Can we be honest about the talent in FL

You know why those guys have been leaving for 15 years?

We’ve sucked. These kids aren’t dumb. They see the same things we’ve been complaining about on message boards. Bad schemes, bad development, bad product.

I can’t blame kids for making smart decisions. We need to become the smart decision. When we do that, we will consistently land the 5-Star local guys and return to the top of college football.

I agree. Fixing it isnt easy either. Firing every coach in 3 years doesnt work in my opinion either. What would u suggest D Money?

Advertisement
It’s obvious that talent is more spread out across the country than it’s ever been.... and it’s also obvious that you can’t win with just Florida talent. There are states that consistently produce better talent at key positions that are vital to winning on a consistent basis.

Mainly LBer, Dline, Oline, and QB.
I agree with this

This is exactly what Butch did, recruit nationally and mix that with the best sfla athletes and u get the most dominant teams in CFB. But this staff isnt keeping the best home so they are playing behind the 8 ball already and they are known again just like the last staff for getting on kids late........are tehy recruiting better than the previous 3 staffs? yes but thats not saying much

We’ve sucked. These kids aren’t dumb. They see the same things we’ve been complaining about on message boards. Bad schemes, bad development, bad product.

I can’t blame kids for making smart decisions. We need to become the smart decision. When we do that, we will consistently land the 5-Star local guys and return to the top of college football.

USC, clearly the one school in the nation that's most similar to UM in just about every way imaginable, lands the majority of the best kids in their area every single year and they haven't been good since we were. South Florida is filled with grimy handlers and bandwagon-jumpers like no place else. It's not JUST about "smart decisions".

USC, clearly the one school in the nation that's most similar to UM in just about every way imaginable, lands the majority of the best kids in their area every single year and they haven't been good since we were. South Florida is filled with grimy handlers and bandwagon-jumpers like no place else. It's not JUST about "smart decisions".

USC doesn’t have the best teams in the country a short plane ride away. And they’ve also been letting the best talent leave. They suck.

Amari Cooper made a smart decision. Calvin Ridley made a smart decision. Sony Michel made a smart decision. Jerry Jeudy made a smart decision.

You can call the kids names, or you can call it what it is. It’s our fault these kids are leaving. We haven’t had our house in order.

Advertisement
USC doesn’t have the best teams in the country a short plane ride away. And they’ve also been letting the best talent leave. They suck.

Amari Cooper made a smart decision. Calvin Ridley made a smart decision. Sony Michel made a smart decision. Jerry Jeudy made a smart decision.

You can call the kids names, or you can call it what it is. It’s our fault these kids are leaving. We haven’t had our house in order.

They're a small private school in the middle of a huge urban area and they land the best kids in their area every year. Them sucking is irrelevant to the conversation we're having. Plane ride schplane ride. Amari, Calvin, and Sony would have all been NFL players at Miami. Heck, if them and Dalvin all signed here even a guy like Larry Coker might win championships and all of a sudden it's a "smart decision".

They're a small private school in the middle of a huge urban area and they land the best kids in their area every year. Them sucking is irrelevant to the conversation we're having. Plane ride schplane ride. Amari, Calvin, and Sony would have all been NFL players at Miami. Heck, if them and Dalvin all signed here even a guy like Larry Coker might win championships and all of a sudden it's a "smart decision".

USC’s talent level has fallen off. We have better players than they do. We just don’t hear about the guys they lose.

It’s funny. We spend hours posting about how much our scheme sucks. Then when a talented receiver goes elsewhere, we say “How could he not want to play here? What a loser!”

It’s that simple. If we stop wasting the talent we have, the top players will be more open to coming here.

What positions? This doesn't mean all that much if these are mostly dbs, rbs, and wrs, positions that we rarely have weaknesses.

Two Heisman QBs this decade, the best pass rushers in the NFL, All-Pro LBs like David and Shazier, Geno Atkins. It’s not just WRs and DBs.

Florida is the best source of talent for football players by any objective measure.

Advertisement
My counter argument would be that i dont see enough high end QB talent in the state year end and year out.
Nkosi was highly rated and talented. So qbs in the last couple of years from Florida you have Flowers, a heismen winner in Lamar Jackson, Teddy Bridgewater, Francois was highly rated, and I am sure I'm missing others. Just because Miami doesn't get them doesnt mean they aren't there.

What positions? This doesn't mean all that much if these are mostly dbs, rbs, and wrs, positions that we rarely have weaknesses.
agreed, i went and watched some highlights of old miami games from the 80's and when they showed the screen graphic of the starting lineup we had a ton of offensive linemen from the midwest and northeast like PA, and Ohio. we need to go out of state for elite DTs too and QB

But with Bama coming in a buying guys like Jobe and Jeudy, this really hurts Miami. There is a difference between the elite talent and the rest of the pack. These guys are game changers and back in the day, Miami got their share. Now, these guys are going to SEC $$$. It matters and it makes a huge difference.

Never got the share.....always split with others since Jimmy Johsonm era. Jobe wasn't a miss....not getting one of Surtain/Campbell is more of a miss. And completely doing that for multiple years is a problem,At db since they have been here.

yea losing streaks bring on dumb post like this.

UM has been sorry for awhile and continue to be..high end south florida talent don't like playing for losers.

Its pretty simple...win. Thought at the end of last year there was a glimmer after ND,VT but that sh*t flew by and now its compounded by the sh*t show their producing now.

Ive been saying they need to be national still at certain positions..I mean we should be PLANTED IN METRO ATLANTA. PLANTED.
Everybody is holding camps in s.fla and were here twiddling our fingers while getting poached.

Advertisement
We really need to look north for the trench bullies. Bama, Clemson, UGA all go up to the mid atlantic or even further north into NJ/NY area for these guys. We would have to compete with Ohio State, Penn State, and the northern ACC schools etc for them but let me tell you, Miami is a popular school up here. The academics coupled with everything else make it very desirable. It's time to branch out - look at BC's Oline. Even if we get 1-2 kids per cycle it's worth it.
Would not be acceptable to this board. Calls them "coal shovelers."

yea losing streaks bring on dumb post like this.

UM has been sorry for awhile and continue to be..high end south florida talent don't like playing for losers.

Its pretty simple...win. Thought at the end of last year there was a glimmer after ND,VT but that sh*t flew by and now its compounded by the sh*t show their producing now.

Ive been saying they need to be national still at certain positions..I mean we should be PLANTED IN METRO ATLANTA. PLANTED.
Everybody is holding camps in s.fla and were here twiddling our fingers while getting poached.
Yep, the DMV, atl, Louisiana, Texas (Houston and other areas) Cali, central fla as well.

Yep, the DMV, atl, Louisiana, Texas (Houston and other areas) Cali, central fla as well.

we have made waves in central florida..and have essentially took over Jacksonville. Imma need them to turn up in Texas, Metro Atlanta, New Orleans. Im not talking recruiting one kid im talking doing what bama and other big time programs do in send ing offers to the top dog in those areas every year.
I wouldnt really hit the west coast much...but frequent flyer miles to those states should be done. Dont wanna be a fall back option for south florida kids...make yourself an option for out of state top dogs.

Advertisement
Just focus on getting a dominant, tough *** OL, DL, and also a QB. The rest is relatively easy to fill in (in South Florida).

we have made waves in central florida..and have essentially took over Jacksonville. Imma need them to turn up in Texas, Metro Atlanta, New Orleans. Im not talking recruiting one kid im talking doing what bama and other big time programs do in send ing offers to the top dog in those areas every year.
I wouldnt really hit the west coast much...but frequent flyer miles to those states should be done. Dont wanna be a fall back option for south florida kids...make yourself an option for out of state top dogs.

Agreed 100%. West Coast should be for kids like DJ Johnson (regardless of him transferring out) and Brevin who are legit interested and will commit and not looking for a free vacation.

Recruit the state of Florida like always and go to the areas like Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas.

I've said this for a long *** time. They're making a business decision. I don't always agree with how they handle the process, but it's their lives to live and we don't know how they actually handled it behind the scenes.

I've often asked the question, would you send your kid to play for Shannon, Golden, etc? I know I wouldn't have and as sad as ir is, a lot of talent has been wasted here. We aren't recruiting at a top 5 or maybe even top 10 level, but we've always gotten top 20 and can't even squeak in the top 25 come seasons end. There is no way all the schools recruiting our recruits can be that wrong. So it's development more than missed evaluations.

Crap needs to change.

USC’s talent level has fallen off. We have better players than they do. We just don’t hear about the guys they lose.

It’s funny. We spend hours posting about how much our scheme sucks. Then when a talented receiver goes elsewhere, we say “How could he not want to play here? What a loser!”

It’s that simple. If we stop wasting the talent we have, the top players will be more open to coming here.

USC - according to 247 - in 2018, has more talent than Miami. Team Talent Composite #4 in the nation. Miami #17.

USCs problem, much like Miami, is while they have a lot of talent...its not where it needs to be...they lack on the lines big time. They've got high end DBs and skill guys...OL/DL...not really.

Throw in subpar coaching with Helton and well, USC underwhelms...much like Miami. The similarities between the two right now are pretty crazy. They're at the Shannon/Golden stage of the circle of the life.

Advertisement
Back