'Chuck Pagano is a Possibility for Miami'

It's perplexing, no, downright baffling to me, that people are dismissing Pagano. Many of the same people who turn around and slow-jerk themselves for guys like Strong or Herman. I like Herman's upside, he's from a great coaching tree and says all the right things, but man -- Pagano is proven. He's been there. Herman's green.

Who are we talking about here?

Butch? The architect of the greatest roster ever, sure. He hasn't coached in 5 years. Will the BOT even entertain him?
Mario? We're going to hire an actual position coach who was fired from a Sun Belt school and whose crowning achievement is an 8-5 season?
Chud? Been a head coach for 1 year of his life and was fired. Personality of my *******. Is Pagano's subordinate. So you'll pass on his BOSS?
Strong? This is a guy I defended, but right now he's got people making Golden-level excuses for him to justify his awful performances in year 2.
Herman? Fuente? I like them, but you'd turn down a winning NFL head coach of this pedigree for "up and comers" from non-power 5 conferences?

Pagano would be amazing. You guys need to get yo shlt together on this one.

He's spent 14 years with Butch Davis and John Harbaugh.
He spent 6 years as a defensive coordinator churning out hit squads.
He's won his NFL Division 3 straight times.
He won 11 games his first 3 NFL seasons.

We're passing on an NFL coach that's 35-17? No thanks to a head coach that's winning at the highest level? And honestly, he's doing that for an organization that's made some awful moves. Their personnel decisions overall are pretty terrible lately. That isn't some amazing roster.

I think saying he could be our Pete Carroll is a great comparison. Except he's actually won in the NFL his first go round.

This right here!!!

Advertisement
And as I've stated many times, Andrew Luck is an overrated turnover MACHINE, as evidenced by his first drive tonight.

"A career position coach"

Except for those 4 years as an NFL HC who went to the AFC championship game.....

I'm trying to say he isn't a genius with Xs and Os. He became a DC at UNC at 47, DC at Baltimore at 51. Position Coach for 22 years.

As opposed to a guy like Pete Carroll who was a NFL DC at 37 and did it for 12 years in the NFL.

And FWIW, he was 2-3 his first year in Indy, Arians was 9-3.

Ok, so let's be clear. Chuck Pagano's HC record in the NFL is better than what Carroll's was. Carroll, who also was in a situation in New England where he had absolutely no say in personnel. Better record than Butch did. Better record than Hue Jackson. Better record as a HC than what Howard had, who I personally revere. What more exactly are you looking for if you want an NFL guy? Chip Kelly? Of course I'd love him, more than anyone else, but if he isn't available......

Pagano is probably the best opportunity to snag a solid NFL coach. And a solid NFL coach who focuses on teaching and development would absolutely murder it at Miami.

I'm saying Pete Carroll is a much better football mind then Pagano. I don't see any similarities between the two.

I think Pagano would be a 6/10 hire, his ability to put together a staff would be his best attribute IMO. I want an elite hire.

Again, this is my opinion. If people think he is an elite football coach then that is fine.

Again, what exactly about Pete Carroll's coaching career in 1999 would indicate that he was an elite football mind, compared to Pagano? He coached to a worse record in the NFL.

36-19 vs. 33-31........what exactly about Pete Carroll's tenure and record indicated that his football knowledge dwarfs Pagano???

I don't know what to tell you, Pete is an elite football mind:

At 49 years old (when Pete went to USC): he had been a NFL DC for 6 , NFL HC for 4, NFL position coach for 6, college DC for 3, college OC for 1, GA for 2.
At 49 years old Pagano: college DC for 2 years (UNLV, UNC), a NFL position coach for 8, college position coach for 11

If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:
For all the Butch Deep Throaters.....people keep throwing around the word ELITE for a coach....how is Butch an elite coach?

He's an elite recruiter, but COACH not so much. Most of the poeple clamoring for Butch probably were to young to remember he was Botch Davis and he was the original banner flying coach. Butch had the same problems at UNC, he is average at everything, but recruiting. So can someone please tell me how he is an elite or even a great well rounded coach?

"A career position coach"

Except for those 4 years as an NFL HC who went to the AFC championship game.....

I'm trying to say he isn't a genius with Xs and Os. He became a DC at UNC at 47, DC at Baltimore at 51. Position Coach for 22 years.

As opposed to a guy like Pete Carroll who was a NFL DC at 37 and did it for 12 years in the NFL.

Ok, so let's be clear. Chuck Pagano's HC record in the NFL is better than what Carroll's was. Carroll, who also was in a situation in New England where he had absolutely no say in personnel. Better record than Butch did. Better record than Hue Jackson. Better record as a HC than what Howard had, who I personally revere. What more exactly are you looking for if you want an NFL guy? Chip Kelly? Of course I'd love him, more than anyone else, but if he isn't available......

Pagano is probably the best opportunity to snag a solid NFL coach. And a solid NFL coach who focuses on teaching and development would absolutely murder it at Miami.

I'm saying Pete Carroll is a much better football mind then Pagano. I don't see any similarities between the two.

I think Pagano would be a 6/10 hire, his ability to put together a staff would be his best attribute IMO. I want an elite hire.

Again, this is my opinion. If people think he is an elite football coach then that is fine.

Again, what exactly about Pete Carroll's coaching career in 1999 would indicate that he was an elite football mind, compared to Pagano? He coached to a worse record in the NFL.

36-19 vs. 33-31........what exactly about Pete Carroll's tenure and record indicated that his football knowledge dwarfs Pagano???

What would make you think Pete Carroll was an elite football mind in 1999? I'd say that Pete Carroll was an elite NFL DC. He fielded #1 defenses in the NFL a couple times.

Advertisement
We keep throwing around the word "elite." What "elite" coach do we realistically have a chance at getting? And dont say Butch. I don't think that in 2015 you can call Butch "elite".

What would make you think Pete Carroll was an elite football mind in 1999? I'd say that Pete Carroll was an elite NFL DC. He fielded #1 defenses in the NFL a couple times.

He fielded the 4th and 2nd ranked defenses with SF.

He fielded the 17th, 10th, 18th, and 6th ranked defense with the Jets.

He wasn't an NFL DC any other time. He was the DBs coach in Minnesota, not the DC.

Last edited:
Advertisement

At 49 years old (when Pete went to USC): he had been a NFL DC for 12 years, NFL HC for 4, college DC for 2 years, college OC for 1 year, GA for 2.
At 49 years old Pagano: college DC for 2 years (UNLV, UNC), a NFL position coach for 8, college position coach for 11

Where are you getting this NFL DC for 12 years from??

At 49 years old (when Pete went to USC): he had been a NFL DC for 12 years, NFL HC for 4, college DC for 2 years, college OC for 1 year, GA for 2.

Where are you getting this NFL DC for 12 years from??

My bad. Edited it. Point still stands.

At the time USC hired Pete Carroll, he had been an NFL HC with a 33-31 record. He had been an NFL DC for 6 years, not 12. He had middling mediocre defenses with the Jets, and had 2 season with SF as the #4 and #2 defense.

At the time Miami would be hiring Pagano, he had been an NFL HC with a 36-19 record. He had been an NFL DC for one season, with the #3 defense.

What exactly about Carroll's resume at the time of his USC hiring was so drastically ahead of Pagano's right now?

What would make you think Pete Carroll was an elite football mind in 1999? I'd say that Pete Carroll was an elite NFL DC. He fielded [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] defenses in the NFL a couple times.

He wasn't an NFL DC any other time. He was the DBs coach in Minnesota, not the DC.

He had the #1 D once in SF. He was considered an elite DC. That's why he got those 2 HC gigs in the NFL. Certainly, his background as an NFL DC was more impressive than Pagano's. Since returning to the NFL, he's had the #1 D at Seattle something like 3 or 4 times.

I like Pagano. I think he's a good football coach. I just don't think the comparison to Carroll is a good one. Their personalities seem pretty different too.

Advertisement
So what DiegoCane is saying is that the 4 years in the early 90's that Carroll averaged a 15th ranked defense with the Jets made Pete Carroll exponentially a more accomplished coach, despite as a HEAD COACH displaying a worse record, and having nearly identical

What would make you think Pete Carroll was an elite football mind in 1999? I'd say that Pete Carroll was an elite NFL DC. He fielded [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] defenses in the NFL a couple times.

He had the #1 D once in SF. He was considered an elite DC. That's why he got those 2 HC gigs in the NFL. Certainly, his background as an NFL DC was more impressive than Pagano's. Since returning to the NFL, he's had the #1 D at Seattle something like 3 or 4 times.

I like Pagano. I think he's a good football coach. I just don't think the comparison to Carroll is a good one. Their personalities seem pretty different too.

You are playing hindsight by using Seattle. At the time of his USC hiring, he was a guy with slightly more DC experience, nearly identical HC experience, and a worse record.

Out of interest, how did Pagano get an NFL HC gig with just 1 year as a DC behind him?

Advertisement
So what DiegoCane is saying is that the 4 years in the early 90's that Carroll averaged a 15th ranked defense with the Jets made Pete Carroll exponentially a more accomplished coach, despite as a HEAD COACH displaying a worse record, and having nearly identical

If you don't see the difference in their resumes and know what that means then I don't know what else to say.

By the time Chuck Pagano became an NFL DC (which he did for 1 year) at 51, Pete Carroll had been:

NFL HC for 4 years
NFL DC for 6 years
College HC for 2 years

You are playing hindsight by using Seattle. At the time of his USC hiring, he was a guy with slightly more DC experience, nearly identical HC experience, and a worse record.

I'm not playing anything. Pete has proven to be an elite defensive mind. His time in Seattle solidifies the fact he's a proven defensive guru.

His NFL HC record was worse than Pagano's when USC hired him. That is a fact.

It's also a fact that Pete is an elite defensive mind. I'm not sure that's proven with Pagano.

Pete is also one of the most charismatic guys in the history of the game. That's also not something Pagano's shown. So, I just don't see the comparison between Carroll and Pagano.

I'll say it again: I like Pagano and think he's a good football coach.

If you don't see the difference in their resumes and know what that means then I don't know what else to say.

By the time Chuck Pagano became an NFL DC (which he did for 1 year) at 51, Pete Carroll had been:

NFL HC for 4 years
NFL DC for 6 years
College HC for 2 years

WHO CARES WHAT AGE THEY WERE???

This isn't about which 51 year old had accomplished more. By age 35 Lane Kiffin had been an NFL HC. What does that matter? What matters is at the time of USC hiring Carroll, he had a resume that is extremely similar to Paganos.

Advertisement
Back