'Chuck Pagano is a Possibility for Miami'

Advertisement
What would make you think Pete Carroll was an elite football mind in 1999? I'd say that Pete Carroll was an elite NFL DC. He fielded [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] defenses in the NFL a couple times.

He fielded the 4th and 2nd ranked defenses with SF.

He fielded the 17th, 10th, 18th, and 6th ranked defense with the Jets.

He wasn't an NFL DC any other time. He was the DBs coach in Minnesota, not the DC.

He had the #1 D once in SF. He was considered an elite DC. That's why he got those 2 HC gigs in the NFL. Certainly, his background as an NFL DC was more impressive than Pagano's. Since returning to the NFL, he's had the #1 D at Seattle something like 3 or 4 times.

I like Pagano. I think he's a good football coach. I just don't think the comparison to Carroll is a good one. Their personalities seem pretty different too.

You are playing hindsight by using Seattle. At the time of his USC hiring, he was a guy with slightly more DC experience, nearly identical HC experience, and a worse record.

I'm not playing anything. Pete has proven to be an elite defensive mind. His time in Seattle solidifies the fact he's a proven defensive guru.

His NFL HC record was worse than Pagano's when USC hired him. That is a fact.

It's also a fact that Pete is an elite defensive mind. I'm not sure that's proven with Pagano.

Pete is also one of the most charismatic guys in the history of the game. That's also not something Pagano's shown. So, I just don't see the comparison between Carroll and Pagano.

I'll say it again: I like Pagano and think he's a good football coach.

Was Pete Carroll considered an "elite defensive mind" when USC hired him? He had two seasons in his career with a top 5 defense. Pagano had 1.

So one year with a top 5 NFL D = not elite. But 2 years? HOLD THE SHOW guys.

He fielded the 4th and 2nd ranked defenses with SF.

He fielded the 17th, 10th, 18th, and 6th ranked defense with the Jets.

He wasn't an NFL DC any other time. He was the DBs coach in Minnesota, not the DC.

He had the #1 D once in SF. He was considered an elite DC. That's why he got those 2 HC gigs in the NFL. Certainly, his background as an NFL DC was more impressive than Pagano's. Since returning to the NFL, he's had the #1 D at Seattle something like 3 or 4 times.

I like Pagano. I think he's a good football coach. I just don't think the comparison to Carroll is a good one. Their personalities seem pretty different too.

You are playing hindsight by using Seattle. At the time of his USC hiring, he was a guy with slightly more DC experience, nearly identical HC experience, and a worse record.

I'm not playing anything. Pete has proven to be an elite defensive mind. His time in Seattle solidifies the fact he's a proven defensive guru.

His NFL HC record was worse than Pagano's when USC hired him. That is a fact.

It's also a fact that Pete is an elite defensive mind. I'm not sure that's proven with Pagano.

Pete is also one of the most charismatic guys in the history of the game. That's also not something Pagano's shown. So, I just don't see the comparison between Carroll and Pagano.

I'll say it again: I like Pagano and think he's a good football coach.

Was Pete Carroll considered an "elite defensive mind" when USC hired him? He had two seasons in his career with a top 5 defense. Pagano had 1.

So one year with a top 5 NFL D = not elite. But 2 years? HOLD THE SHOW guys.

OK. You win. Pete and Chuck are the same guy.

So what DiegoCane is saying is that the 4 years in the early 90's that Carroll averaged a 15th ranked defense with the Jets made Pete Carroll exponentially a more accomplished coach, despite as a HEAD COACH displaying a worse record, and having nearly identical

If you don't see the difference in their resumes and know what that means then I don't know what else to say.

By the time Chuck Pagano became an NFL DC (which he did for 1 year) at 51, Pete Carroll had been:

NFL HC for 4 years
NFL DC for 6 years
College HC for 2 years

WHO CARES WHAT AGE THEY WERE???

This isn't about which 51 year old had accomplished more. By age 35 Lane Kiffin had been an NFL HC. What does that matter? What matters is at the time of USC hiring Carroll, he had a resume that is extremely similar to Paganos.

Elite football minds and coaches aren't position coaches until they are 50.

I think we should hire Lane Kiffin. I mean look at his resume and he is only 40. Lane Kiffin elite football mind.

Advertisement
So what DiegoCane is saying is that the 4 years in the early 90's that Carroll averaged a 15th ranked defense with the Jets made Pete Carroll exponentially a more accomplished coach, despite as a HEAD COACH displaying a worse record, and having nearly identical

If you don't see the difference in their resumes and know what that means then I don't know what else to say.

By the time Chuck Pagano became an NFL DC (which he did for 1 year) at 51, Pete Carroll had been:

NFL HC for 4 years
NFL DC for 6 years
College HC for 2 years

WHO CARES WHAT AGE THEY WERE???

This isn't about which 51 year old had accomplished more. By age 35 Lane Kiffin had been an NFL HC. What does that matter? What matters is at the time of USC hiring Carroll, he had a resume that is extremely similar to Paganos.

Elite football minds and coaches aren't position coaches until they are 50.

Says who? I must have missed that rule somewhere.

So Lane Kiffin is an elite football mind. So is Dennis Allen.

But a guy with a really good HC record in the NFL, who was extremely successful as a DC, who has a REAALLLLLY solid pedigree and WHO WAS HERE FOR OUR GREATEST TEAM EVER, isn't a good football mind? LMFAO.

Diego, please tell me what available coaches are better than Pagano, not named Butch Davis or Chip Kelly, who are both proven no brainers.

Why would I want a coach who is about to be fired? I like Chuck a lot, but the chances that he is the next Pete Carroll are slim.

Advertisement
Out of interest, how did Pagano get an NFL HC gig with just 1 year as a DC behind him?

Neither Harbaugh has ever been a coordinator in the NFL.

The Baltimore one was the STs Coordinator, no?

The other one came hot off a Stanford HC position.

I guess my point was that its unusual for a special teams coach to be hired as a HC. John was not an OC or DC. Neither was Jim.

And I don't mean to imply Pagano is Carroll. But what I am saying is that people who don't think he's a great candidate need to get some perspective when evaluating NFL guys.

Why would I want a coach who is about to be fired? I like Chuck a lot, but the chances that he is the next Pete Carroll are slim.

Yea who would want a guy fired as an NFL HC with the Colts as UM's head coach, right?

Schnellenberger.jpg

Advertisement
He certainly fits the bill of a solid coach:

- HC in the pros with a solid record
- Solid impact on the defensive side of the ball in the pros but more importantly, worked with Rex Ryan in implementing a nasty defense
- Worked the college game for a long time

He brings a real nice mix of pros and college experience and TBH, if you're not going to hire a gunner like Herman, a guy with a nice mix of college and pro experience would be my choice.

There's no way Chud would come back as an OC.

All kidding aside, I think that Pagano would be a great hire. My point to compare him to Pete was not to say they are same but that like Pete he is a guy who could be successful in college, even after being fired from the NFL. And Pete was not considered a 10/10 elite hire at USC.

I'm trying to say he isn't a genius with Xs and Os. He became a DC at UNC at 47, DC at Baltimore at 51. Position Coach for 22 years.

As opposed to a guy like Pete Carroll who was a NFL DC at 37 and did it for 12 years in the NFL.

And FWIW, he was 2-3 his first year in Indy, Arians was 9-3.

Ok, so let's be clear. Chuck Pagano's HC record in the NFL is better than what Carroll's was. Carroll, who also was in a situation in New England where he had absolutely no say in personnel. Better record than Butch did. Better record than Hue Jackson. Better record as a HC than what Howard had, who I personally revere. What more exactly are you looking for if you want an NFL guy? Chip Kelly? Of course I'd love him, more than anyone else, but if he isn't available......

Pagano is probably the best opportunity to snag a solid NFL coach. And a solid NFL coach who focuses on teaching and development would absolutely murder it at Miami.

I'm saying Pete Carroll is a much better football mind then Pagano. I don't see any similarities between the two.

I think Pagano would be a 6/10 hire, his ability to put together a staff would be his best attribute IMO. I want an elite hire.

Again, this is my opinion. If people think he is an elite football coach then that is fine.

Again, what exactly about Pete Carroll's coaching career in 1999 would indicate that he was an elite football mind, compared to Pagano? He coached to a worse record in the NFL.

36-19 vs. 33-31........what exactly about Pete Carroll's tenure and record indicated that his football knowledge dwarfs Pagano???

I don't know what to tell you, Pete is an elite football mind:

At 49 years old (when Pete went to USC): he had been a NFL DC for 6 , NFL HC for 4, NFL position coach for 6, college DC for 3, college OC for 1, GA for 2.
At 49 years old Pagano: college DC for 2 years (UNLV, UNC), a NFL position coach for 8, college position coach for 11

If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.

So Pete lived by way of short cuts. Hum, might explain why he had to run from the terrible ncaa sanctions. Truth is we don't want another Pete. This is Miami and we are unique. Our recruiting base is not So Cal it is So FL and this in the South not the West. Our one West Coast coach left us with even worse ncaa punishments the USC got. I want Butch above all. Any substitute must bring Butch as DC and recruiting Czar.

Advertisement
I mean why did New England want Belichick. He was fired by Cleveland. Most coaches are fired at one point in their career.

I mean why did New England want Belichick. He was fired by Cleveland. Most coaches are fired at one point in their career.

We have fans here that are so out of touch with what actually works, and the history of our program, that they don't even know who Howard was.

he's a defensive coach and his team's defense is in the bottom third in every defensive category, and 4 of the 7 teams they've played are below .500.

oh and he also gave the go ahead to line this bull**** up.

View attachment 33364

Yea but if he got to hand pick his players im sure that defense would be much better,

Advertisement
Back