MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Is the penalty owed when they announce they are leaving the ACC or when they actually leave? If you announce your leaving in ‘26 for the Big10 and the $ is owed when you actually leave, what are the odds the ACC still exists to collect? I fell like when one goes, the dominos begin to fall everywhere and the ACC dissolves.
I believe the penalties would come once the departure has occurred and the games are played.

Advertisement
100%

They certainly love their Gulf side, that's for sure. It's like they want a giant bath tub instead of some waves.

Another popular area is the Redneck Riviera stretching from north FL over to Alabama. Two weeks from now I'm going with my Wife and her side of the family to Gulf Shores. We went 9 years ago and it's the one beach place I never wanted to return to, nor her, but that wasn't a consideration. We'll make the best of it though.

Sounds like you’re in for a Floribama great time…

100%

They certainly love their Gulf side, that's for sure. It's like they want a giant bath tub instead of some waves.

Another popular area is the Redneck Riviera stretching from north FL over to Alabama. Two weeks from now I'm going with my Wife and her side of the family to Gulf Shores. We went 9 years ago and it's the one beach place I never wanted to return to, nor her, but that wasn't a consideration. We'll make the best of it though.
"Redneck Riviera" <Chuckle> When I was stationed there in 1987, that applied some, but good luck getting a clean, inexpensive hotel in Destin...

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was in Gulf Shores a year or so ago for a meeting. I didn’t hate it or love it, but it’s just not convenient or great enough to draw me back.

It's really a boring little place with Jack **** to do. I don't get it. It wasn't overly crowded 9 years ago, that's the best I can say. I don't like beaches like that at all. It's mainly that there aren't many dining options and well, waves were non-existent. You can do the usual, rent a sea doo, oarasail, etc, but ****, let us have some 3 footers or even head high chances. Kids love to body board and want to try surfing after our Outer Banks trip. My 5'10 12 year old would be hysterical watching.

It's really a boring little place with Jack **** to do. I don't get it. It wasn't overly crowded 9 years ago, that's the best I can say. I don't like beaches like that at all. It's mainly that there aren't many dining options and well, waves were non-existent. You can do the usual, rent a sea doo, oarasail, etc, but ****, let us have some 3 footers or even head high chances. Kids love to body board and want to try surfing after our Outer Banks trip. My 5'10 12 year old would be hysterical watching.
Agreed. Might as well go to a lake instead.

So, the head of NBC Sports is a ND alum? And people think the ACC self-dealing is problematic...

Here's a question for Mr. Bevacqua...

Is his former employer willing to pay his current employer anywhere from 3 to 5 times the current broadcast price FOR SEVEN GAMES in order to insure that Notre Dame remains "different"?

I don't mind if Notre Dame is "different", as long as that means they are also "poor".

They have something like an $18 billion endowment. Between that and the Church, they just might do things differently and not care the same way the other schools do???

Advertisement
100%

This is not the reason.

Until the late 1980s/early 1990s, there were stretches of both I-95 and I-75 that were unfinished. I-95 from Fort Pierce to Palm Beach Gardens was not finished, though you had the Turnpike as a substitute. On the I-75 side, it ended at Naples, so you had to take Tamiami Trail (US 41) or SR 84 to get to Miami.

East coast people came down 95 and stayed on the east coast. Midwest people came down 75 and stayed on the west coast. Until recently, the east and west sides of Florida were not connected by an interestate or expressway, except for I-4.

This is not the reason.

Until the late 1980s/early 1990s, there were stretches of both I-95 and I-75 that were unfinished. I-95 from Fort Pierce to Palm Beach Gardens was not finished, though you had the Turnpike as a substitute. On the I-75 side, it ended at Naples, so you had to take Tamiami Trail (US 41) or SR 84 to get to Miami.

East coast people came down 95 and stayed on the east coast. Midwest people came down 75 and stayed on the west coast. Until recently, the east and west sides of Florida were not connected by an interestate or expressway, except for I-4.

That absolutely could be part of it. Then again, that side also used to be way cheaper.

In my grandparents time on my father's side before expressways they used to two lane it all the way to Ft. Lauderdale. My grandmother used to love that movie where the boys are because it reminded her of many trips there.

That side of my family wouldn't ever dream of Alabama or the Gulf side. Fort Myers though is the epicenter of Midwest folk. I've been fortunate to have been all over the place. I prefer the OBX and Tybee on the east coast.

Places like VA Beach and Myrtle can kick rocks, I'd still pick it over the Gulf. Even the Jersey Shore has better option, Cape May being a nice option there. Ocean City Maryland isn't bad either.

Is the penalty owed when they announce they are leaving the ACC or when they actually leave? If you announce your leaving in ‘26 for the Big10 and the $ is owed when you actually leave, what are the odds the ACC still exists to collect? I fell like when one goes, the dominos begin to fall everywhere and the ACC dissolves.
Something I hadn't thought about. That'd be a great and fitting scenario. Could it happen 🤔 🤷🏾‍♂️

Notre Dame can think they are going to stay independent if they want with their endowment, however, the two mega-conferences will basically decide for them. They have to join the Big 10. No choice in the matter......why?

When the two megaconferences decide to expand to 24 teams, operate like the NFC vs the AFC and have the Super Bowl of College Football any team outside of those 2 megaconferences is very likely to be locked out of it. They have a choice of joining or being locked out.

Advertisement
Notre Dame can think they are going to stay independent if they want with their endowment, however, the two mega-conferences will basically decide for them. They have to join the Big 10. No choice in the matter......why?

When the two megaconferences decide to expand to 24 teams, operate like the NFC vs the AFC and have the Super Bowl of College Football any team outside of those 2 megaconferences is very likely to be locked out of it. They have a choice of joining or being locked out.
The number of anti-trust lawsuits would be mind-boggling if such a scenario were to occur.

If ND wants to stay independent, they will. They will only join a conference if THEY want to. IMO, it will be due to 2 scenarios:

1. They get tired of having such a large discrepancy in their yearly TV money vs. those in the Big 10 and SEC

or

2. The conferences have to play 9 or even 10 conference games to satisfy the TV programming requirements leading to difficulties in ND getting quality competition to fill their schedule in order to qualify for the yearly playoff.

The number of anti-trust lawsuits would be mind-boggling if such a scenario were to occur.

If ND wants to stay independent, they will. They will only join a conference if THEY want to. IMO, it will be due to 2 scenarios:

1. They get tired of having such a large discrepancy in their yearly TV money vs. those in the Big 10 and SEC

or

2. The conferences have to play 9 or even 10 conference games to satisfy the TV programming requirements leading to difficulties in ND getting quality competition to fill their schedule in order to qualify for the yearly playoff.
Exactly the megaconferences are going to lock them out! Scenario #2 They are going to force them to join. Did you ever think when these megaconferences are formed that they will not figure out a way to make them join. Notre Dame didn't just accidentally join AAU either.

Exactly the megaconferences are going to lock them out! Scenario #2 They are going to force them to join. Did you ever think when these megaconferences are formed that they will not figure out a way to make them join. Notre Dame didn't just accidentally join AAU either.
Nah, I think the conferences decided to become megaconferences in order to get the most money they could get from TV and the most number of their teams in the annual playoff. Yes, having ND join your conference will bring more money. That being said, the Big 10 was able to get $1 billion a year without them.

If ND continues to be stubborn and keep their football independence, I don't think the Big 10 or SEC really cares as long as their schools continue to make $20 - $25 million more each year than ND on their TV deals and get 3, 4, or more teams into the playoff each year.

Advertisement
This is not the reason.

When the family moved to Lehigh in 1979, I-75 was only finished in parts through Fort Myers, US 41 was the main drag. We came from the East Coast, but there was Ohio/Michigan/Indiana plates galore back then (and my Manhattan-born and bred Dad couldn't stand their driving!).

Advertisement
Back