Coach Dennis Erickson will be in attendance on Saturday

Those negging the guy who doesnt care for Erickson must not have a full understanding of the programs history.

Offhand, I'd say that guy doesn't know **** from strawberries, from dingleberries.

Ignorance is a personal problem.

Advertisement
For a younger Cane, what was the difference between Erickson and Jimmy teams?

Recruiting and attention to detail.

Butch Davis recruited and evaluated talent for Jimmy's teams - took off every Thursday to visit, evaluate, and recruit.

Even without Butch - Erickson did very well - oh! As Erickson inherited a lot of JJ's recruits - pulled by Butch -

Just like Clappy later used Butch's recruits to win HIS National Championship

Funny how that works out.

Dennis was the best offensive coach UM has ever had. Won everywhere he went, except the NFL. Purely a college coach. Look what he did with Oregon State when they slapped Notre Dame 41-9 in the Fiesta Bowl.

Schnellenberger was the best offensive mind to have coached at the UM.

2 NCs

More than any other canes coach.

I’ll overlook whatever his failings are.

Do you feel the same way towards Coker? He got one and was robbed of the second. Should have been back to back NC coach.

I don’t deal in hypotheticals. May as well talk about if we had a unicorn as tailback.

Coker was not Miami HC material, but at least he didn’t let his ego get in the way of the NC that team actually did win. There’s plenty of coaches that would have come in, changed things up to “their way” and ruined our NC season.

I appreciate each and every one of our NCs and everyone involved with them. Anybody that doesn’t, just doesn’t get it in my book

Advertisement
2 NCs

Do you feel the same way towards Coker? He got one and was robbed of the second. Should have been back to back NC coach.

I don’t deal in hypotheticals. May as well talk about if we had a unicorn as tailback.

Coker was not Miami HC material, but at least he didn’t let his ego get in the way of the NC that team actually did win. There’s plenty of coaches that would have come in, changed things up to “their way” and ruined our NC season.

I appreciate each and every one of our NCs and everyone involved with them. Anybody that doesn’t, just doesn’t get it in my book

May as well not ever talk about Porter and the flag then? Pretty much every Cane fan I know considers that the robbery in the desert. Same with ND call at their olace under Holtz, our dang win. Talking as if those plays never happened, wouldn't that be dealing in hypotheticals?

The 89 notre dame game was an amazing night for Coach Erickson. He out-coached Lou Holtz every step of the way that night. There's two examples that still come to mind:

1). 3rd and goal from the 8 yard line just before halftime. Lou Holtz was positive that Erickson would go for the TD so he put his dime package in. Erickson called a fullback draw and the running back walked into the end zone, untouched. (I can't come up with the kid's name - RB from New York). (I ****ing hate getting old)

2). 3rd and 43: Holtz was positive that Erickson would play for field position so he put in his base 4-3 defense. Erickson calls a quad seem route and Craig Erickson hits Randal Hill for a 45 yard gain and another Miami Hurricanes..... FIRST DOWN.

[video=youtube_share;gw1zUKJVEw8]https://youtu.be/gw1zUKJVEw8[/video]

Jimmy Johnson tends to get less criticism than the other coaches. Why? No idea. However, you can pick any coach apart, instead of enjoying the fact that Miami, and only Miami has been able to win w/multiple coaches (More or less...AL, FL...). Great coaches with great staffs.

Year 1: 8-5 with some record and historic blown leads.
Year 2: Crushed by TN.
Year 3: Forgets Highsmith is in backfield. Yes, the guy running through their defense. Coaching lost this game. Arrogance.
Year 4: Natty
Year 5: Cleveland Gary robbed...but an undisciplined start 3 weeks after an undisciplined game in the Big House.

Jimmy Johnson had slightly more control over his teams than a man riding a bull. No problem with Jimmy or Dennis.

Advertisement
2 NCs

May as well not ever talk about Porter and the flag then? Pretty much every Cane fan I know considers that the robbery in the desert. Same with ND call at their olace under Holtz, our dang win. Talking as if those plays never happened, wouldn't that be dealing in hypotheticals?

You’re confused.

“What if Coker had won 2 NCs” is a hypothetical.

Saying we were robbed in the desert or at ND is complaining justifiably about bad calls. It’s not talking about hypotheticals. It’s a real world complaint. There’s nothing hypothetical about it.

Butch Davis recruited and evaluated talent for Jimmy's teams - took off every Thursday to visit, evaluate, and recruit.

Even without Butch - Erickson did very well - oh! As Erickson inherited a lot of JJ's recruits - pulled by Butch -

Funny how you rewrite history.

Also, it's too bad that Butch couldn't actually coach as well as his fanboys could blow his horn.

Guy inherited a bunch of Erickson's NFL talent and didn't do squat with it.

2 NCs

You’re confused.

“What if Coker had won 2 NCs” is a hypothetical.

Saying we were robbed in the desert or at ND is complaining justifiably about bad calls. It’s not talking about hypotheticals. It’s a real world complaint. There’s nothing hypothetical about it.

I would disagree.

In either case, the play or game didnt turn out the way we wanted due to x, y, and z so you're left talking about a hypothetical situation that didnt happen.

Notre Dame, it wasn't called a TD just the same as Porter and the Flag. Neither happened, plays didnt go our way, and that's the way it went down in the record book. Same as the two NC's under DE.

Bad call or not, you arr left talking about a hypothetical situation (the correct call being made) in much the same way.

For the record, with the pain of Dennis, the reward was great.

Advertisement
Jimmy Johnson tends to get less criticism than the other coaches. Why? No idea.

I think it has to do with expectations.

There's a reason why Erickson and Coker get the most heat from fans. They inherited expectations that were through the roof.

Jimmy Johnson inherited what many people thought was a one-hit wonder. There wasn't any sustained success until later in his tenure.

Cotton bowl might have been the best UM game ever. That’s why you love the canes

Cotton bowl might have been the best UM game ever. That’s why you love the canes

The ultimate middle finger up in the air to the entire nation. You can throw all the flags you like, it won't stop us.

We have had some dominant performances, but IMO, that tops the list.

Advertisement

Funny how you rewrite history.

Also, it's too bad that Butch couldn't actually coach as well as his fanboys could blow his horn.

Guy inherited a bunch of Erickson's NFL talent and didn't do squat with it.

Funnier how you chase me around with your nose up my butt.

Fact#1 - Butch recruited for Jimmy Johnson - heavy. He was to take off on Thursdays to evaluate, visit, and recruit over the weekends - and he did so.

Let this soak into your thick skull- that means a lot of JJ's team members - were provided by the efforts and evaluations of Butch Davis.

Fact #2 - The coach that succeeded Jimmy Johnson was - Dennis Erickson. Erickson's First Year - he won a National Championship, and another two years later.

Now, numbnuts, WHO was the primary evaluator and recruiter for those guys? Yeah. Butch Davis.

Fact#3 - Butch follows Erickson, and the program is in the tank. So he starts over. And leaves - with Clappy taking the reins.

Fact #4 - Clappy wins a National Championshhip his First Year!

Sound familiar?

Dumbass?

Dennis Erickson's not my favorite coach at Miami. But one thing I admired him is the *** whipping he gives Notre Dame.

Aside from this particular opponent, I don't want to be reminded of that dude.

He's in town to be the special host of the UM Celebrity Golf Tournament. So he's helping the school raise money. Of course they're going to have him at the game on Saturday.

That "dude" went 63-9 and he can legitimately use this famous Patrick Roy line.

"I can't hear you. I've got two championship rings plugging my ears."

Cool man. Glad he's helping out the U. To me, he's still a sleazeball who decimated the program. His teams were hella fun to root for though. All I'm sayin is I don't feel strong enough about it to have an argument with a fellow Cane fan who likes the dude, but he ain't my cup of tea and I'm not the only one who feels that way. Dude inherited a monster and left us in a world of hurt.

He had very little to do with the actual Pell grant scam that got us in trouble with the NCAA... The athletic dept back in those days lost total control of the whole program.
Dennis didn't feel like it was his job to deal with stuff outside the field ...

Advertisement
Back