Cam'Ron Harris

I think Cam can do some damage. I do feel he struggles in traffic, whereas Dallas gets small and can flip his hips more effectively. Dallas reminding me more and more of the all-time great Miami RBs, almost never having negative yard plays, and always squeezing out an extra yard or two through sheer effort. Cam is the homerun threat if he gets some momentum going, he just needs better blocking to show those skills.

Personally, I think Chaney is "that guy". And I'd still like to see Lo and Burns in some game time action. We have some quality backs on this team right now.
And traffic is what causes most RBs trouble. When there are more defenders than blockers, it's a bad thing. By spreading the field, and I'm talking big time spreading the field like Lashlee does, it will naturally open up lanes to run through. No more running into a wall of defenders and hoping for the best.

I expect ALL of our backs to have wow moments for us this year.

Advertisement
^^My opinion hasn't changed. Cam is the more homerun threat. But I still question his blocking ability and his ability to hit the right holes or just get positive yardage on most plays, especially 3rd downs. I hope Burns can be that guy, but he's done nothing to show it since his sophomore year in HS. Chaney is the kid I'm all in on.

Cam

Cam had 65 yarder against UF called back and a 50 yarder against UNC called back. I get your point but look into the numbers abit more. We also had 3 Freshmen lineman getting alot of PT n Donaldsons play continuing to decline.

You can't really use those reasons, especially the called back runs - but I do understand wanting to. Here's why

1) The the holding call vs UF was absolutely the correct call and was a part of the reason why Cam was able to break a long run
2) I liked Shaun Shivers a little more than Cam coming out of HS. Through 2 years their rushing stats are very similar. If you add in Cam's called back runs, would you also include Shivers 75 yd TD run vs Alabama that was called back? Having long runs called back isn't something that's unique to Miami RB's - even though Miami fans act like it is.
3) For the OL - I'm comparing Cam to DeeJay. They've been running behind the same OL the last 2 years, so that becomes irrelevant.

BUT - even so, let's give Cam credit for 2 more 50 yd runs last year. The stats would then become

Dallas Soph year - 109 for 617 yds - 5.7 ypc - 6TD's
Harris Soph year - 116 for 676 yds - 5.8 ypc - 6TD's

So even if the 2 long runs had counted, Cam would be considered even more explosive, even though his stats would look basically the same as "fat, slow, and disappointing" DeeJay season.

You can't really use those reasons, especially the called back runs - but I do understand wanting to. Here's why

1) The the holding call vs UF was absolutely the correct call and was a part of the reason why Cam was able to break a long run
2) I liked Shaun Shivers a little more than Cam coming out of HS. Through 2 years their rushing stats are very similar. If you add in Cam's called back runs, would you also include Shivers 75 yd TD run vs Alabama that was called back? Having long runs called back isn't something that's unique to Miami RB's - even though Miami fans act like it is.
3) For the OL - I'm comparing Cam to DeeJay. They've been running behind the same OL the last 2 years, so that becomes irrelevant.

BUT - even so, let's give Cam credit for 2 more 50 yd runs last year. The stats would then become

Dallas Soph year - 109 for 617 yds - 5.7 ypc - 6TD's
Harris Soph year - 116 for 676 yds - 5.8 ypc - 6TD's

So even if the 2 long runs had counted, Cam would be considered even more explosive, even though his stats would look basically the same as "fat, slow, and disappointing" DeeJay season.
You are comparing DJ and Cam soph season not at the sametime. DJ didnt run behind the worse Oline Ive seen at UM his sophomore year.

Advertisement
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Knighton and Chaney eat into Cam’s carries severely. I appreciate Cam putting in all that hard work, but I’m just not sold on him as a number 1 back.

I agree and this is my concern for 2020.

This isn't bashing guys like Cam or Mike Harley - they're good players. They're just not #1 guys. Whenever your #1 RB & WR are really better suited to be a #2 or #3 guy - you hope that your younger more talented players step up.

You are comparing DJ and Cam soph season not at the sametime. DJ didnt run behind the worse Oline Ive seen at UM his sophomore year.

2018 YPC - Cam 5.9 / DeeJay 5.7 - So basically the same, even though Cam was explosive and DeeJay was fat & slow

2019 YPC - Cam 5.1 / DeeJay 6.0 So significant difference for DeeJay, and he was able to improve behind a worse OL while Cam didn't

My point is that it's interesting - and this is kind of what you're doing - which players fans choose to hype up when they had a year that statistically wasn't anything special, while a guy who was statistically better gets bashed.

And traffic is what causes most RBs trouble. When there are more defenders than blockers, it's a bad thing. By spreading the field, and I'm talking big time spreading the field like Lashlee does, it will naturally open up lanes to run through. No more running into a wall of defenders and hoping for the best.

I expect ALL of our backs to have wow moments for us this year.
This is spot on. Having a crappy offensive staff doesn't just keep players from reaching their potential, it also hides those who may not actually have the potential.

Hopefully our long offensive nightmare is over and we'll be able to see the cream rise to the top.

Advertisement
2018 YPC - Cam 5.9 / DeeJay 5.7 - So basically the same, even though Cam was explosive and DeeJay was fat & slow

2019 YPC - Cam 5.1 / DeeJay 6.0 So significant difference for DeeJay, and he was able to improve behind a worse OL while Cam didn't

My point is that it's interesting - and this is kind of what you're doing - which players fans choose to hype up when they had a year that statistically wasn't anything special, while a guy who was statistically better gets bashed.
Cam had 2 50 plus yard runs called back, if you add that back he was at 5.9 ypc for the year. Harris has more qualities to be a lead back imo his top speed stands out and is an important component. He’s underutilized in the passing game as well, he can be a real threat there. One of the main concerns I see With cam is that he doesn’t cut naturally in the open field, looks sort of awkward at times .It’s not natural cuts like don or Jaylan

Last edited:
Cam had 2 50 plus yard runs called back, if you add that back he was at 5.9 ypc for the year. Harris has more qualities to be a lead back imo his top speed stands out and is an important component. He’s underutilized in the passing game as well, he can be a real threat there. One of the main concerns I see With cam is that he doesn’t cut naturally in the open field, looks sort of awkward at times .It’s not natural cuts like don or Jaylan

I covered Cam's called back runs and why you can't include them if you read a couple posts back.

In terms of running the ball - what are the qualities you see in Cam beyond speed, and who are you comparing him to? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering what you're seeing. Cam is basically a speed back IMO.

IMO - Chaney is just as fast as Cam, but is bigger & can win with contact more than Cam. Chaney changes direction and creates on his own better than Cam. I'm just going off of HS film, but that's what I see and why I'd bank on Chaney. Chaney is just more talented and able to do more things.

I like Jaylan too, but if the 178 lbs he's listed as on the roster is correct, I'm skeptical of how much workload he can handle. I think Jaylan has more long term potential than Cam, but it might not show this year. Spring will be interesting to see.

I covered Cam's called back runs and why you can't include them if you read a couple posts back.

In terms of running the ball - what are the qualities you see in Cam beyond speed, and who are you comparing him to? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering what you're seeing. Cam is basically a speed back IMO.

IMO - Chaney is just as fast as Cam, but is bigger & can win with contact more than Cam. Chaney changes direction and creates on his own better than Cam. I'm just going off of HS film, but that's what I see and why I'd bank on Chaney. Chaney is just more talented and able to do more things.

I like Jaylan too, but if the 178 lbs he's listed as on the roster is correct, I'm skeptical of how much workload he can handle. I think Jaylan has more long term potential than Cam, but it might not show this year. Spring will be interesting to see.
I doubt knighton is that weight, he was 195 pounds in the summer of last year.

He don’t look small to me

Let me be clear I’m very high on the 2 freshman but I still Think cam will be the lead back this year but those 2 will play a lot either way: That’s a good question? I’m not sure who cam compares to, have to think about it some more. He is a physical runner though and explosive with homerun type of speed. His speed is an upgrade over Dallas for sure but he’s not faster than Chaney or knighton. Cam has more top end speed than duke but with a better frame

Last edited:

What's this obsession with Cam's called back runs? Like he's the first RB to ever have a run called back for a penalty. 😂

Advertisement
Cam had more than two runs called back if I remember correctly. Those were just two of 50+. I Like Cam. Deejay didn’t necessarily have the best vision either what deejay had was elusiveness.

so many times you’d think deejaywas going to get tackled at the point of contact and he makes a little move and would shake somebody turning 5 yards into a first down or more. I will miss that.

We've been lucky that Homer and Dallas were still fun to watch during our woes. Hopefully Cam will provide as much entertainment with a few holes to run through.

Advertisement
YPC doesn’t always equate explosiveness either. Some Power Backs will average a high YPC just because they drag mother****ers and extra 3-5 yards just trying to bring the down. That wouldn’t be “explosiveness” but more strength and raw will power.

Deejay for his weakness with speed, more than made up for it with his footwork and agility. Travis Homes wasn’t a very agile guy but was fast AF as a one cut and go runner.

I would call Homer and Duke Johnson Explosive.

Yearby And Deejay had that elusive game with great feet.

You can usually see a guys explosiveness on film pretty clearly. Think Trent Richardson with Mark Ingram at Alabama. Two very different style of players. But Trent without a doubt was more explosive in college. Just off game-film.

I doubt knighton is that weight, he was 195 pounds in the summer of last year.

He don’t look small to me

Let me be clear I’m very high on the 2 freshman but I still Think cam will be the lead back this year but those 2 will play a lot either way: That’s a good question? I’m not sure who cam compares to, have to think about it some more. He is a physical runner though and explosive with homerun type of speed. His speed is an upgrade over Dallas for sure but he’s not as faster than Chaney or knighton. Cam has more top end speed than duke but with a better frame

Cam is JV Travis Homer to me. They're similar in size (which isn't very big), both are speed guys, and pretty much straight line runners that struggle with changing direction. Both have strengths and limitations.

But I'd say Homer was faster, more physical, and more elusive than Cam - even if it's by a small margin.

Homer hit longer runs, and hit them more often. Homer was more physical, and won with contact more. Homer was a little bit shiftier.

JV Homer is a good RB, and worthy of carries - I just want more out of our starter. Cam will probably start the year as our #1 guy, but I think Chaney and/or Knighton can, and will, show they're more talented and eventually become the #1 guy. And that's something that needs to happen for us to get better. I'd bet on Chaney being that guy, but would be just as happy if it's Knighton.

Cam is JV Travis Homer to me. They're similar in size (which isn't very big), both are speed guys, and pretty much straight line runners that struggle with changing direction. Both have strengths and limitations.

But I'd say Homer was faster, more physical, and more elusive than Cam - even if it's by a small margin.

Homer hit longer runs, and hit them more often. Homer was more physical, and won with contact more. Homer was a little bit shiftier.

JV Homer is a good RB, and worthy of carries - I just want more out of our starter. Cam will probably start the year as our #1 guy, but I think Chaney and/or Knighton can, and will, show they're more talented and eventually become the #1 guy. And that's something that needs to happen for us to get better. I'd bet on Chaney being that guy, but would be just as happy if it's Knighton.
Cam 210 now , homer was in that 195-200 range at Miami. Homer was very underrated at Miami, in 2018 he hit more runs over 30 yards that season than duke Johnson did in his last 2 years at Miami which is crazy to think about.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back