number of solid rotational players. While we're losing Gerald Willis, no doubt our #1 player on the line last year, UF is losing Polite, Joseph, and a few rotational guys. They'll have an advantage in the secondary, with us losing Redwine and JJ4. If our front 7 plays to their potential, UF is going to be a one-dimensional offense. The same will be said if their front 7 play lights out. Of both, with the added advantage of in-game film and depth, we're better positioned.

• We have a massive advantage at TE, and it isn't even close. UF's TE's did absolutely nothing last year for their offense, and Kyle Pitts (the guy who they keep saying is better than Mallory and Brevin) had 52 yards of his overall 73 yards on one TD catch against Idaho. We've got proven playmakers at this position, they don't. Simple as that.

• At WR, both teams have talented but inexperienced guys. At the top of the depth chart, we've got the advantage here. Our top-2 receivers (right now) are Jeff Thomas and KJ Osborn. UF's top-2 receivers are Van Jefferson and Trevon Grimes. Despite being on the field more and having more opportunities to make plays, Jeff Thomas outperformed Jefferson and Grimes. He had more yards per catch, more TD's than Grimes, and more yards overall than both. KJ Osborn beat out everyone with a big stat line (though against worse competition). JT4 barely got on the field and still outperformed these guys. While UF has some talented guys behind Jefferson and Grimes, as we do, it doesn't make sense for their fans to say they have an advantage at WR. Clearly, at the top, we have the advantage.

• Last Year, Jordan Scarlett and Lamical Perrine split reps, meaning that neither was going to stand out. With Scarlet gone, Perrine and sophomore RB Daemeon Pierce are going to be their 1-2 tandem. Perrine is a solid RB and will be a big problem for us if he gets going. Pierce is a more inexperienced guy but is a good prospect with some in-game experience. On our side, we've got Deejay, Cam'ron Davis, Lingard (hopefully), and Burns (hopefully). We've got better talent at RB than UF, but it's a wash comparing our top-2 RB's. I don't think either team is going to get much of a running game going on Aug. 24., but we've got a better shot at doing something since UF will be facing our front seven, and they won't have much film on our O.

• Until Hedley can get on the field and prove that he's a major upgrade over Feagles and Spicer, UF has a big advantage in their punting game. Their Punter, Tommy Townsend, is miles above what we've had for the past few years. We just need Hedley to come in and be a big upgrade over the past two years of punting, we don't need him to be better than Townsend. At kicker, Baxa had a decent first year going 9/12 on FG's and 45/46 on XP's. UF doesn't have much of an edge here with their kicker Evan McPherson. Last year he was 17/19 on FG's, and 50/50 on XP's.

• I'd need another thread to do a full analysis of both coaching staffs. At HC, Mullen obviously has an advantage over Manny being that he's been an HC for the better part of a decade. Mullen though has severely underperformed in many high stakes/ranked games, and his teams always regress after a good year. He's a solid coach, but not a world beater. He's been outcoached by guys that Manny will be better than. Our staff needs to figure out how it's going to gel, with UF's staff having coached together over the past season.
Excellent analysis. This game will be decided by turnovers ....

Then why hasn't the best QB in FL been named the outright starter on his own team??
20190530_092313.jpg

IMO qb play will be the deciding factor in game. As of today we do not know who our starting qb will be. Enos will be an upgrade to last years offensive schemes. The key is will our qb be successful in executing our game plan? Point spread of us being 7 1/2 point underdog may be based on gator having a known quantity at qb, and “experts” belief that the qb position at the U is an unknown quantity.
The "experts" and the media knowing that Falafel Franks will be the Gaytors QB, does not make him a better QB. He is still a hot **** that will be flushed down the toilet on 8/24!

The "experts" and the media knowing that Falafel Franks will be the Gaytors QB, does not make him a better QB. He is still a hot **** that will be flushed down the toilet on 8/24!
Yeah franks is not good, was horrible against anybody with a pulse on defense and none of those defenses are like Miami. I dont Know why uf fans are hyping him up like that

Advertisement
Then why hasn't the best QB in FL been named the outright starter on his own team??

Because Manny and Enos are still pushing him. Either that or they are playing a mental strategic game with Mullen by not revealing the starter. I can live with not knowing until the 24th.

If you're going to post like this (aka cry), at least be factual.

Baxa was 41/69 on touchbacks.....that's 59.4%. That was good for 35th in the country as a true freshman. I also stopped reading when you said our kicker should have a touchback on every kick....there were 9 kickers in the entire country who had over 75% touchbacks. There were 0 who had 90% touchbacks. Get a clue.

If there was a real knock on Bubba, it was his 4 kickoffs out of bounds. That is inexcusable.

Sorry I am at work and typed that quickly and made the kid look better. You made my point even more. Do you think of Miami as the 35th ranked school in the country bc seems like most on this board does not. Bubba kicks have NO power. I love the canes but just pointing out facts that he will cost us a game by not being able to kick 40 plus yard field goals consistently. Looks like you stopped reading at pretty much the end but I made my point and thanks for pointing out the shanked kickoffs. I’d say you might want to learn the Miami standard before you start acting like 35th is any kind of achievement. Get a clue....... with that loser mentality golden and Richt are gone my friend and those numbers don’t cut it.

Sorry I am at work and typed that quickly and made the kid look better. You made my point even more. Do you think of Miami as the 35th ranked school in the country bc seems like most on this board does not. Bubba kicks have NO power. I love the canes but just pointing out facts that he will cost us a game by not being able to kick 40 plus yard field goals consistently. Looks like you stopped reading at pretty much the end but I made my point and thanks for pointing out the shanked kickoffs. I’d say you might want to learn the Miami standard before you start acting like 35th is any kind of achievement. Get a clue....... with that loser mentality golden and Richt are gone my friend and those numbers don’t cut it.

As a true freshman, he was fine. Get back to work.

It’s a kicker as a true freshman... you have to start somewhere

Advertisement
There are concerns over our secondary, but as stated in the OP, Franks isn't going to be the guy that exposes them. This game will be low scoring and a defensive slugfest. Whoever wins the QB battle won't need to be a superstar that day, but until we see the reports coming from training camp I won't get near the betting line.

It’s a kicker as a true freshman... you have to start somewhere

As a kicker you either have a leg or you don’t. We are not talking about a true freshman position player learning a playbook. He sucked in highschool and eye test/stats said he sucked last year. 35th in touchbacks 86th in field goal percentage. Not very good.

86th best kicker percentage wise is not fine. No kicks or even attempts over 50 is not going to cut it. Is that you bubba bc not sure how anyone can defend him with those stats or by watching any of his fluttering kicks last year.

You continuing to make stuff up? 86th best kicker percentage wise in what regard? Did the kid bang your old lady or something? There were 1,000 problems on this football team last year, Bubba Baxa was probably 996th.

He missed 3 kicks all year. One was officially blocked (although tipped) against LSU from 45 yards that had PLENTY of leg even with the tip. One was blocked in the Duke game in an absolute monsoon on a field made of soup. And one was against FSU, which was absolutely inexcusable and 1000% cannot happen.

He also drilled his first FG as a true freshman in Jerry's world with the whole world watching.

I just don't get how, in a season with that much **** that made you sick, you'd choose to rant about our true freshman kicker who really wasn't bad at all. Weird hill to die on.

Advertisement
You continuing to make stuff up? 86th best kicker percentage wise in what regard? Did the kid bang your old lady or something? There were 1,000 problems on this football team last year, Bubba Baxa was probably 996th.

He missed 3 kicks all year. One was officially blocked (although tipped) against LSU from 45 yards that had PLENTY of leg even with the tip. One was blocked in the Duke game in an absolute monsoon on a field made of soup. And one was against FSU, which was absolutely inexcusable and 1000% cannot happen.

He also drilled his first FG as a true freshman in Jerry's world with the whole world watching.

I just don't get how, in a season with that much **** that made you sick, you'd choose to rant about our true freshman kicker who really wasn't bad at all. Weird hill to die on.

9/12FGs is 75% which is tied for the 86th best percentage in the nation. Clearly numbers are not your strong suit or you are okay with mediocrity. He kicked a 38 yard field goal I hope he would make that also missed his other attempt in that game. Even if it was tipped a low trajectory on a longer field goal is on the kicker. He has to kick it over the line especially from only 45 yards.

If those are your standards you must have been one of those people who got trophy’s for getting last place as a kid. I want to win and a good kicker is apart of that winning formula.

We had three big issues last year:
1.The incompetence with the QBs and basic approach to the offense by both Richts.
2. Feagles being the worst punter I think I’ve ever seen at any level. The field position disparity in every game was unreal at the college level.
3. Bubba seemed like he was as scared as feagles when he was kicking field goals. He couldn’t kick accurately or far in high school and he couldn’t do either well in his freshman year.

Just average in all three categories and we are playing Clemson in ACC championship. I don’t hate bubba but he hasn’t proved anything other then he can make 30 yard field goals which doesn’t mean anything. Even if we gave him 83% field goals bc of the rain game he still was tied for 41st best which once again won’t cut it for me.

Advertisement
9/12FGs is 75% which is tied for the 86th best percentage in the nation. Clearly numbers are not your strong suit or you are okay with mediocrity. He kicked a 38 yard field goal I hope he would make that also missed his other attempt in that game. Even if it was tipped a low trajectory on a longer field goal is on the kicker. He has to kick it over the line especially from only 45 yards.

If those are your standards you must have been one of those people who got trophy’s for getting last place as a kid. I want to win and a good kicker is apart of that winning formula.

We had three big issues last year:
1.The incompetence with the QBs and basic approach to the offense by both Richts.
2. Feagles being the worst punter I think I’ve ever seen at any level. The field position disparity in every game was unreal at the college level.
3. Bubba seemed like he was as scared as feagles when he was kicking field goals. He couldn’t kick accurately or far in high school and he couldn’t do either well in his freshman year.

Just average in all three categories and we are playing Clemson in ACC championship. I don’t hate bubba but he hasn’t proved anything other then he can make 30 yard field goals which doesn’t mean anything. Even if we gave him 83% field goals bc of the rain game he still was tied for 41st best which once again won’t cut it for me.

Are you getting your stats from a coloring book? 75% field goals is 54th in the country. He missed 3 all year. What in the world are you crying about? He missed ONE kick that mattered. FSU. One.

You have literally done nothing in this entire thread except spew stats which have ALL been incorrect. Literally every single one. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And you're crying about a missed 45 yarder. Do you have any clue what the national average is on 45 yard FGs from college kickers? How bout true freshmen college kickers? This is seriously bizarre....this kid had to have ****ed your daughter and never called her again.

Are you getting your stats from a coloring book? 75% field goals is 54th in the country. He missed 3 all year. What in the world are you crying about? He missed ONE kick that mattered. FSU. One.

You have literally done nothing in this entire thread except spew stats which have ALL been incorrect. Literally every single one. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And you're crying about a missed 45 yarder. Do you have any clue what the national average is on 45 yard FGs from college kickers? How bout true freshmen college kickers? This is seriously bizarre....this kid had to have ****ed your daughter and never called her again.

Thank you for correcting this fool lol.

75% is tied for number 86 kicker. I guess reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit either. The only person spewing bull**** is you. Also considering I’m only 30 if that kid ****ed my daughter he would probably be in jail.

I don’t care about the national average we want to be the best team in the country and that is a kick you have to make consistently in a big game. What do you know about kicking? Sounds like absolutely nothing but trying to be an internet tuff guy. Only one stat was incorrect bc I had a typo that made him look BETTER. Have you ever played a sport or been on a competitive team bc sounds like you are just fine with being middle of the pack or worse. I played soccer my whole life and I’ve been in my fair share of pressure situations when it comes to sports. I know kicking and that after his freshman year that kid doesn’t look even close to average.

Advertisement
Back