Carey update

Problem2

All-American
Premium
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...las-friday-vernon-carey-draws-blue-blood-eyes

Since the spring evaluation periods began three weeks ago, Carey has hosted Duke, Kentucky, Miami, a place that his father played his college football at, and North Carolina, for in-home visits, as he assessed which each are offering.
IN HIS OWN WORDS

UNC: “They develop their big guys and are talking about how they could use me, kind of like how they used Luke Maye this year and Tyler Hansbrough
back in the day; they have just been trying to make those kind of comparisons with me.”

Kentucky: “Coach (Kenny) Payne came down to see me; I think Coach Cal (John Calipari) has surgery or something, but he just said that he is really interested in me and just said that since I had already been on two visits there during my ninth grade year, you have seen what we are like, but I have also talked to
Bam (Adebayo) a little. He just says Kentucky is a really good program and he could see me playing there.”

Duke: “Coach K came down and it was the first time me seeing him in person and talking to him in person, so it was a really good experience; he just talked about life and basketball. He said that I am a special player and hearing that from him means a lot and that I could be a go-to guy if I keep working.”

Miami: “They were at our shootaround before this live session. They just come down whenever they can and Coach (Jim) Larranaga just says that I could have a legacy there since my father went there and I could be the man there.”

Michigan State: “Coach (Tom) Izzo, he tries to get with me every day, along with Coach (Dane) Fife and the rest of the staff. They are just saying that I could be a really good guy there at their program.”
WHAT'S NEXT?

Carey has no intentions of narrowing his school list down any time soon as he is rather focused on completing his senior travel ball season first. “I was thinking about cutting my list down again last week but I will hold off probably until after my travel season,” he said, as the same goes for taking any more visits where he spent his first official visit on Michigan State back in February. “No visits set up for now. I probably won’t do any more visits until after all my sessions following July.
RIVALS' REACTION

Carey has shown major progressions since this time last year where he has developed his body further, of which he utilized in playing harder for longer periods on Friday evening, bettered his second leap around the basket tremendously, and has become much better with his shot selection, rarely settling for the perimeter attempt.
Expect for his recruitment to bleed further into the summer months and a final list to be produce some time around August. While things remain open for others to jump into the mix, this one looks to be a battle between Duke, Kentucky, Miami, UNC and Michigan State, as neither of the five are expected to invest any less time or attention in the recruitment of the top ranked junior.

Let us pray

Advertisement
Advertisement
Word from the Duke insiders is that there's a good chance Carey reclassifies, like Bagley, and goes there this Fall.

Honestly, who cares though. The kid will have 1 decent year and then leave.

Advertisement
Word from the Duke insiders is that there's a good chance Carey reclassifies, like Bagley, and goes there this Fall.

Honestly, who cares though. The kid will have 1 decent year and then leave.
Agree with this. Actually don't think it'll be a huge miss versus a pretty good player that plays 3 years or more here. Now his teammate Barnes.... that's a player

He's the #1 player in the country

Surely you guys jest. It's gonna be a huge miss

Of course its a huge miss, but you must not know the narrative on this board. People want to use the Dan Mullet method of recruiting and get the 2 stars that "fit into Ls system" and let the 5 stars go to other teams.

He's clearly not interested in coming here, so I no longer see this as a "miss." Gisele married Tom Brady instead of me. Is that a "miss" on my part?

Advertisement

This isn't football. You're talking about a 1 year rental. And he's a big, so he's unlikely to have the instant impact of a top ranked guard/wing.

Plus if you've watched Carey, you'd know he's not exactly Marvin Bagley or Deandre Ayton. He's a great low-post prospect, but he isn't a freak athlete.

Of course it would be great to land him, but we're never going to be able to build the programthrough 1 and dones like him

Advertisement
This isn't football. You're talking about a 1 year rental. And he's a big, so he's unlikely to have the instant impact of a top ranked guard/wing.

Plus if you've watched Carey, you'd know he's not exactly Marvin Bagley or Deandre Ayton. He's a great low-post prospect, but he isn't a freak athlete.

Of course it would be great to land him, but we're never going to be able to build the programthrough 1 and dones like him

The only way to successfully build a program around 1-and-dones is if you can establish a pipeline of them year after year because every season you are starting over. Seems like L gave that strategy a whirl with Walker IV, but the FBI thing quickly killed it.

I'm sure if Coach L had another "one and done" receptive to coming to UM, he'd pull the trigger immediately. No change in his recruiting strategy.

The only way to successfully build a program around 1-and-dones is if you can establish a pipeline of them year after year because every season you are starting over. Seems like L gave that strategy a whirl with Walker IV, but the FBI thing quickly killed it.
This.

Also, an occasional 1 and done, if timed up right with the rest of your roster, can help you make a run in the tourney and have a good season. The more seasons we have that are successful and gives us more visibility will help us land higher quality prospects going forward. If I'm Coach L, I only take a kid that's a 1-year rental if all of the other pieces are there for a run. One could argue that this past year should have been exactly that with Lonnie, but the Brown injury and other pieces not quite falling into place spoiled that.

I'm sure if Coach L had another "one and done" receptive to coming to UM, he'd pull the trigger immediately. No change in his recruiting strategy.

Sure, why not? But the staff is better off spending their time and energy on 3-4 year guys.

Advertisement
Back