Carey update

I thought that the rule would be changed to push student to stay for 2 years not that they were totally eliminating the one required year. Why would they do that? It was the NBA's idea to get rid of high schoolers going straight to the NBA. This idea works against the NBA and college basketball.

No it would move it to a system like baseball. Either you go pro after high school or you commit to college for two years.

Advertisement
Yeah, means that colleges will no longer be like the NBAs minor leagues for the highest touted players. Unless they are an anomaly and really want a college education, those guys will either be on an NBA roster or in the G League. This is how itconce was, i.e., HS players could go directly to the NBA, a la Moses Malone, Al Harrington and others.

They should completely adopt the baseball system. After HS, either turn pro, commit to a 4 year school for 3 years, or go JUCO. If CBB players had to attend college for 3 years, it would actually be college basketball again. I'm not sure if 2 years would do it, but it would be a massive improvement over dopey 1 and done.

Advertisement
If not for the local/family connection, strongly doubt we'd be on any list of his. Fingers crossed. I'd pitch him on not having to share the spotlight with so many other 5 star players. Like LW, he could come in with the opportunity of being "the man." Didn't work out that way for Lonnie but ...

Advertisement
Kentucky recruiting insiders have been saying for weeks UK is in a much better spot here than ppl think, and on a podcast this morning he said he feels Miami will be UK’s biggest competition in the end. FYI.

I'm heartened to hear the scouts' evaluation of him has improved over a year ago. Then, more than one service thought he had many shortcomings - despite his high number of "stars" - to address (standing around the perimeter and disappearing for stretches in games being the main ones). Agree we are extreme longshots to sign him.

I'm hoping that the "one and done" rule gets thrown out and high-rated kids get to once more go straight to the NBA or the D League or overseas or wherever. Might hurt the quality of college ball (if you want college hoops to be the NBA's minor leagues) but would really impact programs like Duke, Kentucky and other so-called "blue bloods."

If they got rid of one and done, Coach K would go back to developing kids. Cal would have a problem because he built his career on one and dones.

If they got rid of one and done, Coach K would go back to developing kids. Cal would have a problem because he built his career on one and dones.
I just about posted the same thing earlier.

That, and Duke/Kentucky would still likely get the top prospects, just not the one and done type of talents.

Advertisement
Calipari was a very good HC long before the "one and done" rule existed. Am sure he'd have no trouble readjusting.

If the powers-that-be really wanted to go 180 degrees from the "student athlete" mockery that college sports are today, they'd reinstitute freshman inelegibility. But, of course, that would never be brought back. Too much money involved and who really cares if a great athlete has zero interest in academic side of the school he's attending.

Re Cal, if memory serves, he had the one great season at UMass pre 1 and done. Wasn't that final 4 wiped out due to violations?

Re Cal, if memory serves, he had the one great season at UMass pre 1 and done. Wasn't that final 4 wiped out due to violations?
Wasn't "one and done" rule adopted like in 2005 or thereabouts? Calipari won 20 games or more for UMass and Memphis 10 or 11 seasons before that!

Advertisement
Well...his other seasons were good too at UMass and Memphis...even on that team, he had Marcus Camby, an underrated PG in Edgar Padilla to run the show, and Lou Rowe was a very good collegiate SG...and not much else. People forget how great of a collegiate player Camby was...dude won the Wooden and the Naismith. That UMass team could play, was probably honestly his best coaching performance, getting those players to play around Camby and maximizing his output. They were fun to watch...I really liked that team.

His success pre-one and done at UMass and Memphis just reinforces the point though that those who can recruit and land the top guys that fit their system will be successful. He recruited decently at UMass (as good as he could), and made the pieces fit. At Memphis, he recruited even better, up on the level of what we're seeing with the "blue blood" schools, and got great results. Now that he's at UK, he can still recruit like mad and his roster tends to get by more on talent than development or running a system like he did at UMass/Memphis.

Wasn't "one and done" rule adopted like in 2005 or thereabouts? Calipari won 20 games or more for UMass and Memphis 10 or 11 seasons before that!

I'm talking about final 4 type teams. Coach L wins 20 games every year at UM too, but nobody would say we're elite.

I'm talking about final 4 type teams. Coach L wins 20 games every year at UM too, but nobody would say we're elite.
Should have said "For" 10 or 11 consecutive seasons before the One and Done era. Think one of those Memphis teams did go to the Final Four (maybe the Championship Game?) plus I think all 10-11 of those teams were in the NCAAT.

Advertisement
Back