Carey update

Should have said "For" 10 or 11 consecutive seasons before the One and Done era. Think one of those Memphis teams did go to the Final Four (maybe the Championship Game?) plus I think all 10-11 of those teams were in the NCAAT.

UMass went to the final four and the year before made it to the elite 8. They had 5 straight NCAA tournament visits without ever losing in the first round(all before the 1 and done rule). Ls record is 3 straight with 2 first round losses. It is was also a lot harder to recruit at UMass pre-Cal then ACC Miami.

Advertisement
UMass went to the final four and the year before made it to the elite 8. They had 5 straight NCAA tournament visits without ever losing in the first round(all before the 1 and done rule). Ls record is 3 straight with 2 first round losses. It is was also a lot harder to recruit at UMass pre-Cal then ACC Miami.
So, he took both UMASS and Memphist to the FInal Four plus 10 other Tourney teams/

So, he took both UMASS and Memphist to the FInal Four plus 10 other Tourney teams/

Yes, I was agreeing with you and putting data to support your claim. Coach Cal will be fine if they change the rule for 1 and dones.
I was pointing out that even before one and dones he took UMass(an A10 team) to 5 straight tourneys(with no 1st round losses) and an elite 8 and final 4 appearance.

Last edited:
TC, true enough. Gotta wonder, though, in the college hoops landscape throughout its entire history, how many other titles would've also been vacated if investigated. Waaay more than Louisville's recent title and Villanova's back with Howard Porter. The recruiting scene in the 50s and 60s make today's issues look like child's play.

Advertisement
TC, true enough. Gotta wonder, though, in the college hoops landscape throughout its entire history, how many other titles would've also been vacated if investigated. Waaay more than Louisville's recent title and Villanova's back with Howard Porter. The recruiting scene in the 50s and 60s make today's issues look like child's play.

I remember listening to an interview with Bobby Knight, and he tore into John Wooden for UCLA's recruiting practices in the 60s and 70s. Its been going on forever.

The college game will become much tougher if players have to stay 2 years. IMO it will make the strong teams much stronger. Most teams won't see the benefit of this but teams like Kentucky and Duke and UNC who always lose one or two one and doners a year will become animals.
🤔 true

Last edited:
Why they shouldn't have to go to college at all. If you're an NBA prospect, you should be able to go directly to the pros (unless you are the exception like a Len Elmore or Bill Bradley who actually cares about a college education).

Advertisement
Why they shouldn't have to go to college at all. If you're an NBA prospect, you should be able to go directly to the pros (unless you are the exception like a Len Elmore or Bill Bradley who actually cares about a college education).
I agree. If they’re that good let them go pro.

Of course. But the NBA wants to use the NCAA as a free developmental league, the NBA union wants to protect jobs, and the NCAA is making a fortune off of it. One done is very lucrative for everybody but the NBA ready kids who are stuck in college for a semester.

They (the NBA) have been using college ball as their minor league system since forever. In terms of the NBA union wanting to protect jobs, pro sports is competitive, meaning if fringe players lose their current roster spots to more talented incoming 18 yr olds, so be it.

I would like to see the system be something like hockey. Everyone is eligible for the draft after their senior year of high school. From there you can go to college, NBA or the minor league systems. Works for all parties, NBA teams aren't stuck having to pay $1mill+ on high upside players who are taking up a roster spot on the bench. Also gives teams a chance to start developing players at an earlier age. Also makes roster management more interesting and gives teams a bigger asset pool of players.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back