Can we be honest about the talent in FL

We really need to look north for the trench bullies. Bama, Clemson, UGA all go up to the mid atlantic or even further north into NJ/NY area for these guys. We would have to compete with Ohio State, Penn State, and the northern ACC schools etc for them but let me tell you, Miami is a popular school up here. The academics coupled with everything else make it very desirable. It's time to branch out - look at BC's Oline. Even if we get 1-2 kids per cycle it's worth it.
I’ve been saying we should just follow whoever Wisconsin offers at oline and poach

Advertisement
Miami needs to pony up the money for legitimate support staff / analysts whose lone job is to scout South Florida talent. And, that support staff is NOT just hiring South Florida Head Coaches and handlers as a way of getting into their pocket. It should be, just like big SEC teams do, guys on the come down, or guys that need a break, guys that are near retirement.

Miami's biggest issue in recruiting of recent vintage through Coker, Shannon, Golden, etc. has been the lack of adequately identifying quality football players. Yes, we are also struggling to land the no brainer 5* South Florida kids. But we are also struggling to find backup plans and identifying the countless diamonds in the rough that South Florida produces. Need to somehow do a better job of identifying these guys.

Florida produces more NFL players than any other state by a healthy margin.

That might be true, but so many Florida players are soft and have no heart.

So here’s the question: would you put your money on a team that has 10 future NFL players and 75 soft gimps, or on a team that has 5 future NFL players and 80 players with that dog in them?

South Florida used to produce players with a toughness and attitude. It doesn’t anymore. As fans, we can only blame coaches for so long....but now we’re 15 years and 4 head coaches in.

At some point, the lightbulb comes on and you realize there is something in the football culture in South Florida that is different today than it was 20/30 years ago

Miami needs to pony up the money for legitimate support staff / analysts whose lone job is to scout South Florida talent. And, that support staff is NOT just hiring South Florida Head Coaches and handlers as a way of getting into their pocket. It should be, just like big SEC teams do, guys on the come down, or guys that need a break, guys that are near retirement.

Miami's biggest issue in recruiting of recent vintage through Coker, Shannon, Golden, etc. has been the lack of adequately identifying quality football players. Yes, we are also struggling to land the no brainer 5* South Florida kids. But we are also struggling to find backup plans and identifying the countless diamonds in the rough that South Florida produces. Need to somehow do a better job of identifying these guys.

On your last point, dead on. We have guys like Knowles, Bar Milo, etc on the bottom third of our roster who are essentially useless. Couple that with Richt not signing full classes leaving us not even close to the full allotment, it’s almost like self-probation.

We’re going to have decommits and it doesn’t seem like we’re going to have adequate backup plans. Our class will probably be 21-22 guys with very few elite guys.

Look at Ed Reed's twitter post yesterday of the greats. Ray Lewis. Ed Reed. Clinton Portis. Michael Irvin. Warren Sapp. Edgerrin James. Irvin the only South Florida guy. (Edited to add - guess you could count Edge too, but the Muck has always been a free-for-all more than a "we have to own it" area like Dade/Broward have always been treated).

Look at the ambassadors of this program the last 5 years. Brevin Jordan. DeeJay Dallas. Lorenzo Lingard. Braxton Berrios. Adrian Colbert. These are the guys who love the U. These are NFL talents. Those Duke Johnsons aren't around in numbers any more.

The 5 star Miami kids don't want to come here any more and they aren't going to in significant numbers for a long time, if ever again. If they don't help us then who gives a **** about them. They might as well be born in Tuscaloosa or Athens, they only exist to us in these threads where we fawn over them for 60 pages before telling our staff to **** their own faces, or in these posts bragging about South Florida kids in the NFL via the SEC, Florida State, Clemson, Ohio State, etc.

Get the Jaquan Johnsons who are born to be Canes and get the Sheldrick Redwines. All the Dalvin Cook and his ilk, don't waste time. Go find more Brevin Jordans and Adrian Colberts. They are out here and they want to be Canes. They're more Miami than the Miami kids are in 2018.

Last edited:
Advertisement
On your last point, dead on. We have guys like Knowles, Bar Milo, etc on the bottom third of our roster who are essentially useless. Couple that with Richt not signing full classes leaving us not even close to the full allotment, it’s almost like self-probation.

We’re going to have decommits and it doesn’t seem like we’re going to have adequate backup plans. Our class will probably be 21-22 guys with very few elite guys.

Bar Milo was from ******* California. Dude should have no business on the roster. He's not even depth. Just a bottom of the roster leach.

I will be honest...I would take risks on Knowles types every year. Yeah, he stinks. But I'd be very disingenuous if I said take another Miami-Dade 3* defensive back but not Knowles. Can't be a hypocrite. The issue is not having enough of an eye for talent where Knowles, by Year 3, is playing heavy. Its because the bottom 1/3 of our roster is f'n useless because we are horrendous at talent evaluation. Yeah, we miss out on South Florida 5* players, but we don't replace them with a potential Louisville commit thats a stud or a guy that we might need to work with to get the grades...we replace them with some former 2* fodder that we only get on because its so late in the process everyone else is locked into a legit school and won't budge.

I mean, can we keep it real...Miami is passing on FOUR STARS...Kaiir Elam, John Dunmore, Jaden Davis, Josh Spaghetti, being iffy on Nayquan Wright, Wardrick Wilson...I mean, last I checked, Miami ain't in a position to be passing on players. idk if these guys are going to be good, but Miami passing on that many Tri-County Four Stars is jokes.

Then high rated three stars like Fuller, Daniel Carter, Brian Mauer, Vince Murphy, Maurice Smith (only interested since like last week lol), Mark Fox, Jahmar Brown, Daxon, Renato Brown...there are plenty more to list.

You telling me ALL of those guys in the 3* and 4* spectrum aren't worthy of Miami offers or takes? Please, b. Thats nonsense. I'm not saying they are all takes, but the fact that Miami handwaved most of them early is jokes. How many of those guys end up legit contributors to their teams? The answer is almost always "most". Yet Miami's bottom 1/3 of the roster is filth. Blows my mind.

Bar Milo was from ******* California. Dude should have no business on the roster. He's not even depth. Just a bottom of the roster leach.

I will be honest...I would take risks on Knowles types every year. Yeah, he stinks. But I'd be very disingenuous if I said take another Miami-Dade 3* defensive back but not Knowles. Can't be a hypocrite. The issue is not having enough of an eye for talent where Knowles, by Year 3, is playing heavy. Its because the bottom 1/3 of our roster is f'n useless because we are horrendous at talent evaluation. Yeah, we miss out on South Florida 5* players, but we don't replace them with a potential Louisville commit thats a stud or a guy that we might need to work with to get the grades...we replace them with some former 2* fodder that we only get on because its so late in the process everyone else is locked into a legit school and won't budge.

I mean, can we keep it real...Miami is passing on FOUR STARS...Kaiir Elam, John Dunmore, Jaden Davis, Josh Spaghetti, being iffy on Nayquan Wright, Wardrick Wilson...I mean, last I checked, Miami ain't in a position to be passing on players. idk if these guys are going to be good, but Miami passing on that many Tri-County Four Stars is jokes.

Then high rated three stars like Fuller, Daniel Carter, Brian Mauer, Vince Murphy, Maurice Smith (only interested since like last week lol), Mark Fox, Jahmar Brown, Daxon, Renato Brown...there are plenty more to list.

You telling me ALL of those guys in the 3* and 4* spectrum aren't worthy of Miami offers or takes? Please, b. Thats nonsense. I'm not saying they are all takes, but the fact that Miami handwaved most of them early is jokes. How many of those guys end up legit contributors to their teams? The answer is almost always "most". Yet Miami's bottom 1/3 of the roster is filth. Blows my mind.

Eleven 3’s and seven 4’s committed, so you are saying we should take more or less of these guys?

Advertisement
Look at Ed Reed's twitter post yesterday of the greats. Ray Lewis. Ed Reed. Clinton Portis. Michael Irvin. Warren Sapp. Edgerrin James. Irvin the only South Florida guy. (Edited to add - guess you could count Edge too, but the Muck has always been a free-for-all more than a "we have to own it" area like Dade/Broward have always been treated).

Look at the ambassadors of this program the last 5 years. Brevin Jordan. DeeJay Dallas. Lorenzo Lingard. Braxton Berrios. Adrian Colbert. These are the guys who love the U. These are NFL talents. Those Duke Johnsons aren't around in numbers any more.

The 5 star Miami kids don't want to come here any more and they aren't going to in significant numbers for a long time, if ever again. If they don't help us then who gives a **** about them. They might as well be born in Tuscaloosa or Athens, they only exist to us in these threads where we fawn over them for 60 pages before telling our staff to **** their own faces, or in these posts bragging about South Florida kids in the NFL via the SEC, Florida State, Clemson, Ohio State, etc.

Get the Jaquan Johnsons who are born to be Canes and get the Sheldrick Redwines. All the Dalvin Cook and his ilk, don't waste time. Go find more Brevin Jordans and Adrian Colberts. They are out here and they want to be Canes. They're more Miami than the Miami kids are in 2018.

I would rather have the Dalvin Cooks than get beat by them.

We can call them traitors all we want. They are the best players and we need to sign them.

At some point, the lightbulb comes on and you realize there is something in the football culture in South Florida that is different today than it was 20/30 years ago

The only change is that South Florida produces even more pros than it used to, and the gap between Miami and the next closest city is getting bigger.

The numbers say Florida players are more dominant than ever. We aren’t getting enough of them. That’s our fault.

The only change is that South Florida produces even more pros than it used to, and the gap between Miami and the next closest city is getting bigger.

The numbers say Florida players are more dominant than ever. We aren’t getting enough of them. That’s our fault.

We should get more of them, but you’re never going to get them all. So I agree with TheSwagger1.....for every South Florida 5-star we lose, we should pick one up from Georgia or Texas or elsewhere.

Butch recruited the best players from all over America. That 2001 team was loaded with kids like Ed Reed, Reggie Wayne, Jeremy Shockey etc

But the bigger point I was alluding to is that we can’t sign all 5-stars, and so we need to do a better job if evaluating the bottom half of our classes.

The problem with Miami isn’t that the Jaquan Johnson’s aren’t good enough, it’s that the Robert Knowles types aren’t servicable.

A hallmark of any good coordinator is that they exploit the other team’s weaknesses. Miami has too many weak links right now.

Our problem for a while hasn’t been that our best players aren’t good enough....it’s that our worst players are garbage. BC won’t send mire kids to the league than Miami, but their 3-stars are a better quality than ours.

So when we do sign a 3-star, it needs to be the right one. That’s what we’re getting wrong, IMO

Advertisement
The University of MIAMI fans don't want us to recruit South Fla players, because South Fla players are going to Bama, UGA, Clemson, Oh St, LSU, Oklahoma etc over Miami lol.

The State of Florida has the most players in the NFL & Miami/Ft Lauderdale produces the most NFL players than any other region in America. If the talent was as overrated as you guys seem to think all these other high powered programs wouldn't recruit South Fla so heavy.

Are the players soft because they don't want to come to Miami or is our program soft because we simply can't produce a winning team in 15 years?

I hate that the elite players don't wanna stay home & play for the U, but there's no reason for them to do so right now,, until we start winning big & dropping bags we'll NEVER get a bulk of the elite players in South Fla.

We have to win if we want these kids to consider Miami a serious contender, cant keep putting a sh*t product out on the field for over a decade & expecting the kids to come flocking.

I do however believe we should start recruiting Texas heavy as well though, because those kids aren't as loyal to their state as people believe they are. Bama, LSU, Notre Dame & Stanford have been able to snatch some elite Texas players over the last few years & I think if we made the effort we could too, especially at QB.

Eleven 3’s and seven 4’s committed, so you are saying we should take more or less of these guys?

What ppl are saying is ppl come on here and act like these mythical south fla three stars are that much better than other places. We need to cast a wider net especially for OL, DL and QB. Yall keep telling about these kids like Gaynor, cleve reed etc. lets see it. Kids are coming into programs and playing within 1 to 2 years. I think part of it has to do with coaching at the hs level not paying the FL high school coaches enough and they leave and go other places.

Last edited:
I would rather have the Dalvin Cooks than get beat by them.

We can call them traitors all we want. They are the best players and we need to sign them.

Coker couldn't consistently land them. Shannon couldn't consistently land them. Golden couldn't consistently land them. Richt isn't consistently landing them. At some point a spade is a spade. Consistently landing Miami 5 stars isn't reality for us, and it's becoming a lot more unlikely than likely. Get the Jaquans and Redwines but stop being the pathetic ho for guys like Jobe, Surtain, Ingrahm, etc. We look embarrassing in addition to ending up empty handed. Right now we're the guy shooting our shot at 10s and getting laughed at. There are a lot of 9s out there that are DTF. There are a lot of kids like those I listed who are NFL talents that want to be Canes more than Miami kids do.

Last edited:
Advertisement
In the past that has been true. Im talking about if it will continue going forward. In the 2018 draft florida had 36 picks while TX/CA had 27 and 28. There wasnt a florida kid picked in the tolp half of the first round and florida had abt 7 kids picked in the 7th round.
I can’t tell if you’re debating yourself with this post and just don’t realize it

What ppl are saying is ppl come on here and act like these mythical south fla three stars are that much better than other places. We need to cast a wider net especially for OL, DL and QB. Yall keep telling about these kids like Gaynor, z. Hillary etc. lets see it. Kids are coming into programs and playing within 1 to 2 years. I think part of it has to do with coaching at the hs level not paying the FL high school coaches enough and they leave and go other places.
Hillery is from Georgia.

Coker couldn't consistently land them. Shannon couldn't consistently land them. Golden couldn't consistently land them. Richt isn't consistently landing them. At some point a spade is a spade. Consistently landing Miami 5 stars isn't reality for us, and it's becoming a lot more unlikely than likely. Get the Jaquans and Redwines but stop being the pathetic ho for guys like Jobe, Surtain, Ingrahm, etc. We look embarrassing in addition to ending up empty handed. Right now we're the guy shooting our shot at 10s and getting laughed at. There are a lot of 9s out there that are DTF. There are a lot of kids like those I listed who are NFL talents that want to be Canes more than Miami kids do.

You know why those guys have been leaving for 15 years?

We’ve sucked. These kids aren’t dumb. They see the same things we’ve been complaining about on message boards. Bad schemes, bad development, bad product.

I can’t blame kids for making smart decisions. We need to become the smart decision. When we do that, we will consistently land the 5-Star local guys and return to the top of college football.

Advertisement
Back