Class Impact: Jacurri Brown to Miami

View as article
I know this is a crazy concept but maybe we have an OC who believes that, if given a quarterback with the necessary physical tools and emotional/mental make-up, he can develop him into a successful college quarterback. I'm not saying Lashlee is correct as only time will tell but I can see why this is enticing to Lashlee. And yes Lashlee probably looks at a guy like Lamar Jackson and thinks about developing someone with that physical and mental skill set.

I like the pick-up because having Brown and Garcia in the same room gives us completely different quarterbacks to work with.
One is polished, knows the position as well as anyone, has been coached to the hilt his entire life, but is limited athletically.
The other is more raw as a quarterback, likely hasn't had a private coach since he was 11, but has lots of physical tools.

What they have in common is that both seem to be mentally strong which is the most important criteria at the position and without which none of the rest even matters.

Advertisement
Exactly. It’s about projection. He has the tools physically for sure..as long as it’s not jack Allison Numbers

Let's not forget that Chris Walsh looked great in HS...until he developed that bizarre hitch in his throwing motion when he got to UM.

As smooth and powerful as Brown's throwing motion is, I'd be willing to bet that a bunch of QB coaches would love to just refine his footwork and ball placement (and surround him with better receivers).

January 23, 1992

Miami Hurricanes coach Dennis Erickson scored his first major recruiting coup of the season in the shadows of the Super Bowl Wednesday by winning a commitment from a quarterback he is convinced has the right bloodlines to play at Miami.

Chris Walsh, baby brother of New Orleans and former UM quarterback Steve Walsh, told a news conference in a crowded library at St. Paul (Minn.) Cretin- Derham High that he will sign a national letter-of-intent and attend UM. It was a fittingly studious setting.

August 17, 1994

He was once the Gatorade National Player of the Year, touted as the premier high school quarterback, but now Chris Walsh is fighting to keep from falling to the bottom of the University of Miami's depth chart.

He came to Miami with much promise. The younger brother of former UM star quarterback Steve Walsh, Chris was supposed to be even more gifted.

Now, as a third-year sophomore, Chris faces his stiffest challenge. He begins fall practice fighting to overcome a hitch in his throwing motion while trying to hold off two talented freshmen who want to take his place.

UM coach Dennis Erickson signed two of the nation's most coveted high school quarterbacks last February. Now, Ryan Clement and Scott Covington are mounting challenges to leap over Walsh and take the No. 3 job behind senior Frank Costa and junior Ryan Collins.

"I haven't thought about it," Walsh said of the prospect of one or both of the freshmen leaping over him. "I'm not going to think about that now. I'm just going out to practice every day and do the best I can."

The pressure will mount over the next four days. Erickson said he wants to name the third quarterback after Saturday's scrimmage so he can proportion snaps accordingly. Clement or Covington could shed a redshirt and play this year.

"I have to go out and do what I can do," Walsh said.

Walsh arrived at Miami from St. Paul (Minn.) Cretin-Derham High with a fluid, graceful motion in his arm. Sometime between fall of 1992 and the beginning of the 1993 spring workouts Walsh developed a bad habit, the hitch. He began turning the ball outward at the back end of his windup. It took the zip off his passes, threw off his timing with receivers.

Exactly when and how Walsh's motion became a problem is a mystery.

"I don't know how it happened," Walsh said. "It just happened. I'm trying not to look back at that."

Walsh spent most every day after practice over the last two seasons working on his technique, and this spring and summer he improved. He no longer turns the ball outward, but there's still an awkward movement in his takeaway.

"I think I made a lot of improvements . . . I feel good about it," Walsh said.

The hitch clearly arrested his development and carved into his confidence. He and FSU's Danny Kanell were about equally rated as high school recruits. Both were considering Miami and FSU. When Kanell chose FSU, Walsh chose the Miami. Kanell is starting for the Seminoles this year.

It's a difficult topic for Erickson, too, who tutored Timm Rosenbach and Craig Erickson to pro careers and Gino Torretta to the Heisman Trophy. The signing of Walsh was another coup for him, but Walsh developed his problems under Erickson.

"He's got a motion problem, but it's a lot better now," Erickson said.

September 7, 1994

Third-year sophomore quarterback Chris Walsh has left the University of Miami to transfer to Minnesota.

Walsh, a former Gatorade National Player of the Year, lost out to freshman Ryan Clement in the competition for third-string this fall. He mysteriously developed a hitch in his motion shortly after arriving at UM and failed to develop as expected.

"I didn't think in my situation there I was going to get a lot or any playing time," Walsh said Tuesday from his Minnesota home. "I just felt it would be a better situation to come back home and try to play. It wasn't that I didn't like the coaches or the players."

Walsh, the younger brother of Chicago Bears and former UM quarterback Steve Walsh, said he didn't blame anybody at UM for his hitch.

"Things happen," Walsh said. "If I hadn't developed the hitch, maybe I wouldn't have played anyway. Maybe I would have. I would just like to forget that. Hopefully, I can come up here and contribute any way I can."

Walsh isn't sure yet whether he will be offered a scholarship by Minnesota. He says he may be a walk-on. He must sit out this year under NCAA transfer rules but would be eligible to play as a fourth-year junior next year.

"I didn't want him to leave," UM coach Dennis Erickson said. "But I wanted him to do what he thinks is best for him."

Last edited:
Jacurri's blog for Sports Illustrated. Talks about why he committed to Miami and about his trip last weekend....

Impressive write up by this young fella. Seems to be intelligent and very well spoken with a good head on his shoulders. Look forward to seeing what he can do when he gets on campus next year.

Anyone see the article on 247 about who Jacurri is trying to recruit? Just canceled and dont want to reup

Advertisement
Yes, great comp. Identical recruiting profiles. Equally good prospects. The only thing that separates them is 10 years.

View attachment 144947

View attachment 144946

As an aside...

Education​

University of Miami
B.A., Political Science

University of Miami, School of Law
J.D., c u m laude

I half agree but see it a bit differently.

He has much higher upside than Crow or Allison, obviously.

However, what attracts me is his _downside_ is much higher, too. Not because he can't fail as a QB, but because, if he does, he still projects as a top athlete at several other positions.

Sitkowski supposedly had a higher upside than Crow and Allison, too ... but his downside was high because he wasn't going to play another position.

JB could be a first round pick at WR, TE or a couple positions on D. This kid is an elite athlete and leader. I'd take him without worrying about position. Let him compete at QB and if he wants to switch positions let him pick where he wants to play. I'd take 12 of this kid in a class and be happy.

Let's all stop with the Sitkowski references here, please. Before he was done with HS Miami had dropped him and his best opportunity was Rutgers. He was a mistake by the staff and they realized it and course corrected. Once he was fully evaluated he was perceived as a lower level prospect by all of CFB outside of E. Brunswick, NJ.

Last edited:
I saw his commitment on CBS Sports.
The kid mentioned dominating the ACC, hopefully winning a Ship and personally winning a Heisman as his personal goal.
Also wants to bring back swag to the program and feels he has the leadership skills too.

When was the last time we had a QB like that commit to us??

I am already a big fan. Hopefully he works hard and proves to everyone how good he is on and off the field.
Two months ago.

In with the ... who do we have lined up for QB in 2023 in accordance with the what's next / way too early type of post.

Advertisement
I love that he plays with a chip on his shoulder and desires to shut his critics up. That attitude combined with his reported work ethic is rarely a miss. Welcome to The U Jacurri!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Love the pickup. The athleticism jumps off the page. Kid has all the right ingredients and Lashlee has plenty of time to develop him.

Jacurri's blog for Sports Illustrated. Talks about why he committed to Miami and about his trip last weekend....

SI? really?

source (3).gif

Advertisement
The Sitkowski comparisons are laughable. Gator troll level material. This kid has the HS goods. Needs to clean it up for high level college type production. But I was living in TX when Vince committed, and he had all the same issues. Vick's another one I remember who had weak mechanics. Athletes like these kids take a little longer to develop because they're asked to do so much more than pocket passing.

Great athlete, high character kid. Definite take, especially if open to position change is QB doesn’t work out. Not saying or predicting it won’t, but if TVD and/or Garcia meet or exceed expectations JB might move just to get on the field. Or be patient.

Advertisement
Back