Camron Davis looks very impressive

My definition of a natural running back, the first person that comes to mind is Edgerrin James and Warrick Dunn. The natural ability to anticipate blocks, knows when to be patient or hit the hole hard, has good speed, good agility, runs with a low center of gravity, good out the backfield in the pass game, and a good blocker. Whereas some folk might prefer Eric ****erson or OJ Simpson, others may prefer Barry Sanders or Emmit Smith. All were great backs, but its all about preference and productivity. Lingard was definitely more productive out of high school.

Advertisement
Davis ran a 4.50 at a camp last year.

Lingard is taller than Davis, but unless he's really put on some good weight recently, he's not bigger than Davis.

Cam has the better film IMO but Lingard has the better physical traits. He's bigger and faster. (although I'm not sure what Cam's time is)

Can't ignore the fact that Cam's film is filled with long a$$ runs versus top competition. I watched him live against Mainland his Junior year and he was a grown man. (and Mainland is filled with D1 kids)
I don't know what his time is, but he pulls away from defenders effortlessly.

Carol City's offense is closer to what we run at Miami than Lingard's high school offense was. Cam may have a shorter learning curve when it comes to reading blocks and seeing things develop. Lingard may end up being the better RB once he gets those things down though. He's a physical freak.

We're lucky to have both IMO.

My definition of a natural running back, the first person that comes to mind is Edgerrin James and Warrick Dunn. The natural ability to anticipate blocks, knows when to be patient or hit the hole hard, has good speed, good agility, runs with a low center of gravity, good out the backfield in the pass game, and a good blocker. Whereas some folk might prefer Eric ****erson or OJ Simpson, others may prefer Barry Sanders or Emmit Smith. All were great backs, but its all about preference and productivity. Lingard was definitely more productive out of high school.

@tonyperps please read this when your heart rate comes back down to a normal level.

Cam has the better film IMO but Lingard has the better physical traits. He's bigger and faster. (although I'm not sure what Cam's time is)

Can't ignore the fact that Cam's film is filled with long a$$ runs versus top competition. I watched him live against Mainland his Junior year and he was a grown man. (and Mainland is filled with D1 kids)
I don't know what his time is, but he pulls away from defenders effortlessly.

Carol City's offense is closer to what we run at Miami than Lingard's high school offense was. Cam may have a shorter learning curve when it comes to reading blocks and seeing things develop. Lingard may end up being the better RB once he gets those things down though. He's a physical freak.

We're lucky to have both IMO.
Cam has better “film” or better “highlights?” There’s a huge difference. You’d be hard-pressed to say that a guy who ran for 500 yards his senior year has better film than a guy who ran for 1900 and was his team’s sole source of offense.

Advertisement
Davis ran a 4.50 at a camp last year.

Lingard is taller than Davis, but unless he's really put on some good weight recently, he's not bigger than Davis.
Lingard has a strong upper build but needs to develop his lower build better. Cam is pretty filled out as well

Cam looks like he has really good top-end speed and from what Ive seen will be a factor in the pass game( seems very comfortable running the wheel route and catching the ball naturally). He can be a match-up nightmare in that area. Not sure if he has a lot of wiggle but he's certainly guy that can see a crease and get through it rapidly

I wonder with the crowded backfield if he redshirts or if he can return kickoffs(like Lamar Miller did his first year on the field at Miami). As for redshirting him, well, there's a theory that if you have a talented RB you simply dont because if they are any good, chances are they aren't sticking around 4/5 years( speaking of Miller, he RS and played two season so that first year was kinda wasted in a sense that you might as well have thrown him out there in some capacity)

Agree with you but if I remember correctly Miller redshirted more because of shoulder issues from high school.

Advertisement
The skill position talent this team is stockpiling is amazing, if we can find 5 kids to block and a QB who can complete more than 50% of his passes this O should be unstoppable.

Davis looks like a guy that when the hole is there, he can hit it & house it. But he looks like a straight line speed guy. I don't see much wiggle or him running through defenders on his runs. Creating for himself doesn't look like his strong suit.

My guess is why that's why he has so many long runs but his stats are so bad. If there's not a clear hole, he's not going to give you much.

I think Homer/Dallas/Lingard is an obvious Tier above, then I'd take a healthy Burns over Davis, so it's going to be pretty hard for Davis to see the field until he's an upperclassmen IMO.

There simply isnt a reason to redshirt MOST players these days UNLESS they are not ready to play. And imo running backs and wideouts can come in as frosh and play big roles. I agree with the sentiment that elite running backs do not stick around 5 years. It is rare they stick for 4 years. I guess CMR's old stomping ground just had 2 rbs stick for 4 years, but it still isnt the norm.

Im all for those guys playing special teams and mop up duty to cut their teeth. I just dont see the need to shirt any of the runningbacks.

All I can say is its a good problem to have when your debating Lingard vs Cam.... im hoping they both develop into something like Chubb and Sony were or like Gurley and Chubb

Advertisement
Yeah I was thinking the same about whether or not to redshirt Davis or Lingard. looking at the film, I would say that Davis for sure has good enough agility and change of direction to make things happen behind the line of scrimmage if things don't look right play side.
Davis looks to have way more speed than Mike James. I like the Lamar Miller comparison
Davis this year ran an official 10.98--100m early in the year in only two meets he was in. His personal best last year 10.94 so he has the speed.

Davis looks like a guy that when the hole is there, he can hit it & house it. But he looks like a straight line speed guy. I don't see much wiggle or him running through defenders on his runs. Creating for himself doesn't look like his strong suit.

My guess is why that's why he has so many long runs but his stats are so bad. If there's not a clear hole, he's not going to give you much.

I think Homer/Dallas/Lingard is an obvious Tier above, then I'd take a healthy Burns over Davis, so it's going to be pretty hard for Davis to see the field until he's an upperclassmen IMO.

Nah. Davis is better than Burns and Lingard. We'll see about Homer and Dallas.

Looks to me like he has plenty of juice. He’s a cut n go rb

Hate to bring up a rb CMR woulda coached but does Cam remind anyone else of an Olandis Gary type back?

Advertisement
That is what I also saw in Lingard's film. This is not saying that he can't potentially be a great back. I am just saying that I gravitate more to Davis's film due to the versatility that was shown in it.

Pretty reasonable considering our OL performance. Walton created a lot of his own, sometimes when it wasn't even necessary. That's why I always liked Homer because he hits holes fast and loves to lower the boom on potential tacklers....though he always had much less fan fare.

Lingard will be fine I'm sure, but as he learns, will likely depend on clean blocking to get free as most Spring reports indicated....goes down too easily with quick contact and no wiggle. Cam does seem to be more the "keep the legs churning" type, but he is also now a Spring behind.

UM

We walked up the ramp at Hard Rock for the spring game. I was talking with my homies when I noticed a really cut and buff dude with a green canes shirt on. It was Cam; and I was like...., dayummmm! I didn’t say anything to him; but there were others around that recognized him. I told my boys who he was and they were like, “yep that’s a running back!” He looks the part fa sho, he’s going to be a beast..

Advertisement
Back