Cam'Ron Harris

Our offensive line also sucked donkey balls along with Lashlee running the same lame dive pay into gaynors back on first downs. Not much Cam can do.
I agree the OL is a problem - but it's not just the OL. In the last 3 games:

Cam - 32 - 70 - 2.2 ypc
Knighton/Chaney/Burns - 34 - 157 - 4.6 ypc

Cam can do better, and I think he will. He's just had WAY too many carries for negative yards so far.

He has to do a better job of fighting to turn those -2 yd losses into 1-2 yd gains. He's just stopping behind the LOS or trying to bounce outside too often right now.

Now - Cam is also our best HR hitter too. He's still going to hit a lot of big runs and chunk plays too. When the hole is here - watchout.

Advertisement
I agree the OL is a problem - but it's not just the OL. In the last 3 games:

Cam - 32 - 70 - 2.2 ypc
Knighton/Chaney/Burns - 34 - 157 - 4.6 ypc

Cam can do better, and I think he will. He's just had WAY too many carries for negative yards so far.

He has to do a better job of fighting to turn those -2 yd losses into 1-2 yd gains. He's just stopping behind the LOS or trying to bounce outside too often right now.

Now - Cam is also our best HR hitter too. He's still going to hit a lot of big runs and chunk plays too. When the hole is here - watchout.
Another question is what play is called for Cam vs the others. If he's been the one running those failed inside zones because that's what Lashlee called for him, while the other guys get better plays, then you can expect bad numbers. I really don't have the time or interest to go through every play and see which back was more productive on the same type of play.

Hopefully we'll see against Virginia. Their defense is more the caliber of Louisville than Pitt.

Another question is what play is called for Cam vs the others. If he's been the one running those failed inside zones because that's what Lashlee called for him, while the other guys get better plays, then you can expect bad numbers. I really don't have the time or interest to go through every play and see which back was more productive on the same type of play.

Hopefully we'll see against Virginia. Their defense is more the caliber of Louisville than Pitt.

also Cam is getting more carries on early downs that we have been really predictable vs them getting carries on 3rd and long where defenses are willing to give up some run yards?

would have to really dive more into their stats. I will say however, Knighton has way more wiggle than Cam and so does Chaney. For Cam is one cut and gone or nothing. We saw it even against FSU, Louisville and etc... he can’t create his own chunk plays. That’s not his style of running. Lashlee will just need to get the offensive to stop being 1-15 or 2nd long so we can actually see the playbook. Early penalties on drives and failed 1st downs is killing this offense right now

I think you're right - play calling, plus Cam is more often the short yardage RB, and the backup RB's get more carries when the game is already in hand probably plays a part. I don't know what every play call is - but IMO there's a pretty wide gap on negative plays that I think can be attributed to their running styles as the main factor.

Here's how many carries they've had for negative yards this season:

Cam - 16 runs for losses on 58 carries​
Other RB's - 5 runs for losses on 67 carries​
Cam had 6 runs for losses on his 26 carries just vs UAB & Louisville. So this didn't start with Clemson & Pitt.​

For perspective - Here's the full season runs for losses of our leading rushers since Duke

2020 - Cam - 16 losses on 58 carries​
2019 - DeeJay - 15 losses on 115 carries​
2018 - Homer - 17 losses on 164 carries​
2017 - Homer - 15 losses on 163 carries​
2016 - Walton - 28 losses on 209 carries​
2015 - Yearby - 15 losses on 205 carries​

As far as number go remember we play three backs a good bit. So if we were like Wisconsin feeding one back endlessly I’m sure cam would have good yardage numbers as well

Advertisement
I would just sit this one out if I were you. I was reviewing some of the posts in this thread, and your analytical abilities re:running backs are definitely in question.
@OriginalCanesCanesCanes & @AtlAtty - now that the seasons over & Cam Harris is coming back, I'm hoping to provide more context so it doesn't seem like I was just hating

So year - 5.1 ypc & 7.4 yds/rec
Jr year - 5.1 ypc & 7.3 yds/rec

IMO - that is who Cam is, and will likely be the same guy next year. Solid numbers, but nothing "special"

If you think Cam's better than that, but reasons like OL & Play calling have been holding him back - I can see and respect that even if I disagree.

What I would like is to have 1, or ideally 2 RB's on the roster in 2021 that can step up and put up better numbers than Cam has the past 2 years. That's all I mean when I say ideally Cam would be our #2 or #3 RB.

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes & @AtlAtty - now that the seasons over & Cam Harris is coming back, I'm hoping to provide more context so it doesn't seem like I was just hating

So year - 5.1 ypc & 7.4 yds/rec
Jr year - 5.1 ypc & 7.3 yds/rec

IMO - that is who Cam is, and will likely be the same guy next year. Solid numbers, but nothing "special"

If you think Cam's better than that, but reasons like OL & Play calling have been holding him back - I can see and respect that even if I disagree.

What I would like is to have 1, or ideally 2 RB's on the roster in 2021 that can step up and put up better numbers than Cam has the past 2 years. That's all I mean when I say ideally Cam would be our #2 or #3 RB.
I can't disagree with anything you wrote. I think you are correct about Cam's ceiling but I like having the depth and competition in the room.

Advertisement
Back