MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement

This guys saying for B10, the rankings among ACC schools is:

1. Miami
2. FSU
3. Clemson

4. VTech

5. UNC
6. Louisville
7. GTech

Based on Fanbase, Brand, Academics, TV Ratings, market, and athletic success (football and basketball).

If the decision was ONLY based on those current dollar amounts, that might be true. But it's not.

I was on my lunch break just now and was bored so I started working on some possible realignment scenarios. Once you start looking at the teams, I do not see how the ACC makes it out of this alive (which is well known). As well, Power 3 makes more sense than Power 4. At some point the Pac 10 and Big 12 are going to need to join up. I ran four possible scenarios. Obviously they are not perfect as I spent maybe 30 minutes, if that, on them. Teams highlighted in yellow are from G5

Scenario #1 "Power 5" - Conservative: Expansion stops due to high buyouts, ND holding things up etc.
View attachment 196222

Scenario #2 "Power 3" - Scenario I see most likely happening. Could easily sub Memphis and SMU for San Diego St and UNLV. I put in UNLV and San Diego St because they both are in attractive TV markets and play in new stadiums.
View attachment 196224

Scenario #3 "Power 4"
View attachment 196225

Scenario # 4 "Power 3 #2" - Notre Dame remains independent and schools in the same state are forced to move conferences together like Oregon and Oregon State which has been rumored as a possible hiccup.

View attachment 196228

Wanted to bump this with rumors of Colorado heading to the big 12 and SMU and San Diego state heading to the pac 12. I still think it’s inevitable that the pac 12 and Big 12 merge and ACC gets absorbed by the remaining power 3. Looks like scenario 1 to scenario 3 to scenario 2 is going to play out.

Curious when UNLV will start getting attention and if Boise State will get any love

Advertisement
The comments mention the number of Big 10 Alums LIVING in Florida (135K) but it doesn't mention the huge number of Big 10 Snow Birds that show up in October and are in Florida for the peak college football season (Oct, Nov, Dec). That number has to dwarf the "alums living in Florida" number by a very large %.

Yes, particularly in SW Florida.

Advertisement
I lived in Naples for 18 years between 1984-2002. Watched that number multiply astoundingly.

People in other parts of Florida can't fathom this, they never see it.

All the car carriers showing up over a couple of weeks. The explosion of human numbers. The extra traffic.

I lived down there from about 2003-2008. I remember being told that the Carrabba's on 41 just south of Pine Ridge was the busiest one in the country (during snowbird season). Crazy.

All the car carriers showing up over a couple of weeks. The explosion of human numbers. The extra traffic.

I lived down there from about 2003-2008. I remember being told that the Carrabba's on 41 just south of Pine Ridge was the busiest one in the country (during snowbird season). Crazy.

Crazy that I lived in Naples same time as you and Midlo

Is the penalty owed when they announce they are leaving the ACC or when they actually leave? If you announce your leaving in ‘26 for the Big10 and the $ is owed when you actually leave, what are the odds the ACC still exists to collect? I fell like when one goes, the dominos begin to fall everywhere and the ACC dissolves.

Advertisement
Wonder where he got that enrollment number.

Miami of Ohio is right around that number. We're in the 12 to 13k range with graduate students included.
I’m not shocked but you’re completely wrong.

or Miami doesn’t know their own students. 🤷‍♂️

sauces- UM (aka miami of Florida)

IMG_6604.png

Advertisement

My in-laws had a timeshare at Ft. Myers Beach every November and the number of Big 10 fans was amazing. In general, Tampa to Naples is Big 10 snowbird land. Florida East Coast is NY/Mass/NJ/PA/Canada snowbird land.

P.S. I hope the recovery in Ft. Myers Beach is going well. The timeshare basically washed away from last year's hurricane. A lot of really good people affected.

My in-laws had a timeshare at Ft. Myers Beach every November and the number of Big 10 fans was amazing. In general, Tampa to Naples is Big 10 snowbird land. Florida East Coast is NY/Mass/NJ/PA/Canada snowbird land.

P.S. I hope the recovery in Ft. Myers Beach is going well. The timeshare basically washed away from last year's hurricane. A lot of really good people affected.

100%

They certainly love their Gulf side, that's for sure. It's like they want a giant bath tub instead of some waves.

Another popular area is the Redneck Riviera stretching from north FL over to Alabama. Two weeks from now I'm going with my Wife and her side of the family to Gulf Shores. We went 9 years ago and it's the one beach place I never wanted to return to, nor her, but that wasn't a consideration. We'll make the best of it though.

Is the penalty owed when they announce they are leaving the ACC or when they actually leave? If you announce your leaving in ‘26 for the Big10 and the $ is owed when you actually leave, what are the odds the ACC still exists to collect? I fell like when one goes, the dominos begin to fall everywhere and the ACC dissolves.
"One" is not going to go, just hoping "the dominos begin to fall". There is a reason that the "Magnificent Seven" AD's and others are working together. There is a lot of synchronization that needs to take place between the current ACC conference members wanting out, and the three primary conferences that will provide landing spots. Major decisions have to be made by each conference (Big 10, SEC, Big 12) regarding their next expansion goal (20 or 24 teams?). I personally don't believe the ACC AD's are content with just finding landing spots for the 8 teams required to dissolve the conference. I believe it makes sense for them to firm up landing spots for as many ACC programs as possible, for the good of each conference member, as well as to limit the possibility of any litigation from disgruntled ACC members. People are hinting at major expansion taking place. Imagine if the AD's working in conjunction can get commitments for as many as 10-12 ACC programs, 12 being ideal (4 to the Big 10, 4 to the SEC and 4 to the Big 12). A lot of moving parts that require a major degree of synchronization. Would be tremendous if an announcement would take place some time in 2023 for teams to commence playing in the new conferences in 2026. 12 members vote to dissolve the ACC effective 12/31/2025, conference goes away and the GOR ceases to be a binding instrument.

100%

They certainly love their Gulf side, that's for sure. It's like they want a giant bath tub instead of some waves.

Another popular area is the Redneck Riviera stretching from north FL over to Alabama. Two weeks from now I'm going with my Wife and her side of the family to Gulf Shores. We went 9 years ago and it's the one beach place I never wanted to return to, nor her, but that wasn't a consideration. We'll make the best of it though.
It’s no longer the Redneck Riviera. People that used to go to Sea Island or Jekyll Island go to 30A now. Beautiful beaches, warm water, no seaweed, great seafood.

Advertisement
Back