MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
So, the head of NBC Sports is a ND alum? And people think the ACC self-dealing is problematic...

Here's a question for Mr. Bevacqua...

Is his former employer willing to pay his current employer anywhere from 3 to 5 times the current broadcast price FOR SEVEN GAMES in order to insure that Notre Dame remains "different"?

I don't mind if Notre Dame is "different", as long as that means they are also "poor".

Not tied to this post but thanks for crushing this thread with info, facts, etc. I've followed recruiting for over 15 years but have never felt so invested in a thread like this one or a thing happening to the program like this one with trying to get into one of the the soon to be Power 2. Losing recruits and even coaches etc can be overcome but man I have anxiety about missing out on one of the Power 2 haha. At least glad all indications for us are positive. I consider myself a patient person but this realignment stuff can just be announced yesterday already.

Advertisement
It’s like it’s the Rose Bowl every week. How thrilling.

Yes, let's get us some of that and join the BIG. I'm kidding, but I do like the tradition aspect of what they've put together.

I wouldn't mind seeing us against OSU, Michigan, and USC. After that, it's Wiscy and Nebraska for nostalgia, I guess. PSU, I don't really care either way.

SEC matchups to me have more appeal. Bama, Georgia, LSU, and UF. Adding Texas and OU. Tennessee, A&M, and Auburn, they'd be fun as well.

Just top to bottom there's more to be excited about with the SEC, at least IMO.

Yes, let's get us some of that and join the BIG. I'm kidding, but I do like the tradition aspect of what they've put together.

I wouldn't mind seeing us against OSU, Michigan, and USC. After that, it's Wiscy and Nebraska for nostalgia, I guess. PSU, I don't really care either way.

SEC matchups to me have more appeal. Bama, Georgia, LSU, and UF. Adding Texas and OU. Tennessee, A&M, and Auburn, they'd be fun as well.

Just top to bottom there's more to be excited about with the SEC, at least IMO.
There's no right or wrong answer in here as things like "excitement" are purely subjective but I do think on balance that a B1G move would generate higher home attendance and bigger national TV rankings. The alumni bases in that conference still dwarf the SEC (even with the addition of Texas) as do/will the tv markets.

Again, away fans coming to our games ain't exactly my biggest priority but would you agree that on paper a matchup at Hard Rock vs Pedo State and vs Tennessee would be kind of equivalent on paper?

Which one do you think would get the bigger overall crowd if everything is equal (their rank/our rank/etc)? The bigger TV ratings?

I expect it to be announced in due time that we are leaving the ACC and will join the Big10 in 2026. stay tuned.
I was going to say "later negotiated to a 2025 arrival" but I think 2026 actually sounds right as this is setting up to be the most massive conference expansion/realignment if everything hinges upon the death of the ACC.

Advertisement
There's no right or wrong answer in here as things like "excitement" are purely subjective but I do think on balance that a B1G move would generate higher home attendance and bigger national TV rankings. The alumni bases in that conference still dwarf the SEC (even with the addition of Texas) as do/will the tv markets.

Again, away fans coming to our games ain't exactly my biggest priority but would you agree that on paper a matchup at Hard Rock vs Pedo State and vs Tennessee would be kind of equivalent on paper?

Which one do you think would get the bigger overall crowd if everything is equal (their rank/our rank/etc)? The bigger TV ratings?

While it's hard to say decisively which would generate higher home attendance, it's clear it would be close. If both were ranked or decent then it becomes a more valuable ticket. Good teams tend to travel better.

I still think people keep confusing television markets versus who is going to tune in. If you don't follow a college football team, you're not likely to tune in. So essentially that big old alumni base potentially doesn't mean as much as it used to. Now that regional doesn't mean what it used to, you're looking for viewers.

The SEC has more viewers. It has more people tuned in. At least according to this article.

I think we'd do fine with PSU or UT in town. We did when the Vols came last time. Strictly by the numbers, it appears PSU would have more eyes. Top to bottom though, you get more eyes with the SEC over the course of time.

I was going to say "later negotiated to a 2025 arrival" but I think 2026 actually sounds right as this is setting up to be the most massive conference expansion/realignment if everything hinges upon the death of the ACC.
The back room discussions must be crazy at this point. They have to be pressuring UNC / UVA to make "their" decision ... Big or SEC. Once that is done then the Big 10 and SEC can make their decisions ... and the Big 12 can pull possibly as many as 4 remainders. That could result in homes for as many as 12 ACC members. That would in fact be "massive" realignment. BC and Wake end up in Conference USA or some such conference.

The back room discussions must be crazy at this point. They have to be pressuring UNC / UVA to make "their" decision ... Big or SEC. Once that is done then the Big 10 and SEC can make their decisions ... and the Big 12 can pull possibly as many as 4 remainders. That could result in homes for as many as 12 ACC members. That would in fact be "massive" realignment. BC and Wake end up in Conference USA or some such conference.

Or AAC could take them

I expect it to be announced in due time that we are leaving the ACC and will join the Big10 in 2026. stay tuned.

Napoleon Dynamite GIF

Advertisement

Yea I think Penn State vs Tennessee excitement/attendance would be close. Penn State, however, is pretty objectively the 4th biggest “name” in the B1G (including USC as ahead of them). I think after Penn State, there’s a pretty big drop off in terms of name brand. I guess Wisconsin is next, but after that big drop off.

When you add OU and Texas, Tennessee is at best, like the 6th biggest name? Realistically 7th-8th. SEC just has a lot more depth in terms of big name programs that would draw people in, imo, especially in SoFla.

FWIW I would prefer SEC, but either is great. We’re currently driving an old minivan and we would be upgrading to a new BMW or new Benz. I like BMW, personally, but of course I’d be stoked with either.

Advertisement
One thing about this realignment of stuff is that a lot of historically good teams won't be anywhere near as good in the future. It's going to be a dog eat dog world with some big schools joining the middle of the pack. Good years for most will be 8 or 9 wins.
Agreed, and it’s something that’s not talked about enough imo. A conference full of heavy hitters will just cannibalize themselves. You have to have some doormats to pump up the records. That’s why I think the idea of 2 super conferences is just talk. There has to be at least 3 to keep records inflated.

Advertisement
Back