Class Impact: Jacurri Brown to Miami

View as article
On a serious note, hardly anyone in Texas thought King was ever going to be much of a passer, either. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss on kids like this. As long as all the eggs aren't in this basket, looks like a good kid to take a chance on. He seems to have the right attitude and approach moving forward and obviously the physical tools are there.
This is exactly why I’d take him. You’ve probably got at least two seasons with him at UM before he’s the starter. When you build a solid QB room you can afford this.

Advertisement
I know this is a crazy concept but maybe we have an OC who believes that, if given a quarterback with the necessary physical tools and emotional/mental make-up, he can develop him into a successful college quarterback. I'm not saying Lashlee is correct as only time will tell but I can see why this is enticing to Lashlee. And yes Lashlee probably looks at a guy like Lamar Jackson and thinks about developing someone with that physical and mental skill set.

I like the pick-up because having Brown and Garcia in the same room gives us completely different quarterbacks to work with.
One is polished, knows the position as well as anyone, has been coached to the hilt his entire life, but is limited athletically.
The other is more raw as a quarterback, likely hasn't had a private coach since he was 11, but has lots of physical tools.

What they have in common is that both seem to be mentally strong which is the most important criteria at the position and without which none of the rest even matters.
I seem him as the same ilk as Cam Newton. I’m sure he probably envisions an offense similar to the one they had at Auburn.

He told Inside the U "The quarterback room gives me a legitimate opportunity to compete early in my career"

LOL shots fired?
I think that’s more pointing at by the time he gets here the incumbent starter will be gone and there will be an open competition his first year on campus.

Let's not forget that Chris Walsh looked great in HS...until he developed that bizarre hitch in his throwing motion when he got to UM.

As smooth and powerful as Brown's throwing motion is, I'd be willing to bet that a bunch of QB coaches would love to just refine his footwork and ball placement (and surround him with better receivers).

January 23, 1992

Miami Hurricanes coach Dennis Erickson scored his first major recruiting coup of the season in the shadows of the Super Bowl Wednesday by winning a commitment from a quarterback he is convinced has the right bloodlines to play at Miami.

Chris Walsh, baby brother of New Orleans and former UM quarterback Steve Walsh, told a news conference in a crowded library at St. Paul (Minn.) Cretin- Derham High that he will sign a national letter-of-intent and attend UM. It was a fittingly studious setting.

August 17, 1994

He was once the Gatorade National Player of the Year, touted as the premier high school quarterback, but now Chris Walsh is fighting to keep from falling to the bottom of the University of Miami's depth chart.

He came to Miami with much promise. The younger brother of former UM star quarterback Steve Walsh, Chris was supposed to be even more gifted.

Now, as a third-year sophomore, Chris faces his stiffest challenge. He begins fall practice fighting to overcome a hitch in his throwing motion while trying to hold off two talented freshmen who want to take his place.

UM coach Dennis Erickson signed two of the nation's most coveted high school quarterbacks last February. Now, Ryan Clement and Scott Covington are mounting challenges to leap over Walsh and take the No. 3 job behind senior Frank Costa and junior Ryan Collins.

"I haven't thought about it," Walsh said of the prospect of one or both of the freshmen leaping over him. "I'm not going to think about that now. I'm just going out to practice every day and do the best I can."

The pressure will mount over the next four days. Erickson said he wants to name the third quarterback after Saturday's scrimmage so he can proportion snaps accordingly. Clement or Covington could shed a redshirt and play this year.

"I have to go out and do what I can do," Walsh said.

Walsh arrived at Miami from St. Paul (Minn.) Cretin-Derham High with a fluid, graceful motion in his arm. Sometime between fall of 1992 and the beginning of the 1993 spring workouts Walsh developed a bad habit, the hitch. He began turning the ball outward at the back end of his windup. It took the zip off his passes, threw off his timing with receivers.

Exactly when and how Walsh's motion became a problem is a mystery.

"I don't know how it happened," Walsh said. "It just happened. I'm trying not to look back at that."

Walsh spent most every day after practice over the last two seasons working on his technique, and this spring and summer he improved. He no longer turns the ball outward, but there's still an awkward movement in his takeaway.

"I think I made a lot of improvements . . . I feel good about it," Walsh said.

The hitch clearly arrested his development and carved into his confidence. He and FSU's Danny Kanell were about equally rated as high school recruits. Both were considering Miami and FSU. When Kanell chose FSU, Walsh chose the Miami. Kanell is starting for the Seminoles this year.

It's a difficult topic for Erickson, too, who tutored Timm Rosenbach and Craig Erickson to pro careers and Gino Torretta to the Heisman Trophy. The signing of Walsh was another coup for him, but Walsh developed his problems under Erickson.

"He's got a motion problem, but it's a lot better now," Erickson said.

September 7, 1994

Third-year sophomore quarterback Chris Walsh has left the University of Miami to transfer to Minnesota.

Walsh, a former Gatorade National Player of the Year, lost out to freshman Ryan Clement in the competition for third-string this fall. He mysteriously developed a hitch in his motion shortly after arriving at UM and failed to develop as expected.

"I didn't think in my situation there I was going to get a lot or any playing time," Walsh said Tuesday from his Minnesota home. "I just felt it would be a better situation to come back home and try to play. It wasn't that I didn't like the coaches or the players."

Walsh, the younger brother of Chicago Bears and former UM quarterback Steve Walsh, said he didn't blame anybody at UM for his hitch.

"Things happen," Walsh said. "If I hadn't developed the hitch, maybe I wouldn't have played anyway. Maybe I would have. I would just like to forget that. Hopefully, I can come up here and contribute any way I can."

Walsh isn't sure yet whether he will be offered a scholarship by Minnesota. He says he may be a walk-on. He must sit out this year under NCAA transfer rules but would be eligible to play as a fourth-year junior next year.

"I didn't want him to leave," UM coach Dennis Erickson said. "But I wanted him to do what he thinks is best for him."
This is great. But who's Chris Walsh?

Advertisement
On a serious note, hardly anyone in Texas thought King was ever going to be much of a passer, either. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss on kids like this. As long as all the eggs aren't in this basket, looks like a good kid to take a chance on. He seems to have the right attitude and approach moving forward and obviously the physical tools are there.

This board is a little too hung up on high school completion percentages imo...

Lamar Jackson had a 47% completion percentage out of high school.... Heisman winner and NFL Starting QB.

Brad Kaaya had a 64% completion percentage out of high school... CFB Bust.

Advertisement
Athletically, no issues. It all depends on how he processes what he sees and the decision-making. I would be we'll know pretty soon after he starts practicing. Good QB's tend to stand out right away when they get to college.

Advertisement
Does this mean you are going to stop complaining that "Miami always loses these type of players to the SEC"?
We get some but I want the ones that are major talents. This kids good but he needs work let's not act like this dude is a qb the whole country is after. Pump the breaks.....bring me the shemar stewarts and the elite sfla linebacker and all those DEs. I want a guy bama Clemson osu are sending everything at.

Bring me Spells Little JR and the guys bama wants and I'll stfu. We need the majority and they keep cherry picking elite guys. The wr they got last cycle from sfla is legit and that should never happen. If that keeps happening we will keep recycling coaches every 4-5 years.

This kids good but he needs work let's not act like this dude is a qb the whole country is after.

Wrong. Sometimes you need to turn off the mope and take a timeout, champ. When you say silly things like that, you aren't "keeping it real", it comes off as being a big ol' mopey gash that can't accept when good things happen to the program. The fact is that Miami landed a QB that most of the teams in the country wanted. That's all there is to it.

"One of the nation’s top quarterback prospects for the 2022 recruiting cycle has begun to narrow down his options as Jacurri Brown has just released his top five schools.

The Valdosta, Ga., native currently has SEC programs Auburn, Florida, Texas A&M in his top five along with Arizona State and Miami. Brown also holds scholarship offers from Georgia and LSU, among many others."

Last edited:
Advertisement
Wrong

"One of the nation’s top quarterback prospects for the 2022 recruiting cycle has begun to narrow down his options as Jacurri Brown has just released his top five schools.

The Valdosta, Ga., native currently has SEC programs Auburn, Florida, Texas A&M in his top five along with Arizona State and Miami. Brown also holds scholarship offers from Georgia and LSU, among many others."
Dog I know they get offers but I'm talking about if someone is going hard after someone. Doesn't bama give out like 200 offers a cycle? It doesn't mean the want all those kids. U know late when the sec shows their hand

This board is a little too hung up on high school completion percentages imo...

Lamar Jackson had a 47% completion percentage out of high school.... Heisman winner and NFL Starting QB.

Brad Kaaya had a 64% completion percentage out of high school... CFB Bust.
This might be a good time to sneak in a commercial spot for the new show.

F4122D28-BD66-481F-9CB0-D6CD108FFBBE.gif

Let's all stop with the Sitkowski references here, please. Before he was done with HS Miami had dropped him and his best opportunity was Rutgers. He was a mistake by the staff and they realized it and course corrected. Once he was full evaluated he was perceived as a lower level prospect by all of CFB outside of E. Brunswick, NJ.
LMAO.

Look, I was not up on sotkowski, but
your response is crazy. This time that year sit hasn’t even committed, let alone been dropped. I like Brown as a prospect more than Sit - but the idea there’s no comparison. you’re just flat out wrong. Brown hasn’t been fully evaluated. that is ridiculous. the staff had a lot more data on sit before he committed than they do now on brown.

Advertisement
Back