Coach Dennis Erickson will be in attendance on Saturday

Advertisement
Butch Davis recruited and evaluated talent for Jimmy's teams - took off every Thursday to visit, evaluate, and recruit.

Even without Butch - Erickson did very well - oh! As Erickson inherited a lot of JJ's recruits - pulled by Butch -

Just like Clappy later used Butch's recruits to win HIS National Championship

Funny how that works out.

Funny how you rewrite history.

Also, it's too bad that Butch couldn't actually coach as well as his fanboys could blow his horn.

Guy inherited a bunch of Erickson's NFL talent and didn't do squat with it.

Couldn’t do squat with it sanctioned to death?

Jimmy Johnson tends to get less criticism than the other coaches. Why? No idea.

I think it has to do with expectations.

There's a reason why Erickson and Coker get the most heat from fans. They inherited expectations that were through the roof.

Jimmy Johnson inherited what many people thought was a one-hit wonder. There wasn't any sustained success until later in his tenure.[/QUOT

What????? We lost game 1 of the 85 season to UF and didnt lose another regular season game until 1988 vs ND. if that isnt sustained success I don't know what is,

Advertisement
The Electricity in the OB in 89 was insane! I loved watching our players come out of the tunnel and start walking right toward ND.

Best crowd of any sporting event that I have ever been to. Notre Dame had no shot.

Without a doubt. The 89 Notre dame game was the greatest sporting ever Ive ever seen live. The crowd was standing and cheering thru every commercial break. It was insane.

I contrast that with the morons sitting behind me at the Va Tech game last weekend, yelling at me to sit down on 1st and 2nd down when the Canes were on D.

The Electricity in the OB in 89 was insane! I loved watching our players come out of the tunnel and start walking right toward ND.

Best crowd of any sporting event that I have ever been to. Notre Dame had no shot.

Without a doubt. The 89 Notre dame game was the greatest sporting ever Ive ever seen live. The crowd was standing and cheering thru every commercial break. It was insane.

I contrast that with the morons sitting behind me at the Va Tech game last weekend, yelling at me to sit down on 1st and 2nd down when the Canes were on D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TBCwsWJN00
I agree 100%. Even though I was sitting in the closed end south side 10 yard line opposite the student section, the electricity for that game was beyond crazy, I was standing much of the game... I guess it was payback for the Convict crap. I would look over to the student section and I don't think they sat down the whole game.

Last edited:
Cotton bowl might have been the best UM game ever. That’s why you love the canes

The ultimate middle finger up in the air to the entire nation. You can throw all the flags you like, it won't stop us.

We have had some dominant performances, but IMO, that tops the list.

The beatdown of Houston in the OB is on that list as well. Another Erickson classic...

Advertisement
Fact#1 - Butch recruited for Jimmy Johnson - heavy. He was to take off on Thursdays to evaluate, visit, and recruit over the weekends - and he did so.

It's interesting how you claim that Jimmy's assistants (only one assistant in this case) recruited for him but when Butch was head coach apparently only the head coach recruited!

So Butch as a position coach was responsible for recruiting under Jimmy and as a head coach he was solely responsible for the recruits as well.

It just seems like you blow Butch and give him credit for everything. Well, except for the losses and failures that he suffered as a head coach. Those weren't his fault at all.

The musings of a fanboy.

Let this soak into your thick skull- that means a lot of JJ's team members - were provided by the efforts and evaluations of Butch Davis.

If you say so.

Again, apparently no assistants under Butch provided any effort or evaluations.

A total fanboy position.

Fact #2 - The coach that succeeded Jimmy Johnson was - Dennis Erickson. Erickson's First Year - he won a National Championship, and another two years later.

Yeah.

Dennis Erickson won two more national championships than Butch Davis.

Tell me something I don't know.

Advertisement
Now, numbnuts, WHO was the primary evaluator and recruiter for those guys? Yeah. Butch Davis.

Again, if you insist on making things up then go for it.

Maybe that will make you feel better about the fact that your hero is coaching at FIU.

Fact#3 - Butch follows Erickson, and the program is in the tank. So he starts over. And leaves - with Clappy taking the reins.

The program had 10+ NFL starters in it when Butch took over.

It's only considered "ion the tank" by Butch fanboys because he failed so miserably to win anything.

Couldn’t do squat with it sanctioned to death?

The probation didn't affect the roster until 1997-99.

He inherited 10+ NFLers on the 1995-96 teams and did squat.

He had:

Ray Lewis
Kenard Lang
Kenny Holmes
James Burgess
Twan Russell
Earl Little
Tremain Mack
Yatil Green
Jammi German

Went 8-3. Didn't even win an outright Big East title. Got blown-out twice. Won 3 games by one score or less against bad teams.

Advertisement
What????? We lost game 1 of the 85 season to UF and didnt lose another regular season game until 1988 vs ND. if that isnt sustained success I don't know what is,

Lost 5 games in 1984.

Then got blown-out twice in 1985 (one was for the national championship).

Then lost another national championship game in 1986.

Before he showed up, Miami had one 10-win season in school history (1983).

The program wasn't at the place that it was in 1989 when Erickson came in. Jimmy got a long honeymoon period that Erickson and Coker didn't get 4-5 years after they had already won championships.

Always liked Erickson .Great innovative offensive mind. What the players and a few assistants did with the Pell grants was unknown to him. Other than Golden I root for all ex Canes to do well. Was on Golden's side until he sneaked that interview with Penn State.

Dennis was the best offensive coach UM has ever had. Won everywhere he went, except the NFL. Purely a college coach. Look what he did with Oregon State when they slapped Notre Dame 41-9 in the Fiesta Bowl.

Or his Washington State teams (pre-UM) beating mighty USC, in the La Coliseum, with 10% of the talent the Trojans had.

It was fun to be a Canes fan during the Erickson years. Lot of classic beatdowns.

His offense, especially with the right personnel, was cool to watch. Craig Erickson was the best QB we had to run that offense, IMO. Even in Gino's Heisman year, we had limitations....our offensive line was getting soft.

I think that where he really left us in the lurch, besides the obvious problems we had with the NCAA, was his recruiting up front in the later years. Our offensive and defensive lines were shells of what they once were. Once Sapp left after the Nebraska game in 94, our defense was a joke for the next 4 years.

Advertisement
Back