CBS 2022 mock - Mallory 1st round

You think the Miami OC would not use the highest drafted NFL TE in the history of the NFL more than Jordan?

If so we should fire Lashlee now.

You'd think that someone has thought that maybe, just maybe, Lashlee is only a year into installing his system, with a so-so OL and WR's who can't catch the ball worth a ****?

The "it's Lashlee's fault" nonsense is f@#!ing absurd.

Advertisement
I wasn’t comparing TEs to RBs. I was saying that Lashlee should have (and prior to the season, said he would) use 2 TE sets and 2 RB sets.

As to Brevin being a better blocker and more complete, it serves to prove my point... remember, this thread is bc Mallory was projected 1st round. If brevin went 5th round, that’s a very large leap to think Mallory has a chance to go on the 1st day.
Odds are he doesn’t go that high . But theres not many 6’5 255 pound guys that run and jump like him. He has be more consistent , get better in some areas but he’s a super talent. This will be his first year of being the man , there’s plenty of guys through history who took advantage of that one year. **** Miami has had a bunch. His problem is the same as brevin , being banged up. That’s the biggest issue.

I don't see Mallory as a first round an NFL pick but hope he can make it happen. Just not seeing where this " he is better than Brevin" talk comes from.

He seems like a **** of an athlete for sure, but not a first round NFL pick. Hope he proves me wrong.
If he has a really good year he absolutely could. He’s going to test out of this world like Mike Gesicki but Will is able to lineup in line from day 1 unlike Mike. Hindsight 20 20 if teams thought Mike Gesicki was going to be such a vertical threat down the field he would’ve been a first rounder.

Advertisement
Hasn't displayed half the athleticism Jordan has.
How many times have you seen Brevin go 60-70 yards pulling away from db’s? Then throwing one out of bounds. Last time I checked that wasn’t green tree. Athletically Brevin is nowhere in his universe. Brevin is a more complete player . Being a better player doesn’t mean better athletically.
Mallory, as it stands now, is just another Greentree All-American. He's shown next to nothing in three years on the field. His first two years he had a LOT of drops. The only reason it doesn't stand out is because we play Pope and Wiggins so frequently and they drop more balls than a school for adolescent boys.
What’s a lot of drops? 2-3? I must’ve missed this unreal amount of drops his first two years, especially since he didn’t play much at all his first year.

You think the Miami OC would not use the highest drafted NFL TE in the history of the NFL more than Jordan?

If so we should fire Lashlee now.

Did you think the Miami OC would give so many snaps to two of the least reliable WRs we have seen in recent years, game after game? Lashlee has a system he likes to run and certain personnel he likes to use. As for firing him- I don't think he deserves to be fired, but I also don't think he's irreplaceable. He's decent but there are lots of decent OCs out there.

If he has a really good year he absolutely could. He’s going to test out of this world like Mike Gesicki but Will is able to lineup in line from day 1 unlike Mike. Hindsight 20 20 if teams thought Mike Gesicki was going to be such a vertical threat down the field he would’ve been a first rounder.
His testing is what folks are forgetting , find me another kid his size that runs like him and was a hurdler in hs. Beating kids smaller than him. That’s the point, he brings something very few te prospects can. Freak athlete at the position. That’s why I say he needs to have one pretty good year and stay healthy. Mix in the testing and anything can happen. That’s a lot of if’s but it’s far from crazy.

There’s been plenty of guys at Miami to wait their turn behind a really good player and end up just as good or better in the draft. Too many to count.

Advertisement
Did you think the Miami OC would give so many snaps to two of the least reliable WRs we have seen in recent years, game after game? Lashlee has a system he likes to run and certain personnel he likes to use. As for firing him- I don't think he deserves to be fired, but I also don't think he's irreplaceable. He's decent but there are lots of decent OCs out there.
Lashlee wants to run the ball, he’ll always choose the better blocking te. He’s a malzahn protege. That still doesn’t explain why he didn’t adjust his scheme yo more 12 personnel to get his two most dynamic receiving threats on the field. Thats not asking a lot.

Lashlee wants to run the ball, he’ll always choose the better blocking te. He’s a malzahn protege. That still doesn’t explain why he didn’t adjust his scheme yo more 12 personnel to get his two most dynamic receiving threats on the field. Thats not asking a lot.

Sonny Dykes literally stated that he was going to go back to a more traditional air raid after Lashlee left. As you said, Lashlee has more run based based approach, which is why it's not out of the question that he would have had Jordan as TE1 over Pitts if they were on the same roster. Pitts has absolutely no blocking ability whatsoever.

Sonny Dykes literally stated that he was going to go back to a more traditional air raid after Lashlee left. As you said, Lashlee has more run based based approach, which is why it's not out of the question that he would have had Jordan as TE1 over Pitts if they were on the same roster. Pitts has absolutely no blocking ability whatsoever.
I see Pitts on a moped in Gainesville all the time , if that’s a te im Mary Popins. His blocking makes Brevin look like a road grader. He’s a wr that plays a flex te. He looks like a stick.

Last edited:
I don't see Will Mallory going in the 1st round. He's a poor man's Greg Olsen. Lack of wiggle and flexibility being the primary issues. He's not a fluid athlete whatsoever. He would have to put up insane numbers (45+ recs, 600+ yards, 8+ TDs) to even get into 1st round consideration. As it stands right now, I would project Mallory as a 5th - 6th rounder just based on size and potential but there isn't enough film of Mallory making a play. He was schemed open a lot this past season. I haven't seen Mallory making contested catches on a regular basis. I haven't seen Mallory be a seam eater by attacking the seams the way a TE his size should. Mallory is a poor blocker and just isn't physical enough at the point of attack to be a serviceable in-line blocker. Not to forget the myriad of injuries that Mallory has dealt with while being.

A good year by Mallory will boost him but 1st round would be a pleasant surprise for me. I'm a Cane at heart so I root for all of our players to be successful but I try to remain realistic in my expectations.

Advertisement
His testing is what folks are forgetting , find me another kid his size that runs like him and was a hurdler in hs. Beating kids smaller than him. That’s the point, he brings something very few te prospects can. Freak athlete at the position. That’s why I say he needs to have one pretty good year and stay healthy. Mix in the testing and anything can happen. That’s a lot of if’s but it’s far from crazy.

There’s been plenty of guys at Miami to wait their turn behind a really good player and end up just as good or better in the draft. Too many to count.
I don’t see freak athlete

I don’t see freak athlete
I’ve seen him run track and hurdles. Kids that size don’t move like that. For a te he’s a freak. People around the program say the same thing. That doesn’t mean he’s a great football player. Tangibles isn’t the end all.

Consistency and health will determine how big of a year he has. If he does stay healthy I’d bet on him.

I’ve seen him run track and hurdles. Kids that size don’t move like that. For a te he’s a freak. People around the program say the same thing. That doesn’t mean he’s a great football player. Tangibles isn’t the end all.

Consistency and health will determine how big of a year he has. If he does stay healthy I’d bet on him.
Yea cause it definitely hasn’t translated to the field yet

Advertisement
If he gives me just one more play like that 74 yard reception against Louisville that got called back, I'll be happy. He tossed that DB aside like a rag doll.
That play showed a glimpse of what he's capable of YAC wise. Lashlee needs to scheme more opportunities for him.

Yea cause it definitely hasn’t translated to the field yet
No doubt , he’s just had some flashes.

My whole argument isn’t he’ll be a first rounder I’m just saying it’s not crazy for cbs to project it, he has a lot to work with physically. If healthy the stats will be there. That’s their thinking.

I see Pitts on a moped in Gainesville all the time , if that’s a te im Mary Popins. His blocking makes Brevin look like a road grader. He’s a wr that plays a flex te. He looks like a stick.
Come on now. You’re gonna call Mallory a freak athlete and **** on Pitts?

Taking the orange and green blinders off, it’s an absurd comparison. Pitts has the measurable and the production. Mallory on his best day couldn’t hold Pitts’ jock.

1) TEs shouldn't go round 1, unless you're in a situation like the Chiefs, Bills and Bucs were this year when you only have 2/3 holes in your roster.
2) Unless he has a Pitts like year I don't see him going top 50, probably RD 3/4 with a good and injury free year.
3) Jury is still out on Lashlee's use of TEs, especially as #1 target.

I really hope we get to see the player some are tauting, that's a beast and an AA, he showed flashes last year, but not nearly enough. I guess we will see.

Advertisement
Back