'Chuck Pagano is a Possibility for Miami'

I agree with Pagano being the #2 guy with ties to Miami after Butch...

If it's not Butch, I'm not sure who I'd want....but Pagano should be someone in the 2nd group for further consideration...

Butch > Pagano >> Chud > Schiano >>>>>> Cristobal

With that said, I still want Herman.

Advertisement
It's perplexing, no, downright baffling to me, that people are dismissing Pagano. Many of the same people who turn around and slow-jerk themselves for guys like Strong or Herman. I like Herman's upside, he's from a great coaching tree and says all the right things, but man -- Pagano is proven. He's been there. Herman's green.

Who are we talking about here?

Butch? The architect of the greatest roster ever, sure. He hasn't coached in 5 years. Will the BOT even entertain him?
Mario? We're going to hire an actual position coach who was fired from a Sun Belt school and whose crowning achievement is an 8-5 season?
Chud? Been a head coach for 1 year of his life and was fired. Personality of my *******. Is Pagano's subordinate. So you'll pass on his BOSS?
Strong? This is a guy I defended, but right now he's got people making Golden-level excuses for him to justify his awful performances in year 2.
Herman? Fuente? I like them, but you'd turn down a winning NFL head coach of this pedigree for "up and comers" from non-power 5 conferences?

Pagano would be amazing. You guys need to get yo shlt together on this one.

He's spent 14 years with Butch Davis and John Harbaugh.
He spent 6 years as a defensive coordinator churning out hit squads.
He's won his NFL Division 3 straight times.
He won 11 games his first 3 NFL seasons.

We're passing on an NFL coach that's 35-17? No thanks to a head coach that's winning at the highest level? And honestly, he's doing that for an organization that's made some awful moves. Their personnel decisions overall are pretty terrible lately. That isn't some amazing roster.

I think saying he could be our Pete Carroll is a great comparison. Except he's actually won in the NFL his first go round.

Well said. I'm perfectly fine if he's not someone's first choice but he's still an excellent choice. I think it has been established that all we really need is a good choice.

Of course I think he would be better then Wario and Chud. He's is a solid coach but doesn't bring anything elite to the table.

He and Pete Carroll aren't similar though. And he has only been a DC 3 years. 91 at UNLV, 07 at UNC, 11 for Baltimore, otherwise a career position coach.

If the Colts look bad tonight and lose, Pagano could be gone. I think that UM is waiting for the Pagano thing to unfold before making a decision. If Pagano gets the Ax especially in mid season, Indy would make Chud the interm HC. This could get very interesting if the Colts lose tonight. Just saying.

crossover22[]_[];2352739 said:
crossover22[]_[];2352725 said:
crossover22[]_[];2352660 said:
Team plays terrible defense. I mean terrible.

Their GM (Grigson) has systematically ignored the defense in the draft. Their Top 3 picks from 2012-2014:

2012 - Luck, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener
2013 - Bjoern Werner, Hugh Thornton, Khaled Holmes
2014 - Jack Mewhort, Moncrief, Jon Newsome

In 3 drafts they took a tweener DE in Werner and a JAG in Newsome. That's it. Everything else was offense. And just to prove his incompetence, three of those guys are OLinemen and their OLine is still ****ty.

**** near impossible to win in the NFL if you don't draft well, and he has combined bad defensive scouting with unbalanced drafting.

I agree he hasnt drafted great on defense but they are awful. And alot of it is coaching

He hasn't drafted PERIOD on defense. And pagano has no say in that.

I don't think Carroll or Saban or Butch were lighting the world on fire defensively in the NFL either. I think he's one of the best options we could have. Not THE best, but certainly would be an excellent hire.

Im not saying he would be the worst hire. That would be mario. Im just saying his defense has sucked. We just got rid of a bad defensive coach

Are we seriously comparing an NFL HC's defense to that of a college coach?

The man was a coordinator previously in the NFL with the #3 defense. What is more likely: that he forgot how to coach defense, despite working under Butch Davis and Rex Ryan, or that he now coaches a team with a garbage roster, and has no say in his coaching staff?

Advertisement
Of course I think he would be better then Wario and Chud. He's is a solid coach but doesn't bring anything elite to the table.

He and Pete Carroll aren't similar though. And he has only been a DC 3 years. 91 at UNLV, 07 at UNC, 11 for Baltimore, otherwise a career position coach.

"A career position coach"

Except for those 4 years as an NFL HC who went to the AFC championship game.....

Their GM (Grigson) has systematically ignored the defense in the draft. Their Top 3 picks from 2012-2014:

2012 - Luck, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener
2013 - Bjoern Werner, Hugh Thornton, Khaled Holmes
2014 - Jack Mewhort, Moncrief, Jon Newsome

In 3 drafts they took a tweener DE in Werner and a JAG in Newsome. That's it. Everything else was offense. And just to prove his incompetence, three of those guys are OLinemen and their OLine is still ****ty.

**** near impossible to win in the NFL if you don't draft well, and he has combined bad defensive scouting with unbalanced drafting.

I agree he hasnt drafted great on defense but they are awful. And alot of it is coaching

I don't think Carroll or Saban or Butch were lighting the world on fire defensively in the NFL either. I think he's one of the best options we could have. Not THE best, but certainly would be an excellent hire.

Im not saying he would be the worst hire. That would be mario. Im just saying his defense has sucked. We just got rid of a bad defensive coach

The man was a coordinator previously in the NFL with the #3 defense. What is more likely: that he forgot how to coach defense, despite working under Butch Davis and Rex Ryan, or that he now coaches a team with a garbage roster, and has no say in his coaching staff?

Well if he was a good defensive coach dont you think they would be good at least one year.

Don't get me wrong as I would like Pagano but as its been said multiple times. What's his record outside of that crapped division he's in? And Arians was there the first year they won that division. The same Arians that's a 2 time coach of the year.

Except for those 4 years as an NFL HC who went to the AFC championship game.....

I'm trying to say he isn't a genius with Xs and Os. He became a DC at UNC at 47, DC at Baltimore at 51. Position Coach for 22 years.

As opposed to a guy like Pete Carroll who was a NFL DC at 37 and did it for 12 years in the NFL.

And FWIW, he was 2-3 his first year in Indy, Arians was 9-3.

Advertisement
But you know what, Pagano recruited and hired Arians. I'd be happy with Pagano, he'd be a solid hire.

crossover22[]_[];2352769 said:

Well if he was a good defensive coach dont you think they would be good at least one year.

What part of he has no control over his personnel and staff do you not comprehend?

Advertisement

I'm trying to say he isn't a genius with Xs and Os. He became a DC at UNC at 47, DC at Baltimore at 51. Position Coach for 22 years.

As opposed to a guy like Pete Carroll who was a NFL DC at 37 and did it for 12 years in the NFL.

Ok, so let's be clear. Chuck Pagano's HC record in the NFL is better than what Carroll's was. Carroll, who also was in a situation in New England where he had absolutely no say in personnel. Better record than Butch did. Better record than Hue Jackson. Better record as a HC than what Howard had, who I personally revere. What more exactly are you looking for if you want an NFL guy? Chip Kelly? Of course I'd love him, more than anyone else, but if he isn't available......

Pagano is probably the best opportunity to snag a solid NFL coach. And a solid NFL coach who focuses on teaching and development would absolutely murder it at Miami.

Ok, so let's be clear. Chuck Pagano's HC record in the NFL is better than what Carroll's was. Carroll, who also was in a situation in New England where he had absolutely no say in personnel. Better record than Butch did. Better record than Hue Jackson. Better record as a HC than what Howard had, who I personally revere. What more exactly are you looking for if you want an NFL guy? Chip Kelly? Of course I'd love him, more than anyone else, but if he isn't available......

Pagano is probably the best opportunity to snag a solid NFL coach. And a solid NFL coach who focuses on teaching and development would absolutely murder it at Miami.

I'm saying Pete Carroll is a much better football mind then Pagano. I don't see any similarities between the two.

I think Pagano would be a 6/10 hire, his ability to put together a staff would be his best attribute IMO. I want an elite hire.

Again, this is my opinion. If people think he is an elite football coach then that is fine.

Advertisement

I'm saying Pete Carroll is a much better football mind then Pagano. I don't see any similarities between the two.

I think Pagano would be a 6/10 hire, his ability to put together a staff would be his best attribute IMO. I want an elite hire.

Again, this is my opinion. If people think he is an elite football coach then that is fine.

I think elite is a relative term though. For us to get a coach that very well may be coveted by an NFL team with an opening following this season should be deemed an elite hire when you consider the University of Miami's history of coach hires.

Again, what exactly about Pete Carroll's coaching career in 1999 would indicate that he was an elite football mind, compared to Pagano? He coached to a worse record in the NFL.

36-19 vs. 33-31........what exactly about Pete Carroll's tenure and record indicated that his football knowledge dwarfs Pagano???

Oh and btw, Carroll walked into a New England team that had been in the Superbowl the year before, after being built up by Parcells.

Pagano walked into a team that was a 2 win team the year prior.

Advertisement
Back