Character

Advertisement
This is one of those “truisms” that has validity, but isn‘t factual.

LEADERSHIP from the very top (Richt, Diaz) is more important than a few strays. At a few other programs these guys would fall in line.
You’re both making valid poinrs, just talking about different things. Character matters. Leadership matters. Leadership can help hold the line for marginal character kids. Lack of leadership sure shines a light on which kids have the character to hold the line themselves. Teams need leadership. NFL teams drafting players need insight into the kids they re considering.

Wait. Some of this ins not accurate. Richt convinced Jarren to stay (i believe) and jeff wasnt begged to come back as much as many didnt want to see the kid in the street.

Manny should’ve of kicked JW off after his knucklehead expedition he went on last spring. Then he should’ve kicked him off again when he went awol during the season but the players talked him out of it.

Maybe manny didn’t technically get on his knees and beg JT but did everything possible to keep him from going to Illinois. Not sure if that was because he cared about him or keeping as much talent around as possible. Especially after his mouth wrote so many checks about TNM.

Encouraging note is that our current FR class, at this point, seems to be full of high character guys with HIGH leadership ceilings: Restrepo, Chantz, Elijah Roberts, TAC, Flagg, Jalen, Chaney, Redding, TVD. Not sure, from a character standpoint, we had a questionable take last year.

Perhaps that's evidence that we have learned our lesson and have the vision and now some action steps to move past the high talent/low character trap that has plagued us.
Identifying something you do poorly and stopping doing it is step 1. Step 2 is learn how to do things better. Absent step 2, we’re just reacting and may create a different sort of problem (talent). Butch saw things in kids others didn’t really grasp. We need to become truly good evaluators, because we have nothing other than proximity to talent in a competitive recruiting area to differentiate us as a program.

Tate leaving during the seasons for “ mental issues” then posting all kinds of pics on the beach with his thot was a horrible look. While his teammates are getting waxed weekly. I’ve made excuses for tater but that’s when I was done with him.
I don't know the actual facts on what happened to him or what he was going through. I'm sympathetic to those suffering mental/emotional issues, especially men.

I have no clue what was going on in his head or what he needed. If he wasn't going through any mental/emotional issues and just wanted to party with his gf, then that's completely different. Again, though, I have no idea, and I doubt anyone here does either.

Advertisement
Lol at him “needing to go somewhere else”.

Dude was lazy as **** , didn’t want to work and if you dare get on to him or call him out he’d go in shell pouting like a baby. So they just let him do whatever the f he wanted when they allowed him back. Richt was over his **** and the baby sitting.

Percy Harvin physically fought his coach. He was suspended often for smoking weed and skipping class. He missed practices. He would curse his receiver coach out at practice when he was being coached hard. There’s a reason why Urban Meyer has multiple championships, a proven strength and conditioning program, and MANAGED/DEVELOPED guys like Harvin & Alex everywhere he’s been, and Mark Richt can’t even sniff his jock.

LEADERSHIP style.

The entire offense under Mark Richt was lazy as ****! Their scheme was lazy - their design was lazy - The approach was lazy - and we even had a fugging FAT GUY RUNNING THE S&C PROGRAM - Who would not even open the gym at times! 😂😂😂😂. Mark Richt was going to promote 2 incompetent position coaches to become our new defensive coordinator after DIAZ left. That’s how ******* LAZY the entire program was UNDER Richt.

And Diaz simply is out of his depth as a HC.

Get the **** out of here talking about “lazy” players under these circumstances. None of our kids are/were being developed on an elite level. None of them!

JT would have been better off somewhere else for multiple reasons.

If half of your team is lazy or lacking character you’re f’d. One here and there is fine , but if you have a culture they’re contained.
I agree. But we had no leadership and poor culture.

Still, you’re looking at it from our perspective. From the NFL’s perspective, poor character kids are a negative, even if they come from teams that held them in check. If they are explosive enough athletically, maybe they take a risk. If they’re marginally athletic and productive, they just move on.

Manny should’ve of kicked JW off after his knucklehead expedition he went on last spring. Then he should’ve kicked him off again when he went awol during the season but the players talked him out of it.

Maybe manny didn’t technically get on his knees and beg JT but did everything possible to keep him from going to Illinois. Not sure if that was because he cared about him or keeping as much talent around as possible. Especially after his mouth wrote so many checks about TNM.
JW and his parents caused some much drama here. Manny was a first year coach, problem is this shouldnt have been his first job but in contrast to richt and golden, hes quick to make changes. JT im not blaming him for, he's doing this more because he thinks hes a lost kid and didnt want him losing his life in east st louis. he took a shot. cant blame him.

Advertisement
You’re both making valid poinrs, just talking about different things. Character matters. Leadership matters. Leadership can help hold the line for marginal character kids. Lack of leadership sure shines a light on which kids have the character to hold the line themselves. Teams need leadership. NFL teams drafting players need insight into the kids they re considering.
I’m not dismissing character, just as you wouldn’t dismiss the chicken or the egg in a chicken/egg argument. But I am saying Leadership comes first (or I’ve just watched too many “Hoosiers”, “Remember the Titans” “Lean on me”, Stand and Deliver“ type movies).

Our HCs have been **** leaders forever. Fans are too easy on HCs. They think they're getting paid $4M per year just to scheme in a lab. Their primary job is leadership and direction. Dabo couldn't scheme his way out of a wet paper bag.

Agreed. When you have a fat slob running your strength and conditioning program and he’s not even showing up for workouts, or to open the gym, how in the **** are you going to blame players for adopting those same work habits?

We’ve had **** leadership from top to bottom - and it naturally rolls down hill.

I posted a few of these and “ some people “ didn’t want to hear it, not kicking JW off bit the staff and allowing JT back killed the excuse of “ building culture. People were so blinded by talent they couldn’t see guys like this kill your locker room and culture. Then young guys see this and they think it’s acceptable.

Thats why Mandy annoys me with all the culture talk , you allowed a guy back that flat out quit during the season and said I’m out. The same guy you saw walk through drills , skip morning workouts and a lot more drama that amazingly was kept in house.

I will give Mandy credit on that , dude keeps stuff in house like it’s North Korea. What’s sad is JW and Thomas are far from the only knuckleheads but they get the most heat. There was divide in the locker room , guys that wanted to win and do things right. Then the ones who want to party and stay high 24/7.

Ironically the guys drafted are the guys who actually cared, busted their *** and were great teammates.

Whats next year look like, is there hope that the culture is shifting? Do the high character guys start outnumbering the partiers or is it more of the same?

QB is a different animal when it comes to transfers. Probably should keep those specific examples out of this discussion when it comes to "quitters" and whatnot.

Its unique and shouldn't be clumped together with other positions.

While I am cool with taking transfers and all, I don't think we should become Last Chance U either.

Advertisement
Tate leaving during the seasons for “ mental issues” then posting all kinds of pics on the beach with his thot was a horrible look. While his teammates are getting waxed weekly. I’ve made excuses for tater but that’s when I was done with him.
I agree here. Franchise may be right that the issues he faced were psychological or whatever. So we don’t need to personalize the criticism, but from a team dynamic, keeping him was a bad call.

I’m not dismissing character, just as you wouldn’t dismiss the chicken or the egg in a chicken/egg argument. But I am saying Leadership comes first (or I’ve just watched too many “Hoosiers”, “Remember the Titans” “Lean on me”, Stand and Deliver“ type movies).
It could be ‘both.’ I have no doubt you’ve watched too many of those types of movies.

Percy Harvin physically fought his coach. He was suspended often for smoking weed and skipping class. He missed practices. He would curse his receiver coach out at practice when he was being coached hard. There’s a reason why Urban Meyer has multiple championships, a proven strength and conditioning program, and MANAGED/DEVELOPED guys like Harvin & Alex everywhere he’s been, and Mark Richt can’t even sniff his jock.

LEADERSHIP style.

The entire offense under Mark Richt was lazy as ****! Their scheme was lazy - their design was lazy - The approach was lazy - and we even had a fugging FAT GUY RUNNING THE S&C PROGRAM - Who would not even open the gym at times! 😂😂😂😂. Mark Richt was going to promote 2 incompetent position coaches to become our new defensive coordinator after DIAZ left. That’s how ******* LAZY the entire program was UNDER Richt.

Get the **** out of here talking about “lazy” players under these circumstances. None of our kids are/were being developed on an elite level. None of them!

JT isn’t Percy or even in his stratosphere lol. Percy was one of the best college players ever. That actually performed on Saturday’s. That’s an all time horrible comparison. Percy could do whatever he wanted because he was the best players on the team that destroyed on Saturday’s.

Also I know multiple guys from those teams since I live in gainesville, those teams had some off the field knuckle heads but on Saturday’s or anything football related was all business. Their was a culture when it came to football, losing was unacceptable. They also had some great leaders to go with the knuckleheads.

Murdering people during the week was fine. They had killers on and off the field.

Advertisement
I agree here. Franchise may be right that the issues he faced were psychological or whatever. So we don’t need to personalize the criticism, but from a team dynamic, keeping him was a bad call.

Yep , let him go. That’s fine, but letting him come back during the year was a bad look. I’m sure his mental issue wasn’t fixed in a few weeks.

LEADERSHIP style.

You’re locked in on one issue and ignoring the signals on other issues. Very common form of cognitive dissonance. Lazy quitters with mediocre talent are lazy quitters with mediocre talent. The NFL wasn’t wrong here.

JT isn’t Percy or even in his stratosphere lol. Percy was one of the best college players ever. That actually performed on Saturday’s. That’s an all time horrible comparison. Percy could do whatever he wanted because he was the best players on the team that destroyed on Saturday’s.

Also I know multiple guys from those teams since I live in gainesville, those teams had some off the field knuckle heads but on Saturday’s or anything football related was all business. Their was a culture when it came to football, losing was unacceptable.

Murdering people during the week was fine. They had killers on and off the field.

Agreed. You can make this kind of exception for max 1 player on your team. And you need to know that they are a special kind of talent. The issue D$ brings up in this post is that we made it part of the culture by making it the norm for players that dont even have the talent level to get drafted.

Advertisement
Back