CBS 2022 mock - Mallory 1st round

He’s never gotten a chance to high point the ball or use his height / athletic ability. Lashlee didn’t impress me how he used the two te’s together. His route concepts didn’t blow me away either , it’s not malzahn bad , but still. Mallory is 6’5 255 with good athletic ability. He should constantly be motioning / flexing out wide in the red zone. Leaving BJ inline , then throw jump balls or post ups to Mallory if he has a smaller defender on him. Being In 22 personnel inside the five would’ve be an issue with our two te’s. The defense would have to go big because of the formation then you’d have our te’s on higher players or a cb/s on Mallory flanked out.

Mallory and BJ are different players , so hopefully we don’t use Mallory the exact same way as Brevin.
I am in agreement re: Lashlee - not only the Brevin/Mallory scheming failure, but the RBs should've been used in tandem better as well. Also agree on the route tree... Lashlee showed the ability to scheme guys open, but he didn't really show the ability to maximize the players' abilities and create space. The King jab step was his most effective means of scheming guys open.

That said, it doesn't excuse Mallory's lack of production. Chaney and Knighton saw plenty of snaps as Fr. That leads me to believe the best guy played. Brevin went in the 5th round and Mallory couldn't pass him? I get the injury concerns dropped Brevin's stock, but those same injuries also gave Mallory a huge opportunity to steal his spot. Isn't there some saying in the 30 for 30 documentary, something like "if we got hurt, we knew we would lose our starting spot so we played through pain"? Now I'm supposed to believe Mallory is better than Brevin?

So far I see a Greentree All-Star. By no means am I writing him off, but he needs to show it to me.

Advertisement
I am in agreement re: Lashlee - not only the Brevin/Mallory scheming failure, but the RBs should've been used in tandem better as well. Also agree on the route tree... Lashlee showed the ability to scheme guys open, but he didn't really show the ability to maximize the players' abilities and create space. The King jab step was his most effective means of scheming guys open.

That said, it doesn't excuse Mallory's lack of production. Chaney and Knighton saw plenty of snaps as Fr. That leads me to believe the best guy played. Brevin went in the 5th round and Mallory couldn't pass him? I get the injury concerns dropped Brevin's stock, but those same injuries also gave Mallory a huge opportunity to steal his spot. Isn't there some saying in the 30 for 30 documentary, something like "if we got hurt, we knew we would lose our starting spot so we played through pain"? Now I'm supposed to believe Mallory is better than Brevin?

So far I see a Greentree All-Star. By no means am I writing him off, but he needs to show it to me.
You‘re comparing rb’s to a te, they’re literally just handed the bal. not exactly apples to apples. Mallory can’t throw himself the ball and he was open a lot. I’ve actually posted this multiple times , he’s constantly open but king would stare down Brevin then maybe make another read then leave the pocket.

Brevin was a better blocker and was more complete. But it’s criminal at the snaps hes gotten when everyone around the program knows he’s a walking mismatch. We should’ve been in 12 personnel a lot with the quality at the position.

This year I expect him to replace BJ as the safety blanket for king. If healthy he’ll have a big season. It’s his time and will be the dude for the first time in his career.

Zion, Bolden, & Mallory are real deal big time prospects. We're getting there fellas. Slowly but surely. We had 2 this year in the first & at least 1 of those 3 will be next year.

I don't see Mallory as a first round an NFL pick but hope he can make it happen. Just not seeing where this " he is better than Brevin" talk comes from.

He seems like a **** of an athlete for sure, but not a first round NFL pick. Hope he proves me wrong.

Advertisement
If he has a pretty good year anything is possible , not a great year , just pretty good. He’s a former track guy, he’ll blow mofos away at the combine when they see his big *** run and jump. He’s a gms wet dream for a new era right end. Just stay injury free. First round will be difficult with his injury history but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Now I'm supposed to believe Mallory is better than Brevin?

I thought the offense looked less clunky when Mallory was in and Jordan was out. With Mallory, Lashlee seemed to use the TE more like a WR. When Jordan came back, Mallory got less PT and I didn't get the sense that Lashlee was using Jordan like a WR. That doesn't necessarily mean that Jordan was the better player , just that Lashlee was more comfortable with a traditional TE. I suspect that even if Miami had Brevin Jordan and Kyle Pitts on the same roster, Lashlee would still have Jordan as TE1.

I thought the offense looked less clunky when Mallory was in and Jordan was out. With Mallory, Lashlee seemed to use the TE more like a WR. When Jordan came back, Mallory got less PT and I didn't get the sense that Lashlee was using Jordan like a WR. That doesn't necessarily mean that Jordan was the better player , just that Lashlee was more comfortable with a traditional TE. I suspect that even if Miami had Brevin Jordan and Kyle Pitts on the same roster, Lashlee would still have Jordan as TE1.
Brevins run blocking wasn’t great but it was decidedly better than Mallory. Even though he has improved quite a bit. Brevin is nowhere in the same stratosphere as an athlete or route runner. Its a shame they didn’t play more together , both brought different skill sets to the table. They’d created a lot of issues for the defense.

Mallory and Jordan both had similar issues.
Always hurt, not the greatest blockers, and not the greatest hands.

if Mallory can get in shape and catch the ******* ball consistently he’ll be late 1st rounder.

Lashlee also needs to get his head out of his *** as a play caller. Guys like Jordan/ Mallory need 10-12 targets a game.

Advertisement
If he gives me just one more play like that 74 yard reception against Louisville that got called back, I'll be happy. He tossed that DB aside like a rag doll.

You‘re comparing rb’s to a te, they’re literally just handed the bal. not exactly apples to apples. Mallory can’t throw himself the ball and he was open a lot. I’ve actually posted this multiple times , he’s constantly open but king would stare down Brevin then maybe make another read then leave the pocket.

Brevin was a better blocker and was more complete. But it’s criminal at the snaps hes gotten when everyone around the program knows he’s a walking mismatch. We should’ve been in 12 personnel a lot with the quality at the position.

This year I expect him to replace BJ as the safety blanket for king. If healthy he’ll have a big season. It’s his time and will be the dude for the first time in his career.
I wasn’t comparing TEs to RBs. I was saying that Lashlee should have (and prior to the season, said he would) use 2 TE sets and 2 RB sets.

As to Brevin being a better blocker and more complete, it serves to prove my point... remember, this thread is bc Mallory was projected 1st round. If brevin went 5th round, that’s a very large leap to think Mallory has a chance to go on the 1st day.

It's CIS

Advertisement
I don't see Mallory as a first round an NFL pick but hope he can make it happen. Just not seeing where this " he is better than Brevin" talk comes from.

He seems like a **** of an athlete for sure, but not a first round NFL pick. Hope he proves me wrong.

Mallory, as it stands now, is just another Greentree All-American. He's shown next to nothing in three years on the field. His first two years he had a LOT of drops. The only reason it doesn't stand out is because we play Pope and Wiggins so frequently and they drop more balls than a school for adolescent boys.

Advertisement
You think the Miami OC would not use the highest drafted NFL TE in the history of the NFL more than Jordan?

If so we should fire Lashlee now.

Arroyo is that next phenom at TE as well....hope to see him this upcoming season. Kid is going to be a real good player
That kid looks like a beast. Brevin is more natural talent than Mallory but he’s not hungry enough based on what I saw

I think Kings height plays into some of it , after he goes through first couple reads he tends to roll out or leave the pocket. When the routes start gaining depth he might have issues seeing. That’s why I always mention he causes as many sacks as he prevents. They cancel each other out. He’ll have a good pocket and leave casing a sack or pressure. It’s not always the ol.
Don’t say this. Everytime I say he’s an athlete playing qb. They freak out

Advertisement
Back