CBS 2022 mock - Mallory 1st round

I see Mallory as a 2nd round pick. He isn't Pitts but it isn't a good comparison because Pitts is more of a WR.

I see more Ertz and Kittle in Mallory. Can Mallory block? Depends on who you compare him against if it is Pitts the answer is heck yes.

Advertisement
I don't see Mallory as a first round an NFL pick but hope he can make it happen. Just not seeing where this " he is better than Brevin" talk comes from.

He seems like a **** of an athlete for sure, but not a first round NFL pick. Hope he proves me wrong.
He's a better prospect. Might not be a better player today but as a prospect he is better.

It's possible. I hope so.

But ever since a pundit picked Kaaya as 1st rounder loooong before the season started, I have SEVERE trust issues with ANY of their ****eyed judgments or predictions

How the *** does anyone know what kind of season someone will have in a team sport? This one certainly can't be based on history or past performance or even if the offense has been changed to emphasize him.

So I wouldn't bet on 1st round. Probably 2nd or 3rd just based on potential.

If you want to see what a 1st round TE looks like, here’s the guy I mentioned to @HighSeas that I love:

These are his FRESHMAN highlights. Watch him snare everything with his hands and high point it. Legit redzone threat. Works the middle of the field. Not afraid of contact. Mallory can probably beat him in a straight-line race, but has sufficient football speed and I’d argue is a more fluid athlete than Mallory. Competent in-line blocker with good size.

This guy jumped off the screen at me, and I only watched a few A&M games, usually with 3 screens/games on at once. Great players make plays and demand the ball. That just isn’t Mallory. He has some potential, but his ceiling isn’t very high. Hope he proves me wrong, but I’m more excited to see what Arroyo can do.

Advertisement
Mallory will need to stay healthy and come back the following year with a true passer at QB to realize a first round draft grade.

King is a liability as a passer, there, I said it.

If he's drafted this year and is healthy the entire time, no way he'll drop below the third round.

If you want to see what a 1st round TE looks like, here’s the guy I mentioned to @HighSeas that I love:

These are his FRESHMAN highlights. Watch him snare everything with his hands and high point it. Legit redzone threat. Works the middle of the field. Not afraid of contact. Mallory can probably beat him in a straight-line race, but has sufficient football speed and I’d argue is a more fluid athlete than Mallory. Competent in-line blocker with good size.

This guy jumped off the screen at me, and I only watched a few A&M games, usually with 3 screens/games on at once. Great players make plays and demand the ball. That just isn’t Mallory. He has some potential, but his ceiling isn’t very high. Hope he proves me wrong, but I’m more excited to see what Arroyo can do.

Helps that he's got a 3rd round NFL QB throwing the ball to him and a National Championship winning HC / OC scheming him open. He's all alone on most of those clips - there's nothing he does in that highlight reel that Mallory can't do.

LOL @ the arm chair CIS GM's! If Mallory stays healthy for a full season, he's going 1st round in my opinion. Make him a priority and he'll put 1st round performances on tape and numbers on tape.

THE TALENT IS UNDENIABLE!

Mallory will need to stay healthy and come back the following year with a true passer at QB to realize a first round draft grade.

If he's drafted this year and is healthy the entire time, no way he'll drop below the third round.
👎🏿

Advertisement
Helps that he's got a 3rd round NFL QB throwing the ball to him and a National Championship winning HC / OC scheming him open. He's all alone on most of those clips - there's nothing he does in that highlight reel that Mallory can't do.
Wydermyer works the middle of the field on option routes and is a terrific safety valve for his QB. He moves the chains. He also makes contested catches using his hands. PFF had him in the top 20% of TE blockers, and he played a crazy number of snaps, almost as many as Mond.

Mallory does none of that. These 2 kids aren’t in the same weight class.

I agree. If you checked out the Recruiting Board a few years ago @gogeta4 was very high on Wydermyer and sold me on him as I watched more of his game. He's a very skilled, well-rounded player.

You're right that Mallory doesn't have the fluidity of movement, body control and route skills to get open and earn targets like Wydermyer or other top TEs. Honestly Brevin had the same limitations even though he is a fluid mover. You can't just rely on horizontal stuff and coverage breakdowns to get production and expect to be a high pick. That's one of the reasons Jordan fell to the 5th.

If Mallory shows well this year as a blocker he will be coveted as a Y TE who can get vertical, like a Vance McDonald type perhaps. That would put him in play starting in the 3rd round.

Arroyo is pretty similar to Mallory but has better ball skills and a bigger catch radius.

****, just searched Wydermyer’s name on CIS. Didn’t realize he took an official to UM. I stopped following recruiting a few years ago, after Jobe and the rest of the DBs bailed on us... don’t have the time or stomach to be continually let down.

fans GIF

Advertisement
This is very good. With Mallory and Nelson especially, since we missed out on Evan Neal who also project to go in the same round, projecting high in the draft. It’s good that we get actual “home grown” UM players drafted high in the drafts outside of transfer players. It says a lot about the state of the program in my opinion.

Advertisement

AND.......almost was a UM commit.
We were all over this kid and i loved his film similar to how i love Arroyo's

IMHO, Mallory is going to have a great season. Mallory isn’t a good blocker, but neither was Njoku at UM and he was a first rounder. Mallory is taller and faster than Njoku. Mallory is 6’5”, and Njoku is 6’4”. Njoku ran a 4.64 40 yd dash, and Mallory is projected to 4.53-4.64.

Mallory has the tools. He should get drafted high—second day at the latest

I agree. If you checked out the Recruiting Board a few years ago @gogeta4 was very high on Wydermyer and sold me on him as I watched more of his game. He's a very skilled, well-rounded player.

You're right that Mallory doesn't have the fluidity of movement, body control and route skills to get open and earn targets like Wydermyer or other top TEs. Honestly Brevin had the same limitations even though he is a fluid mover. You can't just rely on horizontal stuff and coverage breakdowns to get production and expect to be a high pick. That's one of the reasons Jordan fell to the 5th.

If Mallory shows well this year as a blocker he will be coveted as a Y TE who can get vertical, like a Vance McDonald type perhaps. That would put him in play starting in the 3rd round.

Arroyo is pretty similar to Mallory but has better ball skills and a bigger catch radius.
You remembered.

I was a big Wydermyer fan. Hes doing alot of the same things he did on his hs film currently...along with putting ont he muscle mass.

I feel like EVERY single class we should be in on the top 5 te's in the country. Like im not into taking marginal guys..thats a position we should be National with every year.

Advertisement
Back