CBS 2022 mock - Mallory 1st round

scrantoncane

Sophomore

Enough has been said about the accuracy of these early mocks by myself and others, but nice to see a pundit making his own projections. 3 Canes in his top 100.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mallory has and always had more potential then Jordan IMO
I’d have to go back and watch his highlight reel, but I’m not sure he uses his size to his advantage. Could be wrong, but I don’t recall (m)any contested catches where he high-pointed the ball.

Being a below-average blocker in the traditional role/definition of a TE, he needs to show me more from a playmaking perspective. Jordan missed a ton of games, and Mallory got snaps even when Jordan was healthy. He never really dominated a game or became a focal point of the defense.

Not sure how you can give him a 1st round projection right now. The production just isn’t there.

Advertisement
I’d have to go back and watch his highlight reel, but I’m not sure he uses his size to his advantage. Could be wrong, but I don’t recall (m)any contested catches where he high-pointed the ball.

Being a below-average blocker in the traditional role/definition of a TE, he needs to show me more from a playmaking perspective. Jordan missed a ton of games, and Mallory got snaps even when Jordan was healthy. He never really dominated a game or became a focal point of the defense.

Not sure how you can give him a 1st round projection right now. The production just isn’t there.
He’s never gotten a chance to high point the ball or use his height / athletic ability. Lashlee didn’t impress me how he used the two te’s together. His route concepts didn’t blow me away either , it’s not malzahn bad , but still. Mallory is 6’5 255 with good athletic ability. He should constantly be motioning / flexing out wide in the red zone. Leaving BJ inline , then throw jump balls or post ups to Mallory if he has a smaller defender on him. Being In 22 personnel inside the five would’ve be an issue with our two te’s. The defense would have to go big because of the formation then you’d have our te’s on higher players or a cb/s on Mallory flanked out.

Mallory and BJ are different players , so hopefully we don’t use Mallory the exact same way as Brevin.

Last edited:
Only if the QB can get him the ball. Lord knows he's open a lot.
That’s the biggest issue , Mallory stayed open. But rarely was the first or second read. It was Brevin then pope. Especially early on. There’s no lb that can stick him in space , none. He’s a real mismatch. Too athletic for lb’s and some safeties. Too big for db’s.

Hes been very under utilized.

That’s the biggest issue , Mallory stayed open. But rarely was the first or second read. It was Brevin then pope. Especially early on. There’s no lb that can stick him in space , none. He’s a real mismatch. Too athletic for lb’s and some safeties. Too big for db’s.

Criminally under-utilized. I'm having a hard time remembering a TE, or anyone really, that is as open as he is as often, with so few targets. He's a matchup nightmare. More like a matchup night terror.

Here's hoping he explodes this year, but it's going to take Lashlee and King figuring out where he is on the field and taking advantage of his ability. I swear, in the right system, he puts up 1st round numbers. Being an afterthought that gets two targets a game won't get him drafted as high as he deserves. Maybe now that Jordan is gone he will get the touches he deserves.

Don't get me wrong, Jordan was a special talent as well and deserved the ball, but Mallory was open a LOT and didn't get looks. Here's hoping he's open a lot this year and the ball heads his way. Unless Pope is wide open at the 5.... wait.... never mind.

Criminally under-utilized. I'm having a hard time remembering a TE, or anyone really, that is as open as he is as often, with so few targets. He's a matchup nightmare. More like a matchup night terror.

Here's hoping he explodes this year, but it's going to take Lashlee and King figuring out where he is on the field and taking advantage of his ability. I swear, in the right system, he puts up 1st round numbers. Being an afterthought that gets two targets a game won't get him drafted as high as he deserves. Maybe now that Jordan is gone he will get the touches he deserves.

Don't get me wrong, Jordan was a special talent as well and deserved the ball, but Mallory was open a LOT and didn't get looks. Here's hoping he's open a lot this year and the ball heads his way. Unless Pope is wide open at the 5.... wait.... never mind.
I think Kings height plays into some of it , after he goes through first couple reads he tends to roll out or leave the pocket. When the routes start gaining depth he might have issues seeing. That’s why I always mention he causes as many sacks as he prevents. They cancel each other out. He’ll have a good pocket and leave casing a sack or pressure. It’s not always the ol.

Advertisement
I hope Mallory finally has the kind of season all of us expected when he was recruited, but he is even less durable than Brevin. Mallory has played second fiddle to Jordan, but still, Brevin almost matched Will's entire career production this past season alone. He could have a 1,000 yard 8+ TD season and I still don't think he will sniff the 1st round. Sure, his size/speed and overall measurables give him the better long-term NFL potential, but the injury history will be a major red flag. He missed most of the Spring plus the Spring game already going into a season where he is expected to be "the guy" and a high-priority target of the offense. I don't recall him ever being "healthy" except maybe the first few games of his freshman season.

His body-type and playing style kind of remind me of Travis Kelce, but I think his ceiling is a poor man's Kelce, which would still be a good player who can have a long career. TE's do not go 1st round very often, the ones that do are generally elite athletes and/or have big-time production.

I think Kings height plays into some of it , after he goes through first couple reads he tends to roll out or leave the pocket. When the routes start gaining depth he might have issues seeing. That’s why I always mention he causes as many sacks as he prevents. They cancel each other out. He’ll have a good pocket and leave casing a sack or pressure. It’s not always the ol.
Agree 100%. I like King, his leadership, good decision making, etc. Problem is, his decisions are limited, I believe, because he can't see the entire field. So while he doesn't make a lot of bad throws, he doesn't see many that are there to be had.

IF Lashlee can get him into a position to see those mismatches, our O might just open up and look lethal against more than just the bottom feeders. If not, I expect big days here and there, surrounded by a lot of, "****, get it in gear already!"

Advertisement

Mallory shouldn’t leave the field. When he’s not lined up tight, he should be in the slot. Every play.

Advertisement
Back