Cam Harris...summed up in one play

If he squared his shoulders that’s 10-15 yards easy. He could have been thinking pick up the first and get out of bounds. Which led his angle towards the sideline

Advertisement
They should have let him transfer when he did his crybaby routine last year
I still remember watching that live last year at a home game. Can’t remember the game anymore but he & Hickson went at it pretty good and it seemed more heated than a normal heated discussion between a player & coach. Like people got between the two. He didn’t play the rest of the game.

Advertisement
cam averaged 3.2 yards per carry on 12 carries. chaney averaged 3.3 yards per carry on 7 carries. why are we ripping one and embracing the other?

cam averaged 3.2 yards per carry on 12 carries. chaney averaged 3.3 yards per carry on 7 carries. why are we ripping one and embracing the other?
The stats never enter a Cam Harris discussion. Look at the stats from last year as another example.

Again, Chaney is more talented and I want him to be the top guy now that he's healthy. But there is a reason Cam averages over 5.1 ypc in his career. He is a legit home-run hitter.

He had the best yards per carry on the team, too. A full yard over Knighton. He’s never been under 5.

Again, Chaney should start and Cam has limitations but this thread reeks of knee jerk. Teams have to account for his strengths. He will break open a game or two with his speed.
Stop going back and forth with them. It's a waste of time.

The real reason why Cam is starting is because Don can't pass block. He isn't physical enough in pass blocking and half-asses it. Go rewatch the Bama game, Harris took Chaney's lunch money on the play King got sacked by Harris.

Until Don improves that area of his game, he's a liability. Also, giving Don starter snaps makes our offense predictable because the chance of it being a run play is higher. If our coaches see it on film other teams will see it on film as well.

Stop going back and forth with them. It's a waste of time.

The real reason why Cam is starting is because Don can't pass block. He isn't physical enough in pass blocking and half-asses it. Go rewatch the Bama Harris took Chaney's lunch money on the play King got sacked by Harris.

Until Don improves that area of his game, he's a liability. Also, giving Don starter snaps makes our offense predictable because the chance of it being a run play is higher. If our coaches see it on film other teams will see it on film as well.
exactly. even derrick henry had to split carries with tj yeldon.

Advertisement
Harris is a good player who gets killed because of what he isn’t. He’s not an everydown, Canes-caliber back. He doesn’t have that balance or wiggle. But he has top-tier long speed, he can catch and he’s tough.

Don’t get me wrong, Chaney is the best back. But Harris still had the best numbers last year. He doesn’t suck.

Eh. Suck is a strong word. But he’s not a caliber of back that can make a difference here. He should be a change of pace back, at best. He’s got excellent long speed and he’s strong, but he’s way too robotic and plays smaller than his size.

As far as his numbers last year, he did have the best YPC. But for one you’re comparing him against 2 true freshmen who didn’t have an off-season due to Covid. And two he had some AWFUL performances against good teams. Surely not all his fault, but he basically gets what’s blocked. No more, no less.

Clemson 8 carries for 3 yards
Pitt 12 carries for 12 yards
UVA 8 carries for 8 yards

Again, it’s a team game. But a 3 game stretch where your starting back has 28 carries for 23 yards is…..something.

I don’t fault the staff entirely here. Chaney had a pretty significant injury and it’s a long season, I don’t have a problem with working him in. And Knighton hurt himself and the team with his actions. So it’s kind of Cam or nothing at the moment. But by the time ACC play rolls around, Cam is getting more than 3rd in the rotation burn and touches, the staff needs to have their heads examined. I think sane coaching will prevail and you’ll see less and less of him as the season goes along, Don gets further away from his injury and Knighton is available.

As far as his numbers last year, he did have the best YPC. But for one you’re comparing him against 2 true freshmen who didn’t have an off-season due to Covid. And two he had some AWFUL performances against good teams. Surely not all his fault, but he basically gets what’s blocked. No more, no less.
Remember how teams played us after Cam destroyed UAB and Louisville? They took away the run. That says a lot about the threat of Cam's speed.

Chaney should be the main runner although @Cane4life18 is right about his pass blocking. Knighton is a pure projection at this point. I like him and he had a good camp, but nothing he has done on the field to this point suggests he should be ahead of Cam. Let these guys earn it on the field.

Why is there always some conspiracy? Or an attack on our players?

If Harris is the better blocker, he was the logical choice against Alabama with Don being rushed back from injury, Rooster suspended, Brown coming in later and Thad showing up behind schedule.

In that play it was 3rd and 1 at the end of the second quarter, we all wish he took it to the house, but the blocking wasn’t sustained, coupled with his angle appearing he was trying to move the chains vs. bust one. And I agree he should have taken it straight up as it had the potential to do both.

There are elements of Don and Rooster I prefer to Cam, but I’m not going to **** all over Cam because of it.

Everyone hyped Cam up after he ran over a Florida defender in 2019 for a whopping 1 yard gain. He can’t touch the field, let him sulk on the bench, put in Chaney and let him go to work.

I’m tired of seeing 4 year guys who have shown no improvement continue to hold back talented freshman. We hype our recruiting classes every year, for what?! We don’t play them, and they either leave, or get stuck on the depth chart and their development is halted. Big time programs don’t play favorites.

This BS is happening all over our depth chart. James Williams, Chaney, Kinchens, Oluwaseun all need to see the field.
Also, please get Jennings off of my TV screen. And Mccloud + Ivey too. Straight up garbage that keeps getting trotted out there expecting a different result. It’s insanity. And it’s clear favoritism. This **** can’t be based on talent or practice performance.

Advertisement
Yes, I think the guy with a career 5.1 ypc is a good college player. Call me crazy.
crazy. Football is not a game where you look at statistics and judge someone. ND QB last night threw for more yards in a opener than any QB in program history. Is he good?

The stats never enter a Cam Harris discussion. Look at the stats from last year as another example.

Again, Chaney is more talented and I want him to be the top guy now that he's healthy. But there is a reason Cam averages over 5.1 ypc in his career. He is a legit home-run hitter.
5.1 isn’t that good at the college level. Duke never averaged less than 6.3. **** yearby averaged 6 ypc 2 of his 3 years.

5.1 isn’t that good at the college level. Duke never averaged less than 6.3. **** yearby averaged 6 ypc 2 of his 3 years.
Now compare it to the rest of the backs on our roster.

For reference, Cam averaged 5.9 as a freshman.

Advertisement
I've been a broken record suggesting we have no idea what we have at RB and should've gotten a portal RB. They did not practice Spring or Fall and then go up against the best defense in college sports. Miami and RB are synonymous, hopefully one of the new guys shows up or our starters get far more aggressive.

Late in the first half, Harris took a pitch to the right. One defender being blocked and nothing but green grass for as far as the eye can see......

View attachment 153616

This run ends up being a 4 yard gain. To ***** this up is almost unfathomable. It's hard to imagine even the most pedestrian rb only gaining 4 yards here. If you have any instincts, cutting ability, speed, power, vision.....any of that stuff, this is a big gainer. Imagine if Portis, McGahee, Duke, or even a guy like DeeJay Dallas had taken this carry and what the result what have been.

We should ALWAYS have a difference maker at the rb position. There are lot of rbs out there who can do damage either via speed or power or vision etc. And plenty of guys that want to come here. That we have a guy this ordinary as our starting rb is just mind boggling to me. Harris doesn't have any of the traits you want in a great rb. None of them.

I don’t believe any player or any position can be properly summed up in one play. My godfather, a man enshrined in the CFB Hall of Fame, made that comment after a National sportswriter tried doing the same thing on one of his OL players. That OL is now enshrined at Canton, OH. As an aside, Alabama makes a lot of teams look bad or worse. So lighten up a bit on Cam.

Harris is a good player who gets killed because of what he isn’t. He’s not an everydown, Canes-caliber back. He doesn’t have that balance or wiggle. But he has top-tier long speed, he can catch and he’s tough.

Don’t get me wrong, Chaney is the best back. But Harris still had the best numbers last year. He doesn’t suck.
The best numbers because someone had to get the majority of the carries, no? If all things equal you stand by that? I’m really raising my eyebrow

I’ve said it over and over again… get Cam Harris off that field!! His problem is that he jumps, then run! Where as Don Chaney runs, then jumps cuts/juke if he needs too. Don Chaney will only get positive yards or get to the LOS. Cam will get loss of yards. And I don’t want to hear anything about our O-Line because that’s not it. It’s Cam.

Advertisement
Back