Carey update

I'm sure if Coach L had another "one and done" receptive to coming to UM, he'd pull the trigger immediately. No change in his recruiting strategy.
I think Walker doing well in NBA would be a big help to coach L pulling more one yr players.

Advertisement
For a program like ours, you're hoping the once-in-a-blue-moon one and done type you get will be the player to "put you over the top." Darius Rice and Lonnie were, unfortunately, just not those guys -- illustrating that there are major differences in abilities among 5 star players. Dioesn't mean you stop pursuing them.

Advertisement
L and Caputo have been on VC2 for nearly 3 years now and Coach K just finds time in the past 3 weeks to meet the kid for the first time???? Now we think he's all Duke??? LMAO. V loves L and our school and to say we have no shot is mis-informed. I think we have a very good shot. Nobody thought we had a shot at landing Huell, Brown or Lonnie yet when we got all three the narrative changed to "Miami is now recruiting at an elite level"

The FBI bullshizmo screwed us this year in recruiting and likely made VC2 nervous but that picture has changed dramatically in the past few weeks. We nabbed 3 highly sought after transfers in 10 days and put the CBB world on notice that Miami is still a force to be reckoned with.

Let it play out, bumps and all.

For a program like ours, you're hoping the once-in-a-blue-moon one and done type you get will be the player to "put you over the top." Darius Rice and Lonnie were, unfortunately, just not those guys -- illustrating that there are major differences in abilities among 5 star players. Dioesn't mean you stop pursuing them.

Of course you'd take a 5*, I'm not disputing that. The question is whether all the time and energy is worth it, vs going after guys like Lykes, Reed, and Lawrence?

I don't think it is, and it's pretty laughable to claim you need a 5* to put you over the top with what Loyola just did. I mean LSU got a generational 5* in Simmons, and 1 year later their coach got fired

In football, Kentucky can recruit Jarren Williams for 3 years, and we can flip him in 2 weeks. In basketball, it's the opposite with a kid like Carey. Yes there are exceptions like Walker, but it's hard to identify those players years in advance

Advertisement
There is no down side to recruiting and taking as many uber talented players as possible. 5* , 4* doesn't matter. Coach L has got to grow some more as a coach and find a coaching formula that works for him and allows our program to continue to ascend with one and doners.

There is no down side to recruiting and taking as many uber talented players as possible. 5* , 4* doesn't matter. Coach L has got to grow some more as a coach and find a coaching formula that works for him and allows our program to continue to ascend with one and doners.

Not if the NCAA gets rid of one and dones , which seems more likely than not at this point. Apparently they want that gone and the rules changed by August (which would make sense for guys like Carey to reclassify if that is the case).

Not if the NCAA gets rid of one and dones , which seems more likely than not at this point. Apparently they want that gone and the rules changed by August (which would make sense for guys like Carey to reclassify if that is the case).

Yeah, I think it goes. They will put a lot weight behind the Rice Commission findings. One and done is a stupid limitation.

John Salmons is STILL the only Cane in the "modern" era to be an NBA standout. And, unfortunately, because of where he played, very few even know that. Doesn't help recruiting.

Advertisement
The college game will become much tougher if players have to stay 2 years. IMO it will make the strong teams much stronger. Most teams won't see the benefit of this but teams like Kentucky and Duke and UNC who always lose one or two one and doners a year will become animals.

The college game will become much tougher if players have to stay 2 years. IMO it will make the strong teams much stronger. Most teams won't see the benefit of this but teams like Kentucky and Duke and UNC who always lose one or two one and doners a year will become animals.

Those kids won't be going to college at all, the one and doners will be going to the D-League, Europe and Asia.

Those kids won't be going to college at all, the one and doners will be going to the D-League, Europe and Asia.

Getting rid of 1-and-done will bring more parity to CBB. We will no longer be playing against teams like Duke last season with 4 starters who should have been in the NBA if not for the rule.

Advertisement
Getting rid of 1-and-done will bring more parity to CBB. We will no longer be playing against teams like Duke last season with 4 starters who should have been in the NBA if not for the rule.
No, we will be playing against Duke and Kentucky with one and doners in their second year. Bigger, stronger and better players. The difference between the haves and have nots will only grow.

No, we will be playing against Duke and Kentucky with one and doners in their second year. Bigger, stronger and better players. The difference between the haves and have nots will only grow.

What does that mean, "one and doners in their second year?" With the rule gone, one and done talent will never go to college.

What does that mean, "one and doners in their second year?" With the rule gone, one and done talent will never go to college.
I thought that the rule would be changed to push student to stay for 2 years not that they were totally eliminating the one required year. Why would they do that? It was the NBA's idea to get rid of high schoolers going straight to the NBA. This idea works against the NBA and college basketball.

Advertisement
Back