Carey update

Advertisement
He comin?!? We ***** or what?!? Think we have a legit chance at this kid. Dad and family are legacy, still a huge presence in the community. Kid is a 1 and done so, doesn't really matter if he goes to Duke, UNC, or us. Coach L is a quality coach. We play in the ACC against top competition. Carey would be the premier star on the team opposed to being 1 of many a Duke or UNC...I am going bold and think we snag him
Moto, I'm still trying to understand what goes in elite recruit's heads, i.e., what you said about why a top player wouldn't want to be the focus of a team, rather than a cog.

A great example is Oklahoma's Trae Young. He dominated the attention of the whole college basketball world in November and December last year and left an impression that, even when he cooled off, still remained strong. He ended up averaging 27 ppg on 20 shots! Does anyone think he would have gotten 20 shots a game at Duke or Kentucky? No way.

Moto, I'm still trying to understand what goes in elite recruit's heads, i.e., what you said about why a top player wouldn't want to be the focus of a team, rather than a cog.

A great example is Oklahoma's Trae Young. He dominated the attention of the whole college basketball world in November and December last year and left an impression that, even when he cooled off, still remained strong. He ended up averaging 27 ppg on 20 shots! Does anyone think he would have gotten 20 shots a game at Duke or Kentucky? No way.

This is true. While the plurality of 1 and dones seem to go to Duke, Kentucky or Kansas (assuming this...haven't run the numbers), a good number of them also choose lesser programs where they will be more likely to stand out (or they get paid, or their dads get jobs etc.) (Porter, Beasley, Simmons).

Exactly! I think it all depends on the personality of the recruit and how far along in their development they are. Some kids are scared to be the focal piece of a team. They realize that teams will game plan against them and either don't think they can successfully adapt to that type of stress game in and game out against top competition, or they are lazy and don't want to deal with the extra work.

Bruce Brown and Lonnie Walker are good examples for elite recruits to see that they can prosper at UM with Coach L, good treatment, and a nice NBA deal. Got a good feeling about VCareyJr.

Advertisement
Bruce Brown and Lonnie Walker are good examples for elite recruits to see that they can prosper at UM with Coach L, good treatment, and a nice NBA deal. Got a good feeling about VCareyJr.
Neither of them, especially Bruce brown, had anywhere near the hoopla or ranking out of high school as Carey Jr. does.

Last edited:
Advertisement
2018 draft: #1 Pick came from Zona
2017- University of Washington
2016- LSU
2015- #1 Kentucky, #2 OSU
2014- Kansas
2013- UNLV

Doesn't matter where you go, NBA will notice. Should do Daddy proud and choose Miami, he'll still end up going number 1.

Neither of them, especially Bruce brown, had anywhere near the hoopla or ranking out of high school as Carey Jr. does.
Agree on BB. Lonnie, OTOH, was seen by everyone as being, like VC Jr, truly exceptional. If you read a wide range of comments, Carey has some detractors. Not in terms of his talent and potential, but about his disappearing (wandering around the perimeter at 6'10, 270) in games, seeming lack of motivation at times, etc. Maybe he's just bored with the level of competition.

Whatever the case, none of the "experts" put him in the Anthony Davis, Marvin Bagley, or DeAndre Ayton recruit category. Part of that may be the historical wariness about Florida HS players living up to expectations.

Hope we get the chance to see him in orange and green and proving just how great he is!

Advertisement
I'm thinking these high profile recruiting battles never seem to turn out well for us, but I remain optimistic.

The fact that we're in the game is great. I truly don't expect anything to come of this. Seems like he gave us the courtesy/family hometown visit and nothing more. Maybe I'll be wrong this time.

We definitely have come a LONG way under Coach L in terms of recruiting the most sought after talent. That can only be good!

Advertisement
Some positive news in our side of this is he went to a party on Friday night and had a good *** time.

Saturday night supposedly went to steakhouse for dinner as part of OV and Jadon Haselwood was there with his fam.

Who knows if we can get him but I think we have a lot to sell him. We already have two top 100 players in this year's recruiting class and we could also add Walker who I believe he plays with on AAU or some other circuit who is another top 100 player. Then we have IMO a future star in Lykes where by his Junior year he will be a star. Gak has a ton of talent and then you have good role players like DJ, Wardenburg, and Mack to compliment the studs. So he can go to Duke or Kentucky and play with talent all over the place and not shine as much while being just another stud in their program. Or he can come to Miami where he will be the best recruit we ever gotten, still play with a very good team who always competes with Duke, and up hold his father's legacy. Should be fun to se

Who knows if we can get him but I think we have a lot to sell him. We already have two top 100 players in this year's recruiting class and we could also add Walker who I believe he plays with on AAU or some other circuit who is another top 100 player. Then we have IMO a future star in Lykes where by his Junior year he will be a star. Gak has a ton of talent and then you have good role players like DJ, Wardenburg, and Mack to compliment the studs. So he can go to Duke or Kentucky and play with talent all over the place and not shine as much while being just another stud in their program. Or he can come to Miami where he will be the best recruit we ever gotten, still play with a very good team who always competes with Duke, and up hold his father's legacy. Should be fun to se

McGusty was a top-50ish player coming out of HS as well.

Advertisement
Back