MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Hmm I’m old enough to remember stating that and being told looking at past history was too long ago.

I’m three days old

Yes, but the reality is...there's a difference beween making ONE or two exceptions, and making five exceptions.

Miami and Notre Dame helped themselves tremendously with AAU membership.

And the SEEMING "next up" status of F$U for AAU membership helps as well.

AAU membership is still incredibly important for the Big 10, and Nebraska's history is complicated.

Advertisement
Look, I don't disagree with you in certain regards. Lots of posters want to make Oregon the big don in the Pacific Northwest, but that's just because of Nike and Phil Knight. Washington has the stronger overall resume, and has Seattle as a market as well, which beats out any TV market in Oregon.

I think the same things are true for both of them, though. From the standpoint of most of the rest of the country, they are out of sight and out of mind. Very few people outside of the northwest follow those schools or care about those schools. And while that is harsh, what are we supposed to do about it?

I think it's pretty telling how the Big 10 went from "of course Washington/Oregon are next" to "not so fast, my friend". I just think the numbers for TV are SOOOOO bad compared to east coast teams that it really doesn't matter (for now) about "federal funding" or anything else. It's also telling that USC and UCLA are not really concerned with them or lobbying to get Washington/Oregon.

I've tried to say it multiple times. This is not just a linear "see, we have good ratings in our home market" kind of a situation. You have to look at the synergies at every level, you are no longer arguing "Your markets + My market = an increase".

Washington is a worthy school with minimal east-coast appeal. I think Washington gets in if the Big 10 goes to 24 teams.
They are in at 24 no question.

I don’t think they are in under 20 (there is no 21-23 scenario) unless somehow acc has no shot til truly 2036 of getting out (unlikely to play out that way) and big10 decides to change up dramatically and circle back to what they could have done last year.

People should not assume sec and big10 finalize on same amount of teams. I can totally see big 10 at 24 and sec at 20.

Yes, but the reality is...there's a difference beween making ONE or two exceptions, and making five exceptions.

Miami and Notre Dame helped themselves tremendously with AAU membership.

And the SEEMING "next up" status of F$U for AAU membership helps as well.

AAU membership is still incredibly important for the Big 10, and Nebraska's history is complicated.
I agree on that. I was referring to my assertion that fsu for sure and likely Clemson would both get paths to big 10 without AAU, especially with FSU almost guaranteed to be in it within 5-10 years.

Was not referring to any comment you made on the aau statuses

Pretty sure someone may have said. I aint digging through 300 pages. Do they have any kind of timeline in mind?

In my mind, just the announcement of that 'magnificent 7' earlier, im thinking they may have a resolution before the start of the season.

I'm hoping this moves fast. IIRC, end of June and end of July were the big announcements for B1G & SEC last time around. Really hoping doesn't drag into next Summer.

I'm hoping this moves fast. IIRC, end of June and end of July were the big announcements for B1G & SEC last time around. Really hoping doesn't drag into next Summer.
The only thing that’s definitely on the clock is the Pac 12 because schools like San Diego State and SMU have buyout clauses that go up dramatically if they leave their current conferences after June 30, and then, depending upon whatever crappy PAC 12 TV deal comes together, those schools will have some degree of penalties, though most likely, they will be pretty low because none of them want to sign up for long-term deals there

Advertisement
The only thing that’s definitely on the clock is the Pac 12 because schools like San Diego State and SMU have buyout clauses that go up dramatically if they leave their current conferences after June 30, and then, depending upon whatever crappy PAC 12 TV deal comes together, those schools will have some degree of penalties, though most likely, they will be pretty low because none of them want to sign up for long-term deals there

Right! We possibly could see some Big 12 movement Friday morning after Colorado Board of Regents Special Meeting

Look, I don't disagree with you in certain regards. Lots of posters want to make Oregon the big don in the Pacific Northwest, but that's just because of Nike and Phil Knight. Washington has the stronger overall resume, and has Seattle as a market as well, which beats out any TV market in Oregon.

I think the same things are true for both of them, though. From the standpoint of most of the rest of the country, they are out of sight and out of mind. Very few people outside of the northwest follow those schools or care about those schools. And while that is harsh, what are we supposed to do about it?

I think it's pretty telling how the Big 10 went from "of course Washington/Oregon are next" to "not so fast, my friend". I just think the numbers for TV are SOOOOO bad compared to east coast teams that it really doesn't matter (for now) about "federal funding" or anything else. It's also telling that USC and UCLA are not really concerned with them or lobbying to get Washington/Oregon.

I've tried to say it multiple times. This is not just a linear "see, we have good ratings in our home market" kind of a situation. You have to look at the synergies at every level, you are no longer arguing "Your markets + My market = an increase".

Washington is a worthy school with minimal east-coast appeal. I think Washington gets in if the Big 10 goes to 24 teams.
Thank you again for the detailed reply.

That all makes sense. I do think B1G would have been better off adding USC/Washington or USC/Oregon instead of USC/UCLA. Obviously USC is near ND in terms of program status, so I think they had the leverage to demand their cross town rival be added in a package deal. Thats how I interpreted the UCLA add, a favor to USC more than anything. Maybe I'm incorrect, but just how I assess program strength in UCLA vs Oregon/Washington. USC clearly towers above all of them.

I agree on that. I was referring to my assertion that fsu for sure and likely Clemson would both get paths to big 10 without AAU, especially with FSU almost guaranteed to be in it within 5-10 years.

Was not referring to any comment you made on the aau statuses

Yes, and I tend to agree with that.

Clemson has a history as a land grant ag school. And while they are definitely stronger today, if they really want to get into the academic big-leagues, they must add a Med School. I think that USC has a program in Greenville as well, you'd probably need to figure out a way to have Clemson either take that over or do a joint program.

Without medical research dollars, I think Clemson will have a vary hard time raising its AAU credentials.

Yes, and I tend to agree with that.

Clemson has a history as a land grant ag school. And while they are definitely stronger today, if they really want to get into the academic big-leagues, they must add a Med School. I think that USC has a program in Greenville as well, you'd probably need to figure out a way to have Clemson either take that over or do a joint program.

Without medical research dollars, I think Clemson will have a vary hard time raising its AAU credentials.
That was nebrasksas issue on aau if I recall. Their “medical” wasn’t actually Nebraska- Lincoln.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Greg Flugauer today (Minnesota fan/YouTuber who — ridiculous as it sounds — has covered the realignment happenings as well as any actual "media" out there)

"We think Miami of Florida — and we've said this from Day 1 — is the most likely ACC school to join the Big Ten. They might not be the Big Ten's No. 1 target from the ACC, but they're the most likely school to join the Big Ten from the ACC. We don't think the SEC is gonna go for Miami of Florida. We know the Big Ten and SEC would both love North Carolina for example. So Notre Dame and Miami of Florida (to the Big Ten). Absolutely. Everybody is saying that right now."

LINK: https://twitter.com/flugempire?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Making $90-100M a year in a league with Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, USC and Washington?

Snoop Dogg Yes GIF by ProBit Global
The douche needs to stop saying Miami of Florida.

Advertisement
So, he should say University of Miami every time?

WTF will they say for the first game?

University of Miami - Miami University every time?

Advertisement
Back